• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New martial class (Praetorcaust) no longer in need of name!

drexes

First Post
Okay, so way back in second edition I had a small publisher product that had a new class in it. I really liked the feel of the class and have toyed with doing an update of it for a long while. That said I lost the original product and so everything here is coming from my very limited recollection of what was as it sifted through my much beer addled brain. :confused:

The class itself is dedicated to hunting down abberations, demons, and undead of all types. Through the focussing of thier will, they have the ability to enforce 'reality' on the unnatural. The class adventures for the sake of ridding the prime material of the baleful influence of outsiders and abbherrant creatures. I am going to work on some guild-esque fluff for them soon, but for now I am focusing on crunch. Crunch is always harder for me. I love to write fluff, and I find crunch dull by comparison, so I make myself get the crunch before I allow myself to write the fluff. The idea is already up there, so now it's just a matter of time. Please let me know what you think.

Praetorcaust

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The praetorcaust’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: Dungeoneering (Int), Knowledge: The Planes (Int), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Spot (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Saves: Good Fort and Will, Bad Reflex
BAB: As fighter.

Quick level 'chart'
1 Sense Planar Connection, Determination
2 Bane Touch Magic
4 Resolve
5 Bane Touch (Material)
8 Bane Touch (Alignment)
10 Lesser Aura of Resolve
13 Aura of Resolve
16 Aura of Succor
18 Bane Touch (Any)

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the slayer.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Praetorcausts are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are proficient with all types of armors and shields, except tower shields. This does not extend to exotic armor and shields.

Sense Planar Connection: At 1st level a praetorcaust can make a concentration check in order to see the aura of a planar creature. This allows a character to determine whether or not a creature has a planar tie and what plane it is from but does not determine what the tie is. In other words, the praetorcaust may know a creature is tied to the negative material plane somehow, but will not know if the creature is undead, deathtouched, or somehow cursed. The strength of the aura is dependant on the number of hit dice the creature has and the type of planar tie the creature has. The DC for this check is 10 + the creature’s hit dice.

Determination: Because of the intense training a praetorcaust undergoes in withstanding the various onslaughts of aberrations, fiends and undead, a praetorcaust becomes more determined and can more easily overcome the magic assaults of his enemies. The praetorcaust may add his charisma bonus, if any, to all his saving throws.

Bane Touch: At the levels indicated in the chart above, a praetorcaust can attempt to overcome certain types of damage reduction by channeling his will into his weapon (including unarmed attacks). This technique is called focusing. In order to focus a weapon with the appropriate energy a praetorcaust must take a move equivalent action to make a concentration check, DC 15. If the check succeeds any attack the praetorcaust makes acts as if it were made with the weapon type the praetorcaust chose. The effect lasts one round for every point the praetorcaust's concentration check exceeded 15 (minimum 1 round). This does not give the praetorcaust any knowledge of the appropriate weapon types needed to affect a monster. Bane touch material and alignment may only create one alignment or material type effect at a time i.e. the praetorcaust cannot create a silver and cold iron effect simultaneously. The praetorcaust can however create magic, good and silver effects simultaneously. Each additional effect the character attempts to add raises the DC by two and the duration of the effect is determined off of the new DC (minimum 1 round). At 18th level a praetorcaust gains Bane Touch (Any). With a successful concentration check, DC 25, the character may focus a weapon to overcome all damage reduction. This ability includes overcoming DR #/-, such as that of a barbarian but does not extend to DR/epic unless the character's total level has also reached 21st. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the amount by which the concentration check exceeded 25 (minimum 1 round).

Resolve: At 4th level, a praetorcaust has gained the mental focus necessary to overcome fear and enchantment/charm effects. The character is considered immune to fear and mind-influencing attacks such as charm person, command and a vampire’s gaze attack.

Lesser Aura of Resolve: At 10th level, a praetorcaust can focus his will into creating a 10’ radius aura. By doing so the praetorcaust creates an aura with the effects of a magic circle. Focusing the charater’s will for this purpose requires a swift action.

Aura of Resolve: At 13th level, when a praetorcaust focuses his will into creating an aura of resolve, his allies also gain a +4 bonus to will saves as long as they remain within the radius of the character's aura. The praetorcaust’s aura of resolve now extends to a 20’ radius. Focusing the character’s will for this purpose now requires only an immediate action.

Aura of Succor: At 16th level, the praetorcaust’s aura of resolve has become so strong that it creates a planar lock. No creature with in the character’s aura may summon another creature and no creature can be summoned to a point within the praetorcaust’s aura. Any attempt to summon a creature within the aura (in either fashion) automatically fails. The character’s aura now extends to a 30’ radius. Focusing the character’s will for this purpose now requires only a free action.

Last edited:

drexes

First Post
What about its balance? does anybody have a comment?

Nice name airwalkrr, tough I don't think it really fits with my games motif...

As for the name I'm thinking of going with "Praetorcaust", which would be latin for beyond+burn. Praetor is the root for preternatural, so I think this could work.

Thanks for any help,

Drexes

Last edited:

TheLe

First Post
Some possible names:

-Planeswalker
-Ghost Guardian
-Ethereal Nomad
-Shade
-Darkbane
-Shadow Striker
-Daemoner
-Holy Enforcer

Land Outcast

Explorer
Hum...
Lets see...

I'd add some fighter bonus feats, maybe every four or five levels...
But that's just me seeing how it might be great against Fiends, Undead, and Aberrations (which there is quite a share of) and basically a warrior of its level against anyone else...

The surpassing DR is neat and at high levels becomes really powerful...
A permanent MCA:E is a nice thing also (+2 AC, no mind control)...
... leave it the way it is.

Most of the time I can't decide wether to improve a class or leave it as presented, the answer is: leave it that way... but you may see

At first I was not really impressed by the class, but now that I'm looking at it under a new light... I love it... (strangely I still feel something odd about it, maybe not wrong, but odd)

Last edited:

TheLe

First Post
Land Outcast said:
I'd add some fighter bonus feats, maybe every four or five levels...

Personally, I dislike "choose your own" bonus feats. It always makes a class feel too "fighter".

`Le

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry, TheLe, but I actually prefer classes built with limited lists from which to choose bonus feats. It lets players customize their PCs without going completely whacko.

Sledge

First Post
Danny in this case The Le seems to be stating a dislike for "Choose a fighter feat" instead of a limited list of feats. Fighter feats are not very limited in quantity at least.

Remove ads