• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New 'Mechanus' race

Kavok

First Post
In my current campaign I've introduced a new race called the "Mechanus" (I know they already exist!) mostly basing them off of Warforged but also looking at Constructs and Mechanus. I'd like some opinions on what I have so far.

MECHANUS RACIAL TRAITS

Clockwork Construct Subtype (Ex): Mechanus are constructs with the clockwork construct subtype. A clockwork construct is a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments and construction.

Features: A clockwork construct has the following features.

A Mechanus derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.

Traits: A Mechanus possesses the following traits.

-Unlike other constructs, a Mechanus has a Constitution score.

-Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, mind-affecting spells/abilities, and energy drain.

-A Mechanus cannot heal damage naturally.

-Unlike other constructs, Mechanus are subject to nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.

-Mechanus can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs.

-Spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to a Mechanus.

-The unusual physical construction of a Mechanus makes them vulnerable to certain spells and effects that normally don’t affect living creatures. A Mechanus takes damage from heat metal and chill metal as if it were wearing metal armor. Likewise, a Mechanus is affected by repel metal or stone as if he were wearing metal armor. A Mechanus is repelled by repel wood. The iron in the body of a Mechanus makes him vulnerable to rusting grasp. The creature takes 2d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex half; save DC 14 + caster’s ability modifier). AMechanus takes the same damage from a rust monster’s touch (Reflex DC 17 half). Spells such as stone to flesh, stone shape, warp wood, and wood shape affect objects only, and thus cannot be used on the stone and wood parts of aMechanus

-A Mechanus responds slightly different from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A Mechanus with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0, aMechanus is inert. It is unconscious and helpless, and it cannot perform any actions. However, an inert Mechanus does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to it, as with a living creature that is stable. A Mechanus has a 5% chance (00-05%) to 'reactivate' itself to 0 hit points once a day if the majority of its body is intact and attached.

-As long as a Mechanus is not completely destroyed, he needs only be reassembled to be returned to life. He can be reassembled using spells such as Make Whole and healing spells. If its body has been completely destroyed or cannot be located a Wish, Miracle, or similar spell may return it to life.

-A Mechanus receives DR 50/- to all Evocation spells unless they deal electrical/lighting based damage.

-A Mechanus normally takes 5x damage from any electrical/lighting based damage.

-A Mechanus does not eat, sleep, or breathe, but it can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions.

-Although Mechanus do not need to sleep, a Mechanus wizard must rest for 4 hours before preparing spells.

• Rather than ability score bonuses a Mechanus is customized from creation, you receive 5 free Mechanus feats
• Medium: As Medium constructs, Mechanus have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Mechanus base land speed is 30 feet.
• Composite Plating: The plating used to build a Mechanus provides a +2 armor bonus. This plating is not natural armor and does not stack with other effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural armor ). This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus awarforged cannot wear armor or magic robes. Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be. The character must be present for the entire time it takes to enchant him. Composite plating also provides awarforged with a 25% arcane spell failure chance. Any class ability that allows a Mechanus to ignore the arcane spell failure chance for light armor lets him ignore this penalty as well.

• Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a Mechanus, there is a 50% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
• A Mechanus has a natural weapon in the form of a slam attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.
• Automatic Languages: Mechanus.
Bonus Languages: None.
• Level Adjustment: +1.
• Favored Class: Fighter.

MECHANUS FEATS

Language Database & Advanced Synthesiser [Mechanus]

Prerequisites: None

Benefit: Mechanus acts as if Tounges is cast on it at all times, this is considered a Extraordinary(Ex) ability. In addition, a +2 bonus on Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimidate.

Normal: Mechanus can normally only speak Mechanus.

Special: None

Advanced Composite Plating [Mechanus]

Benefit: The +2 Armor from Composite Plating becomes +4 (Armor) and +1 (Natural Armor) instead. The 25% spell failure is removed.

Normal: +2 Armor

Adamantine Composite Plating [Mechanus]

Prerequisites: Advanced Composite Plating

Benefit: The typical iron based composite is replaced with an adamantine based composite giving DR 3/-, resistance to Acid 5, Cold 5, and Fire 5.

Normal: None

Composite Plating Fortification [Mechanus]

Benefit: Immunity to Critical Hits and Sneak Attack unless otherwise stated.

Battle Shielding [Mechanus]

Prerequisites: Advanced Composite Plating, Improved Power Systems, BAB +8

Benefit: +4 Deflection AC bonus

Special: This can be taken two times, the effects stack

Composite Plating Optimization [Mechanus]

Benefit: +1 to the Armor or Natural Armor bonus of your composite plating.

Special: This can be taken multiple times, the effects stack.

Improved Power Systems [Mechanus]

Benefit: +20 HP, +2 to Fortitude, Reflex, Will saves

Improved Locomotion Systems [Mechanus]

Benefit: +10ft to base speed(to 40ft), may cast Haste 1/day as a caster equal to your character level.

Normal: 30ft

Enhanced Strength [Mechanus]

Benefit: +1 to Strength

Enhanced Dexterity [Mechanus]

Benefit: +1 to Dexterity

Enhanced Constitution [Mechanus]

Benefit: +1 to Constitution

Enhanced Intelligence [Mechanus]

Benefit: +1 to Intelligence

Enhanced Wisdom [Mechanus]

Benefit: +1 to Wisdom

Enhanced Charisma [Mechanus]

Benefit: +1 to Charisma

Last edited:

Knight-of-Roses

Historian of the Absurd
Interesting idea, but they need a bit more background. Why were they created and for what purpose?

Mechanically, seems within range except for:

-A Mechanus receives DR 50/- to all Evocation spells unless they deal electrical/lighting based damage.

So, they are essentially immune to all evocation attacks except electrical ones, which then kill them instantly? Why?

• Rather than ability score bonuses a Mechanus is customized from creation, you receive 5 free Mechanus feats

Considering that many of those feats give massive bonuses (including +5 to stats if you go that route) this seem far too powerful. Especially as they have no downside in stats.

Kavok

First Post
I have a whole back story embedded into my current campaign, they were the 'master race' before the 'organics' mastered magic. The Mechanus have a fundamental design flaw that makes them weak to electrical sources of damage, which the 'organics' learned and began to exploit heavily with magic.

I have considered making them immune to evocation spells, however DR 50/- seems a bit more fair.

They do get a Level adjustment, even with that do you believe the feats are too powerful?

Xulin

First Post
So basically, they have energy resistance 50 against ALL evocation spells except for ones that deal electricity damage? Two of the most used evocation spells, magic missile and fireball are completely useless against these guys! +1 LA is not even close to enough to represent how broken that is.
And why do arcane spellcasters need to rest only 4 hours to recover their spells when EVERY OTHER RACE, including warforged (which you should be using anyway), must rest a full 8 hours?
Also, your light fortification is more like medium fortification.

This is basically a broken version of warforged. If the idea is that they ruled the world before fleshies came around with magic, shouldn't they be vulnerable to every kind of magic? You could accomplish a much more reasonable effect by giving them spell resistance 10 + character level against all evocation spells except for those that do lighting damage. Even then I would make their LA +2.

And just a quick screen through of your feats show some potential for serious AC abuse.

Kavok

First Post
Xulin said:
So basically, they have energy resistance 50 against ALL evocation spells except for ones that deal electricity damage? Two of the most used evocation spells, magic missile and fireball are completely useless against these guys! +1 LA is not even close to enough to represent how broken that is.
And why do arcane spellcasters need to rest only 4 hours to recover their spells when EVERY OTHER RACE, including warforged (which you should be using anyway), must rest a full 8 hours?
Also, your light fortification is more like medium fortification.

This is basically a broken version of warforged. If the idea is that they ruled the world before fleshies came around with magic, shouldn't they be vulnerable to every kind of magic? You could accomplish a much more reasonable effect by giving them spell resistance 10 + character level against all evocation spells except for those that do lighting damage. Even then I would make their LA +2.

And just a quick screen through of your feats show some potential for serious AC abuse.

The campaign thus far is pretty high-powered. Most of the players are 19-20 at this point - the entire campaign is pretty over the top powerful.

I've created 2 other races that are powerful and they both have LA +1. I'm just trying to create a second tier of races with unique advantages/disadvantages that tie directly into the story.

Spell resistance means extra dice needs to be thrown by the player and I'd rather cut down on that as much as possible.

I've tried to make them much more along the lines of a normal construct rather than a Warforged (near magic immunity, almost immune to sneak attacks, so on) so I guess it is "medium fortification".

The reason I've set the sleep time to 4hrs rather than 8hrs is my players typically hate playing Wizards anyways. Everyone in the party at this point is either using a ring of sustenance or is an elf etc.. etc.., no one is going to sit around while a wizard character rests for 8hrs.

Xulin

First Post
If the other races in your campaign aren't completely outclassed by this, I suppose it's alright. I mean, you've got stat boosting feats for these guys - that's epic level by itself.

I've tried to make them much more along the lines of a normal construct rather than a Warforged (near magic immunity, almost immune to sneak attacks, so on) so I guess it is "medium fortification".

Oh, on this note, most constructs don't have any special immunities to magic (well aside from the immunity to spells that don't affect objects, or their minds) - only golems. Just pointing that out.

Tyonisius

First Post
Adamantine Composite Plating [Mechanus]

Benefit: The typical iron based composite is replaced with an adamantine based composite giving DR 3/-, resistance to Acid 5, Cold 5, and Fire 5.

Isn't the resistance of this fairly pointless since Acid, Cold, and Fire already take a 50 point damage reduction?

I agree that this would make this race fairly unplayable. I'd definitely be willing to play a caster in this world... and I'd walk around with a maximized (or empowered really) Orb of Electricity just waiting for a Mechanus to piss me off. I don't think they would work as a playable race or as an NPC race that the group gets in contact with... at least without an Anti-Magic Field. If you want to use something like this... I'd probably go with 50% less damage from all Evocation spells that don't deal electrical damage and 50% more from those that do. 5x is just crazy mad, insta-death for any Mechanus. Now I'm getting the idea for to play a serial killer sorcerer who goes around insta-killing Mechanuses... Mechanai..?

Shouldn't these guys have an inherent fear of storm clouds? Like total refusal to go outside if it's cloudy?

Kavok

First Post
Okay so, a few ideas regarding changing these two lines:

What about any of the following:

-A Mechanus receives 1/2 damage from all Evocation spells unless they deal electrical/lighting based damage.

-A Mechanus takes 2x damage from any electrical/lighting based damage, they may also be stunned for 1 round if they cannot make a DC25 Fortitude save.

-A Mechanus targetted with an evocation spell that does not do electrical/lighting based damage has a 75% (or 50%?) chance to ignore the spell.

-A Mechanus takes 2x damage from any electrical/lighting based damage, they may also be stunned for 1 round if they cannot make a DC25 Fortitude save.

One other option would be including spell resistance, maybe set it to the character level? I really want electrical damage to be a big weakness for the race as thats how they've been played off in the campaign so far.

Last edited:

Remove ads