• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New LOTR DVD's out in Aug.

Starman

Adventurer
*rolls eyes* How many times can companies release the same movie?

I all ready own the extended versions of all three, but the documentaries sound interesting. I wish those would be released separately, but I know they won't. I guess I'll have to pass.

sniffles

First Post
Ditto. I'm a huge LOTR fan, but I already bought the theatrical releases and the extended versions. I don't need any more copies of those movies!

RigaMortus2

First Post
Despite popular belief, not everyone owns either of the LotR movies...

It's like saying, "But I already have a car, why are they making newer models?"

delericho

Legend
Actually, those discs don't sound terribly appealing.

Disk 1 carries both the theatrical and extended versions via seamless branching. Given that the current extended editions are split across two discs, doesn't this mean they'll have had to use much higher compression rates, which result in lower picture and sound quality? I would also be doubtful whether the DTS and commentary tracks exist on these discs.

The second disc has this new documentary listed, but there's no indication of any other extras.

All of which makes these sets sound less appealing than the existing "Extended Edition" discs.

I guess they're worthwhile if you don't own these films on DVD yet. Otherwise, they sound like something to pass on.

Besides, isn't it almost time to abandon DVD for HD equivalents?

fnork de sporg

First Post
I suppose if you really wanted to own both versions and you hadn't yet bought them this might be a good deal for you. Except not really since the price of buying both versions off ebay is almost certainly less than buying this new one.

Value versus convenience, I guess.

Ranger REG

Explorer
RigaMortus2 said:
Despite popular belief, not everyone owns either of the LotR movies...

It's like saying, "But I already have a car, why are they making newer models?"
Actually, for me personally it is, "why the repackaging?"

Since I already have the movies, will they sell the documentary DVD that will be in the new package?

Or better yet, will they offer the same documentary DVD in the future hi-def edition?

sounds like they've latched onto the George Lucas mindset.

"Just keep re-releasing the same movies on different formats and with slightly different extras, and the fans will lap it up."

I bought the theatrical and extended versions of each film, so that's quite enough for me. Besides, that's money that can be better spent on DVDs I don't already have versions of.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads