• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

*New* Mehket's Magnificent Seven

xenoflare

First Post
haha

hi rootbeergnome!

bollywood, as my good friend dzorsch has already pointed out, is Indian cinema - it's the biggest non-hollywood film industry in the world, i think, and definitely one of Asia's most important and sizable pop culture influences. The male leads are usually incredibly dashing, muscular, and good-hearted in some naive way (sounds like DnD paladin PCs, no?) or tend to be less conventionally good-looking but intense and broodingly good-looking (ah, we move on to sorceror PCs now haha), while the female leads tend to be beautiful, graceful girls - more intelligent, determined types who sometimes have to knock some sense into the silly males haha. dzorsch isn't joking when he talks about the dancing and music - everybody seems to be a level 20 bard, everybody, right down to random passers-by.

there's lots of song, dance, and melodrama involved in bollywood films, and being the product of a country and culture where family, caste, and morality are very important themes, there are usually dilemmas the main characters have to undergo like loyalty to family versus loyalty to friends, loyalty to heart's love versus desire for personal profit, friendships and love affairs that transcend religious and cultural divides, etc... all meeting with a lot of opposition along the way, which is dispelled by lots of bardic musical loving. heartwarming tales, really, with over-the-top action - people routinely do flying kicks that destroy motorcycles in mid-flight, block sword blows with their knees, have hi-speed chase scene duels with guitars, etc.

it's a, haha, rather different genre from hollywood, i guess. :p to get an idea of what Putra looks like as Bollywood films would depict him... take a look-see at the pic attached. (btw, Putra's full name is Putra Suryavarman - it means, literally, "The Princely One bearing the Armour of the Sun" or "The Princely Protector of the Sun" in various contexts - he's a worshipper of Surya-Mithra, the solar deity in Hindu lore).

hope this helped to answer some of your queries! i'll be pushing my DM to do up more updates soon.. thanks for reading!

yours in battle-scarred underwater monastic meditation,
shao

Attachments

• asoka1.jpg
    asoka1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 131

dzorsch

First Post
xenoflare said:
people routinely do flying kicks that destroy motorcycles in mid-flight, block sword blows with their knees, have hi-speed chase scene duels with guitars, etc.

you can't be serious. the only guitar duel i've seen is in Six String Samurai. but yeah, the action sequences are sometimes really strange.

Chasmodai

First Post
Originally Posted by dzorsch

but yeah, the action sequences are sometimes really strange.

You forgot the sound effects. Overly exaggerated, over-the-top sounds when someone hits another person. It goes something like d-goosh! or gedebap! (yes, in bold).

rootbeergnome

First Post
BuMp! This story hour is excellent, I love the writing. Thank you for the explaination on Bollywood, I get the idea. Well, I am looking forward to an update!
-RBG

xenoflare

First Post
erk

hola rootbeargnome!

i'm glad to see you have now understood the might of BOLLYWOOD! brujahbunny has gone off for a short trip to Australia - he'll be back soon and maybe he has net access (bump bump nudge nudge wink wink hint hint) and will update the story from there haha. if not i'll.. i'll... i'll just have to finish off my short stories concerning Lian and Putra in their earlier days when they just got to know each other. It concerns the machinations of vile yuan-ti, high-flying martial arts action, cutting social commentary, and lots of rainforesty Oriental Adventures-style goodness. hee hee. just to keep you guys enticed and interested until our big rabbit friend updates again...

yours,
shao

Last edited:

xenoflare

First Post
erk

and another bit of nagging at dzorsch to finish the artwork! and to put it up online! eek!

yours,
shao

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads