• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Magical Item, Gloves of Throwing

Corlon

First Post
I was thinking that because bows can be enchanted, and their ammunition gets everything they shoot, and melee weapons of course always get their magical powers when attacking, so why do thrown weapons have to be enchanted seperately and unless they're returning you can only get them back based on what the DM lets you do, but usually it's when the monster dies.

So I came up with the Gloves of Throwing.
They take up your glove slot, but basically they can be enchanted with weapon enhancements and act like a bow does for its ammunition to thrown weapons.

Other things that should be worked out is does this enchantment stack with the weapon's enchantment, and such.

But just puting this up on enworld for people to put a price on it, rip it apart and pointing out why it's unbalanced, or anything else.

If your goal is to make throwing weapons as effective as a bow then I think the stacking rules from bows should be applied to thrown weapons. I see no problems with this item conceptually, and it fills a nice niche. I can just see the guy with the flaming gloves of throwing tossing off hand-axes that burst into flame.

Thulgrim

Corlon

First Post
This actually came from Jeph wanting to make a sai throwing character, and then realized it'd take too many feats for his rogue/fighter, so I made a straight fighter NPC that threw sais, and he was really cool, but most of his money was spent on one sai (low magic campaign) and he could easily throw three in a full round action.

Noldor Elf

First Post
Using just the base price of enchantment (+ masterwork glove ;-)) sounds quite good IF the glove is restricted to certain type of throwing weapon. If glove would work with any weapon, a character with Throw anything feat (S and F) coud easily abuse it.
If you think that price would still be too low, make the glowes to be a pair and require them to be enchanted as a double weapon.

Witch Doctor

First Post
Could also rule that there enchant to thrown weapons can only be used by one / a few weapons, there-by negating the throw anything loop-hole.

Quip

First Post
Cost should probably be either 150% or 200%, depending on how powerful you make it. Personally, I would restrict it to nonmagical weapons, perhaps also that they be masterwork. That both prevents stacking issues and keeps people from throwing around +5 flaming chairs. :)

Corlon

First Post
Yeah, my friends and I had some laughs about the +5 flame frost shock acid sonic chairs

I was thinking just one weapon, so if you really wanted to throw around +5 chairs, why shouldn't you be able to?

Quip

First Post
Bows do get the ability to stack bonuses, but bows also have a lot of disadvantages. They take up both your hands (this is only the glove slot), you can't normally add your strength to damage (needs to be composite), and you still need to pull out a weapon for melee (when throwing weapons you usually have a weapon in hand). Also, you can throw simple weapons like daggers, but regular crossobws dont get repeat fire, and you soak up an AoO to load them too.

...But basically the restriction is there to keep the cost down, and to let DR be bypassed by the thrown items without worrying about how that stacks with magic items. You can't use GMW on 50 daggers, afterall.

Hehe +5 chair does sound fun, you can do it but just keep the price higher. You could throw lots of things for greater effect, like holy water, acid, alchemists fire, thunderstones, even druids fire seeds.

...Just had an odd thought. A giant with these gloves, throwing a +5 flaming shocking freezing dwarf around. :D

Remove ads