• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Itens: Mystic Gems

balam_br

Explorer
I dont know if this already exist somewhere... pardon me if it´s not a new idea.

I was thinking about some "resource" mystic gem for the arcane spellcasters.

This gem will have a single spell stored in ti. and the spellcaster can access this power in different ways.

a Wizard can cast the stored spell spontaneously, spending one of his spell slots of the same level or higher level, even if the spell isnt in his spellbook.

A Sorcerer (or another spontaneous caster) Can cast the spell like it was in his "spells know" list... effectively adding the spell to his list.

The spellcaster need to attune to the gem in the morning, and he is allowed to have only one gem attuned at any time.

Does this seems uber? how much do you evaluate this in Gold coins? ;-)
Please, i wanna some feedback!

Ferret

Explorer
You might be able to find good guidlines in either the SRD, or the DMG. It should have a Spell per day rulling (the method seems slightly less powerful, so you might want a 5% or even 10% of the price), which would suit your idea, which I like BTW.

warlord

First Post
They have that in R.A. Salvatore's campaign setting Demonstone. I wonder how such an evil man got his own setting.

ender_wiggin

First Post
warlord said:
They have that in R.A. Salvatore's campaign setting Demonstone. I wonder how such an evil man got his own setting.

*laughs violently*

sorry, I just thought that was somewhat funny, I mean, after I saw your avatar.....

FireLance

Legend
I pretty much had the same idea some time ago (see this thread).

With the new 3.5e rules for staffs, I would change the pricing. Staffs allow a spellcaster to cast a spell using his own caster level (if it is higher than the caster level of the staff) and his own ability scores and feats to set the DC of the saving throws. Effectively, the spellcaster casts the spell himself, but expends a charge from the staff instead of one of his spell slots.

The base price of a staff is spell level x caster level (minimum 8th) x 750 gp. I would not change the base price for expending a spell slot instead of a charge as both are limitations of the same order, in my view (merely changing an absolute cap to a per day limitation). I would lower the price somewhat as it effectively becomes a spell completion item (as a scroll) rather than a spell trigger item (as a wand or staff).

My final suggested pricing is spell level x caster level (minimum 8th) x 500 gp for a slotted item such as a ring, an amulet or a headband, double that for a slotless item such as a tatoo, an icon or a rune held in the hand. The item only imparts spell knowlegde; the caster will still have to provide material components, focuses and XP (where relevant) himself.

balam_br

Explorer
Thanks a lot for the replies!

Firelance, your idea simply is perfect for the thing i was creating, if you allow me, im gonna borrow this to my campaign! thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads