• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Item - Stumbleducks Hot Sauce

The Edge

First Post
Ive also posted this on the item a day thread, but I thought it was best to do it this way to get some feedback without clutering the other thread.

Heres my item im working on. Invented by a gnomish inventer/Illusionist, "its currently being worked on", to quote what the NPC said to the characters. Whether old Stumbleduck ever finishes it in game, will depend on whether I get it worked out. this is it...

Stumbleducks Hot Sauce

This smallish square glass bottle contains a opaque liquid, a strong red in colour. When exposed to air the hot sauce heats rapidly to a temperature of (?very hot, I’m not exactly sure?). If pour across a appropriate floor (no holes, not porous etc) it will cover a 5 ft square. Any creature lacking sufficient foot protection is burned and takes damage and effects as cantrips would. Thick soled boots will protect the wearer, though possibly being ruined doing so. Thinner shoes will not protect. The sauce will ignite any reasonably flammable object with sufficient contact. The hot sauce remains dangerously hot for half an hour, after which it gradually cools. The sauce is in fact edible (provided it is allowed time to cool), giving it the most useful ability to both cook and season your food. Once cooled it has hot spicy taste, yet still remaining slightly warm from before. If thrown as a splash weapon, the sudden contact with air causes a more violent heating, sending small sauce coated shards of glass in all directions. Dealing (?d?) piercing and fire damage to all creatures in (?maybe 5 ft ?) radius.

Its an unfinished idea, hence the holes in the description. Also it has more uses such as a weapon coating, which I'd have to consider. Who knows what players would think of? My main aim is to make sure its balanced with other items and such. I was also hopeing it wouldnt be too expensive, Im considering toneing it down if it turns out too expensive.

so what do you think?

(ps - my font has gone wrong, and I cant seem to fix it. odd)
(ps - Hah! fixed it)

Last edited:

Devin Cole

First Post
I assume this is an alchemical substance and not a magic item. That being said I love it. I could see a little gnome pouring some in a hallway to slow down enemies. My suggestions are to make it cause 1d4 damage to exposed skin and allow it to ignite combustables that it comes in contact with. maybe allow anyone who comes in contact with it a reflex save DC 12 or so or catch fire. This is different then the other alchemical fire in that it does not ignite itself. If im off base please tell me....I like it

Gnome armorers and weapons smiths could carry around a gallon of this stuff and have a portable smithy ;)

JimAde

First Post
I think you should start with Alchemist's Fire as your rules basis.

That does 1d6 damage (+1d6 the next round), can be used as a thrown weapon, and doesn't persist if thrown on the ground.

Caltrops do 1 point of damage (if they hit) but more importantly can half your movement rate. They are persistent (permanent, really)

So I would suggest you price it like Alchemist's fire, but only have it do 1 point of damage like a caltrop if used as a weapon coating or stepped on (including movement damage). Instead of an attack roll like a caltrop, you should use a saving throw (reflex, presumably), since the sauce will cover the surface completely. You would also not be able to move through at half-speed safely. If hit with a direct attack, it can still do just one point, but will continue to do so every round for a fairly long time (maybe 10 rounds).

I love this idea, by the way. The fact that it can cook and season your food at the same time makes it very cool and incredibly handy for those times you're stuck in the wilderness and don't want to give away your position with a camp fire. :)

The Edge

First Post
Oops, yep I meant caltrops.

Hmm. Priceing is my main problem at the moment. If it had the same efects as alchemist's fire, that puts it at +20gp striaght away. Plus the other attributes means more. I need my books with me, but i havent got them.

so
If used as caltrops - 1 point of damage + Movement damage if steped in, except with good boots. canot move through slowly to avoid. Reflex save at DC12 to avoid catching on fire.
If used as splash weapon - 1d6 damage on first round + 1d6 on next round, but doesn't leave the persisting pudle. What about the catching on fire bit, should that apply here too?
If used as sauce/cooking stuf - thatsa spicy meataball.
If used as weapon coating - 1 damage per round for 10 rounds, or maybe d20 rounds.
If used as shampoo - Bad Idea.
PRICE - ???

needs a bit more work

By the way, thanks for your help, and glad you like it.

The Edge

First Post
dedicated said:
Weapon coating?
Just don't let them put it on a weapon with a metal hilt, or they would take damage from the heat too :D:]:D

Are you sure? Quick fire (is that its name?) doesn't, so i was figureing this wouldn't either. Another matter is what happens if its fully poured directly onto a creture, :confused: ouch.

Remove ads