D&D 5E New Legend and Lore is up! Magic Systems as DM Modules

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The aspect of this whole thing that I actually like is that if they do indeed make this swap... they are telling us that WE (the players of the game) get to choose what each class's default casting mechanics are, rather than them. We decide to make Wizards Vancian, Sorcerers spell pointed, and Warlock encounter-based (because that makes the most story sense for our individual campaign). Or we make Wizards, Clerics, Druids, and Sorcerers all spell-pointed and Warlocks don't exist (because that makes the most story sense for this other game of ours). Or whatever combo of class and mechanics we want based entirely upon what makes the most story sense for us.

And I have a hard time finding fault with that.

With the exception of the mythical "completely new group of players who aren't being shown the game for the first time by an experienced one"... players have an idea what works and doesn't work for their D&D games. We've had upwards of forty years and five plus editions of the game to figure out our preferences. So WotC seems to finally letting the reins go and telling us "You tend to know what works for you and your game... so we'll give you the tools, and you can build your toolbox. We don't need to assign you a 'default' toolbox for you anymore because you're knowledgeable enough to built your own anyway. (But if by some chance you really want one, we'll give you a couple in the back of the book to look at.)"

WotC's basically telling us we're big boys and girls and can put on our own big-kid pants... and allowing us to choose for ourselves what makes the most sense for our game. And I for one appreciate it.

Dalamar

Adventurer
You can't set things on fire with Fireball anyway. Remember Chris Perkins's ruling of how drow darkfire can't affect a door because "It's not a creature?" The function of the power is to deal damage and you cannot use it independently of that because it is primarily a mechanical construct (unless your DM is super nice).
You're mixing up Darkfire with some other ability, because it doesn't actually do any damage, fire or otherwise. It's the 4e version of casting Faerie Fire on a creature.

Not that it negates everything else that you've said, but the point stuck out to me.

VinylTap

First Post
Is it worth pointing out the system they're proposing essentially allows for anyone to play the system they want? If you want to lock vancian to wizards you're completely capable of doing it, and in fact WOTC is doing a lot to give you those options, presenting them properly and hopefully balancing them well.

When talking about presentation, I have a feeling wizard, sorcerer and warlock will all be in the PHB with their respective "classic" systems attached. They will simply be presented in a modular fashion that will enable players to swap out the systems they desire somewhat elegantly as they're building it into the system.

variant

Adventurer
I think the question is what book the optional systems will be in. If they get shoved in the PHB, that is no better than simply letting the player choose.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
How will this be different than picking and choosing the magic systems I have available on the market and in the wild today?

I'm intrigued by 5e and think success would be good.

But I already have what this article is talking about (Psychic from Green Ronin, Divine casters don't memorize, etc)

Honest question, no tricks...after reading most of the thread...whats the benefit of switching to their "modules", what comes from being with 5e magic system?

VinylTap

First Post
I think the question is what book the optional systems will be in. If they get shoved in the PHB, that is no better than simply letting the player choose.

Not from the designer's perspective, I don't think. It has a lot to do with how the the rules are presented. There is a sizable desire out there for a solid set of rules. Its one thing to tinker with the rules, and its another to have those options embedded in the rules. Not everyone is looking for a loose framework of malleable rules. Some people are looking for gospel-- and i think that's fair, people are dropping 150+ on books, give them a "GAME", not a "suggestion". People have limited free time, and testing out a ton of "house rules" is time consuming both in conception and testing, they just want to get out there an play! By building that modularity into the "gospel" they've enabled both types of players. They're opening doors without closing any, and that's a great thing.

The new mentality of "gospel" doesn't negate the "old school" malleable interpretation of of the game.

Also, everything we've seen so far from the design team has been moving towards a flavorful and "unique" play experience from each class. I have no doubt they're keeping this mentality, like I've said in a previous post-- they've only closed one avenue of specialization (and they're not closing it completely).

Also, the whole "does vancian define the essence of a DND wizard", they did fine in 4th without vancian, I don't see how you can argue its "fluff gospel".

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd defend my DM on a few points by saying she (a) quite reasonably didn't want to deal with me lighting terrain on fire in every combat and ratcheting up the damage to everyone and winging mechanics for fire spreading and all that noise, and (b) was quite explicitly applying the rules as they were meant to be applied. One of the reasons the rules were written like that was probably explicitly to prevent mischievous players like me from burning down an entire village whenever they get into a bar brawl. It would've taken a lot of mindshare of the DM and it would've cast some chaos into the stories and adventures she had planned, and DMs have been squishing that kind of inventiveness since OD&D. ;)

I am simply making the point that keywords aren't the thing that tethers rules to the reality of the world in 4e. In fact, that very little actually tethers the rules to the reality of the world in 4e, and that this is frequently touted as a strength of the system, a reason it's easy to reskin, a reason it's easy to balance, a reason why one mage with a fire fetish can't commandeer the entire campaign and that rogues aren't handicapped when you run an undead-themed adventure. I think all of this is true. And potentially problematic for some players. I also think that this fence between mechanics and fiction is something that, in tearing it down, we can unearth the true differences between the spellcasting classes as they are in the fiction of the game, without having them blend together as much as 4e classes did for me. Which is why scratching out Ranger and putting in Fighter in 4e is different, in my mind, from what 5e is likely to do with wizards and sorcerers and warlocks and magic systems.

Anyway. That's been a pretty big digression. :) Back to the big ambiguous news!

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Well, here's my unsolicited, uninformed feedback on what I think the wizard might look like with an interchangeable magic system...

I agree that the "spellcasting system" does not define the wizard. Vancian, AEDU, spell points, spontaneous, recharge.... My concept of the wizard is independent of each of these systems.

The "hook" for my D&D wizard is the spellbook, memorization every day, and collecting spell after powerful spell from dusty tomes and crackling scrolls.

So, I can see the wizard with the feature "Spellbook" that interacts independently of the spellcasting system.

If a Sorcerer chooses the AEDU spellcasting structure, then they have to preselect permanent spells for each of those slots. The wizard, on the other hand, has a spellbook with twice the choices for spells, and is able to add spells to the spellbook every level and with treasure. The wizard with the AEDU spellcasting structure can choose which spells from the spellbook to prepare in each of those at-will, encounter, or daily slots.

That flexibility seems powerful without being unbalanced. Is this use of a spellbook the same power level when paired with any spellcasting system? I'm not sure. Is it just as powerful as the sorcerers bloodline effects or the warlock's pact boons? I don't know. Perhaps the wizard would need an additional feature bump to put in on balance with these features from other classes (Arcane Implements, anyone?). But I think it's possible.

Tovec

Explorer
Okay, two points. First, even having different primary spellcasters use different spell levels would make the various spellcasting systems much more difficult to present. Rather than having one chart for how many Vancian memorized spells per day a spellcaster gets at each level, you'd need a different chart for classes with 5, 7, and 9 levels of spells. (Same for distribution of spell points, etc.)
As long as the power structure is along the lines of .. wizard has more spells known, less per day .. sorcerer has more power per day (or in a single go) but less spells known .. and the warlock has a small list but infinite uses - or the equivilent - what does it matter which system. There COULD BE a default set in the classes chapter of the book, then at the back or even under the magic section they talk about variants or ways to change that default. That way new players wouldn't be lost but experienced players could use whichever mechanics they like right out of the core.

Second, having five or seven levels of spells wouldn't actually change the basic conceits of wizard-style spells: spells must have a static power level tied to their level. In 5e, the Fireball spell does the same damage whether you cast it at level 5 or at level 20. By forcing every spellcasting class to fit this mold (in the name of "modularity"), you're actually closing off the very common archetype of a spellcaster who uses a limited number of spells but gets more powerful with them as he/she progresses. The warlock works this way in the playtest and in 3.5e: you're casting Eldritch Blast at level 1 and at level 20, but it gets much more powerful.
The example really isn't important anymore so I'll drop it. But I think all of this has to do with the nature of spells, certainly if you are casting the same spell at 20th then it should look different from level 1. If you have a default style or table and then a way to EASILY modify that mechanic into something else then it is a win-win. That way they could make all casters use the 3e/spell slot system and give options to turn it all into AEDU.

IMHO that mode fo thinking leads to the PHB as a Rules Compendium: here is a list of cool mechanics we thought up, mix and match them to make your preferred character. Now we "advanced" players tend to enjoy stuff like that - I personally love homebrewing - but there's a lot to be said for having The Pros design classes all the way through and make them as seamless and elegant as possible.
I think it should certainly be simple. But let me put it this way. (You need to be familiar with 3e's regular spells and psionics.) If, in the spells chapter, they had the spell listed with its original 3e style involving spell level, and then another minor section - maybe 2 lines or something - that gave its psionic (pp) cost what would be the harm? Two birds with one stone and you are looking at an extra 2 lines per spell. It would have a similar effect but with small adjustments to allow completely different spell mechanics all the while being in the same book. Now there would be no need for PHB and Expanded Psioncs Handbook, we would only need one.

Sorcerers and warlocks only came into existence as 3.x alternates to prepared Vancian spellcasting.
I never really played any edition prior to 3e so I'll have to take your word for it. Although, here I assume you are using vancian as in memorization, because both of those classes still used spell slots.

I'm sorry - do you mean here that memorization should or shouldn't be required for the wizard class? My assumption from the L&L article was that non-preparation would be an option as well.
In my ideal world, the default wizard (which would be known as the universal wizard) would use a spellbook and memorization. But I would also have several different kinds of wizards put under the same heading. For me wizards are less about spellbooks and memorization and more about contingencies, preparedness and versatility. As well as power sources drawn from the ether and not from their own blood. All of these qualities would work with a blood mage, a wild mage, a psion, and so on.

And for me a sorcerer would be about power from within, be that a bloodline or something else. I think sorcerers should have less spells known or available to them because they aren't about that. But they should instead have a greater impact or explosion of power above the wizard. Granted this is mostly foreign to 3e's style so I don't know where I got it but that is my preference.

To be clearer, in the current playtest the sorcerer automatically grows scales and gains an elemental resistance when he has used 10 willpower (spell points). This specific effect - automatically transform the sorcerer when he's used a chunk of his magical power for the day - would be tough to translate to a spontaneous Vancian system. (Does it trigger when he casts his first level 3 spell of the day? When he casts all his level 2 spells?)
Maybe they would get something like a barbarian's rage (again from 3e) and a certain amount of rounds they would grow scales and get other effects. Although this growing scales thing IS fairly 5e dependent and not so universal so I don't know if that is even necessary.

However if it is necessary and a part of sorcerers then I absolutely expect them to make concessions for it no matter which mechanics the DM/setting associates with sorcerers. For all I care sorcerers could be set to spell-slots, with warlocks having power points and wizards having at wills. The powers themselves (effects and oomph) have more to do which the class's uniqueness than the mechanical structure.

They already tried this in the abstract a while back with L&L columns on class concepts. We got lots of stuff like "the fighter is good at fighting" and "the paladin hates evii," which IMHO doesn't get you very far WITHOUT some specific mechanics to tie it to. That's the thing: the mechanical execution is closely tied to the feel of the class.
And if I were writing an L+L for my system then you would get tidbits of information. What is your point? I am not a professional developer nor am I working for WotC. I give them (and you) feedback but I don't do their job for them, especially when I'm working on my own system.

To take a 4e example: if I asked you what the fighter is, you wouldn't say, "He's a guy who marks his enemies so he gets free attacks on them if they attack someone else." But in thinking through the martial defender concept and how it would play out, they came up with marking mechanics - which I believe are actually quite good at making the player "feel" like a defender.
Actually, I would define 4e's fighter as a guy who marks. And if I didn't then I would certainly be forced to define him as a melee fighter and nothing else. I don't see what this has to do with the mechanics the fighter is using - BAB, AEDU. It has to do with his powers, just as casters would and should be.

Spellcasting mechanics seem the same to me. Want the wizard to be a nerdy guy who gets incredible power through careful study and preparation? Make preparation a key part of playing the class effectively. Want the warlock to be a guy who makes a deal to borrow magical power but at a deep personal cost? Well, he's not going to need to study like the wizard, and he's not going to drain all his energy in casting - after all, the whole point is that his magic is supposed to come "easy!" Give him encounter powers instead but make him stay in close magical contact with his patron. The mechanics reinforce the archetype and spur the player to approach situations like his character would.
Okay I think this is the main crux of my argument. I HOPE that WotC puts more effort into one of two things.

Either (A) they can put effort into allowing me to make whatever kind of caster I want. That means mixing all toolkits I can until I get the desired outcome. That means allowing me to play a guy with a breadth of options and any system I prefer and calling that class a wizard. Instead of having to take a 'sorcerer' and call him a wizard so that I can get the sorcerer's mechanic along with all that comes with it.
What if I don't want to play a bookish prepared guy, but don't want scales or having to make a dark pact to get power? Why are those the only options.
Hopefully with this idea I can also make a fighter-wizard or even sorcerer-wizard if I wanted. The ideas wouldn't be exclusive anymore. I could combine the wizard's progression with the sorcerer's progression and not be stuck with 2 different mechanical systems.

Or (B) they make a huge whack of character classes until I can select what I want without having to get a bunch of stuff I don't and without having to give up the concept. That means making a wizard, a wild mage, a wu jen, a warlock, an illusionist, a sorcerer, a transmuter, a summoner, a necromancer, a blood mage, a truenamer, a binder, etc. Basically until they have EVERY caster from every DnD edition to date.
That way I get the options I need to make the character I want. Because in this system, which you seem to be advocating, I can swap nothing out nor get the mechanics to line up differently.
Also, don't get me started on divine classes, or ones that cross-over.

Oh, the other problem with this is that I HATE the current fluff with the warlock. So even if it had my absolute favourite spell mechanics I would avoid it.

Meh, don't like. The defining characteristic of wizards, sorcerers, psions, and so on is their casting mechanic. A wizard who casts like a sorcerer is a sorcerer with slightly altered fluff. I also think that mechanics should support the fluff, which is lost in this approach.
Everything else I wanted to say here was already covered. I just wanted to add: I absolutely agree that the classes should match the fluff and so should their powers. But I don't see anything inherently wrong with mixing AEDU or vancian or power points or w/e between the classes. A 4e wizard feels like a 4e wizard, a 3e wizard feels like a 3e wizard. I want it so that I can take the 3e mechanics or the 4e mechanics and use them with a wizard and still feel like a wizard. I'm not suggesting, I don't think anyone has been, that we take the sorcerer mechanics, abilities and spells and call them a wizard.

Honestly I'd call that bad DMing period, no matter what Chris Perkins says. I would no longer be immersed in the story and the surrounds if a DM pulled that over us. Its the dreaded badwrongfun, at least to me and my group it would be.
I really don't want to get into that conversation again, but immersion is highly subjective. And immersion is going to break for me as soon as there is non-magical healing in any form - so 4e in any form :p So fire not targeting a door because it isn't a creature isn't much more of a stretch.

I'm pretty sure that's partially contradicted by rules in the DMG, where use of powers against objects is allowed at the GMs discretion. And I'm fairly sure the last part is meant for the situation where someone wants to smash a stone door with their fire spells, rather than setting something dry on fire with them. (I assume it was a dry bush, not a soaking wet one.) Alternatively, use Prestidigitation and warm something up until it catches fire.

Edit: Also, 3e made it specific that Fireball ddn't set things on fire.
Fireball :: d20srd.org
"The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area."
Yes it does?

Not from the designer's perspective, I don't think. It has a lot to do with how the the rules are presented. There is a sizable desire out there for a solid set of rules. Its one thing to tinker with the rules, and its another to have those options embedded in the rules. Not everyone is looking for a loose framework of malleable rules. Some people are looking for gospel-- and i think that's fair, people are dropping 150+ on books, give them a "GAME", not a "suggestion". People have limited free time, and testing out a ton of "house rules" is time consuming both in conception and testing, they just want to get out there an play! By building that modularity into the "gospel" they've enabled both types of players. They're opening doors without closing any, and that's a great thing.

The new mentality of "gospel" doesn't negate the "old school" malleable interpretation of of the game.

Also, everything we've seen so far from the design team has been moving towards a flavorful and "unique" play experience from each class. I have no doubt they're keeping this mentality, like I've said in a previous post-- they've only closed one avenue of specialization (and they're not closing it completely).

Also, the whole "does vancian define the essence of a DND wizard", they did fine in 4th without vancian, I don't see how you can argue its "fluff gospel".

As I said earlier, how hard is it so present a default setting for a class. Say how 5e is now. And then add a PART (it wouldn't even require a full chapter) to the magic, spells or another chapter about how you could use AEDU instead of the wizard's spells per day.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
With the exception of the mythical "completely new group of players who aren't being shown the game for the first time by an experienced one"
This was me in 3.0. And my group. I was leading them through it after reading it, and I didn't really have prior official RPG experience (I had highly structured lego and star wars micro machine games where I RPed, but 3.0 was my first "system"). And we got through it fine. There were mistakes, yes, and we learned from them. I think that, even then, we could handle the "here, pick a system you want to use." But, at the time, we were all AP or CP high school students, so I'm not sure how this maps out to most players. I'd imagine that since there's so many former CP/AP students that are interested in gaming, at least someone from each group could probably get the gist and teach the rest, like I did.

I don't know. I pretty much agree with your post, and I'm part of the mythical group you mentioned. As always, play what you like :)

Remove ads