• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Light Armored Warrior Class

Valiantheart

First Post
WarDancer

A Wardancer is a fleet-footed, lightly armored warrior who relies more on his skill, wit and maneuverability than on his armor to survive.

Weapon and Armor proficiency: The Wardancer is proficient with all simple and martial weapon and light armor.
Hit Die: d8

Skills
Skill Points a First Level: (4 + Intelligence bonus) x 4
Skill Points at Higher levels: 4 + Intelligence bonus
Class Skills: The Wardancer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (courtesy, history, and warfare) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).

Wardancer
Level Base Attack Bonus Fortitude Save Reflex Save Will Save Special
1 +1 +1 +1 +0 Bonus Feat
2 +2 +2 +2 +0
3 +3 +2 +2 +1 Canny Defense
4 +4 +2 +2 +1 Bonus Feat
5 +5 +3 +3 +1 Uncanny Dodge
6 +6/+1 +3 +3 +2
7 +7/+2 +4 +4 +2 Deflect Arrows
8 +8/+3 +4 +4 +2 Bonus Feat
9 +9/+4 +4 +4 +3
10 +10/+5 +5 +5 +3 Improved Uncanny Dodge
11 +11/+6/+1 +5 +5 +3
12 +12/+7+2 +6 +6 +4 Bonus Feat
13 +13/+8/+3 +6 +6 +4
14 +14/+9/+4 +6 +6 +4 Improved Charge
15 +15/+10/+5 +7 +7 +5
16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +7 +7 +5 Bonus Feat
17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +8 +8 +5 First Strike
18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +8 +8 +6
19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +8 +8 +6
20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +9 +9 +6 Bonus Feat

Bonus Feats: The Wardancer has the same bonus feat list as the fighter class including access to Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization. For any feat which requires a certain number of Fighter levels, Wardancer levels stack and are the equivalent of Fighter levels.

Canny Defense: A Wardancer in light or no armor may apply his intelligence bonus as a dodge bonus against a single opponent in a given round. Regardless of his intelligence bonus this bonus can never exceed one half of the Wardancer’s level.

Deflect Arrows: A Wardancer in light or no armor may use a weapon to automatically deflect one missile weapon that targets him per round.

First Strike: The Wardancer receives a +2 to their initiative.

Improved Charge: A Wardancer may make a charge attack even when they do not have a straight line to their target or if they must move over rough terrain. A Wardancer may make a single change of direction when they charge

Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge: See PHB.

This is a lightly armored fighter alternative. This class relies on quickness to get by but still has a healthy amount of bonus feats to specialize. Also, access to fighter exclusive feats like weapon specialization really allow it to hit hard. I also like the fact that you arent relegated to using a rapier with this class to be effective. Its as perfectly viable to use a greatsword or axe.

Last edited:

Inari

First Post
I admit only glancing over this class, but DAMN! Anyone that's read Arcana Unearthed, knows this is just TOO much like the Unfettered. The abilities are almost identicle (although not quite, as the Unfettered is made according to the AU rules).

Seriously man, you need to take a look at that book. It grasps a very similiar concept, although the Unfettered is all about the chaotic spirit, the need not to announce any alligiance. Still, he pretty much has the same abilities.

EDIT: On second thought, after looking a bit more into it, this class is more powerful than the Unfettered. Having access to all the fighter-specific feats (specialization and greater) seems like too much somehow, especially as you're allowing their levels to be the equivelant of fighter levels. If you're intent on having those feats, have it perhaps fighter levels -3 or -4 (and a note saying that this never resaults in a minus, when multiclassing with fighter levels)

Last edited:

Valiantheart

First Post
Hmm, I just glanced at the Unfettered and Im not so sure its more powerful. Unfettered can take weapon specialization, receive a 5d6 backstab, have a class based dodge bonus and get evasion. Hmm, I didnt really think about the class when designing this one but I see how you could come by that conclusion. The deflect arrow is weaker than the parry ranged attacks. The magic parry is almost the same too. I think I might remove that. Altogether though this class seems to fulfill the basic swashbuckling requirements and provides a more mobile version of the fighter.

Really lets breakdown what this class has:
6 bonus feats
Uncanny dodge
Deflect Arrow
1/2 Improved Initiative (i made a change)
A stronger version of dodge
A better charge
2 more skill points

He doesnt get:
Medium or Heavy armor
Shields
5 fewer fighter feats
a smaller hit die

Last edited:

Aaron2

Explorer
Valiantheart said:
Hmm, I just glanced at the Unfettered and Im not so sure its more powerful.

This class is far less powerful than Unfettered. The Unfettered get a massive AC bonus and sneak attack and the ever useful Evasion. But then, all the AU classes are over the top.

Anyway, I prefer a straight AC bonus to using Int. But that's just me. I'd also give this class a virtual (light armor only) version of Expertise and Superior Expertise. Those feats are an easy way to represent parrying.

Also, might replace the auto abilities (deflect, imp init, imp charge) with a set of player chosen fighting sytles. Kinda like the way Warhammer's wardancers work.

Aaron

Valiantheart

First Post
Aaron2 said:
This class is far less powerful than Unfettered. The Unfettered get a massive AC bonus and sneak attack and the ever useful Evasion. But then, all the AU classes are over the top.

Anyway, I prefer a straight AC bonus to using Int. But that's just me. I'd also give this class a virtual (light armor only) version of Expertise and Superior Expertise. Those feats are an easy way to represent parrying.

Also, might replace the auto abilities (deflect, imp init, imp charge) with a set of player chosen fighting sytles. Kinda like the way Warhammer's wardancers work.

Aaron

Good point about the auto-abilities I might do that. As far as the expertise though I dont think so. He does get 6 bonus feats after all and can pick them if he chooses.

Remove ads