New Microlite20 thread

greywulf

First Post
Hmmmm. I'll have to think about a d6 variant of Microlite20. My gut feelings are that it adds a little more complexity, even though the dice are easier to get hold of. Perhaps if you got rid of the stats and just used Fort, Ref and Will instead....... Lemme think more :)

Meantime, Microlite20 is celebrating Free RPG Day with not one, but two complete M20-inspired games for your enjoyment - grab your Spy and Superhero goodness right here.

See you there, and Happy RPG Day!

greywulf

First Post
Either!

I try to keep an eye on the ENWorld threads when I can, but might miss a day or two sometimes.

If I'm not around, just talk among yourselves :)

greywulf

First Post
Oh, and Tunnels & Trolls is definitely NOT a cut down Dungeons & Dragons. I know some places where you'll be shot on sight for such blasphemy! :D

mediapig

First Post
Folks, listen up! Ok, look up. I've got a picture for you.

600_m20_2.jpg

These are German translation 26 page, A5, saddle stitched, full color booklets put together by Mondbuchstaben for a Role Play Convention in Münster. They were created to promote his company's anime themed DVDs and upcoming cinema release of Brave Story.

And. They. Look. Fantastic!

Seriously, they're great - full colour throughout, great layout, the works. He's done a superb job from start to finish. Mondbuchstaben, if you can make an English translation, I swear these will sell like hot cakes around here. Let's split the profits :)

Kensanata and Darrell, if you send me your addresses (to greywulf@gmail.com), Mondbuchstaben will send you copies too, because you're in the credits. Name in lights and all that :)

I'll leave Mondbuchstaben to tell you more, as he deserves credit for making this possible. Suffice to say, I'm over the moon!

DUDE! I want these! Bad! Is there any chance of an English version? Those are EXACTLY what I want an ROG game to look like. If there are any plans afoot to offer and English version, please let me know!

Mondbuchstaben

First Post
DUDE! I want these! Bad! Is there any chance of an English version? Those are EXACTLY what I want an ROG game to look like. If there are any plans afoot to offer and English version, please let me know!

Thanks!

This edition was possible thanks to some coincidences (a DVD publisher wanting to target their marketing at role playing gamers and anime fans and a Microlite 20 fan in the position to decide about the marketing tool - me).

("ROG" game?)

kroh

First Post
Wow... It is amazing how far the rules have come since the beginning and to see that they have jumped the pond into other langauges is very cool...

Regards,
Walt

WildWalker

First Post
I finally got my D&D 4e books so I've been working on my "compatable with 4e" hack of M20.

Below is how far I've gotten.

There is some work that still needs to be done (things are not as clear and concise as I'd like because I want to slice it down into a PocketMod) and some things that are missing (Rituals for Mages and rules for Monster stat conversions) but I think I could use some input from other people before moving forward.

I would love it if y'all could hack away at it and give me some insight on how I might proceed.

I now need to finish up my re-hack of The Temple of K'thu'uk.

WildWalker

WildWalker's M20-4e V1.2

Stats

There are 3 stats: Fortitude (FORT) (Replaces Strength and Constitution), Reflexes (REF) (Replaces Intelligence and Dexterity) and Willpower (WILL) (Replaces Wisdom and Charisma).

Roll 4d6, drop lowest dice. Total remaining 3 dice and allocate to one of the stats. Repeat for remaining stats.

Stat bonus = (STAT-10)/2, round down.
Races

Humans get +1 to all skill rolls
Fey get +2 MIND
Ffolk get +2 DEX
Feyborne: Fiendish, Celestial, Divine, Fire, Air, Earth, Water, Metal, Nature, Dragon
Wolves get +2 DEX, Natural Weapons*
Ravens get +2 DEX, “raven strength**”, Flight
Bears get +4 FORT, -2 DEX, Natural Weapons*
Squirrels get +4 DEX and “squirrel strength**”

*Natural Weapons are considered Unarmed attacks and do 1d8 damage. Races with Natural Weapon, gain an additional +2 to AC when not wearing armor.
**“raven strength” and “squirrel strength” means that the character can not lift and carry more than what a raven or a squirrel might be considered able to carry. The trade off is that they are extremely small and can go places that other characters might not due to their size.

Classes

The classes are:

Warriors can wear any kind of armour and use any shields. Warriors add +1 to all attack and damage rolls. This increases by +1 at 5th level and every five levels on. Warriors have a +3 bonus to Physical.

Warriors can "Mark" an opponent they are in combat with. A Marked opponent gets -1 to their attack rolls against anyone except that Warrior as long as they are Marked. The penalty increases by 1 at 5th level, and by another 1 every 5 levels after. An opponent can only have one “Mark” at a time. Once per encounter, against a Marked target, a Warriors may add their level to the damage from one roll. Once per day, against a Marked target, they may add twice their level.

Rogues can use light armour and a light shield. Rogues have a +3 bonus to Subterfuge.

Rogues can Sneak Attack foes. A Rogue that successfully Sneaks (usually Sub+REF, but depends on situation) up on a foe has Combat Advantage and can add their Subterfuge skill rank to the damage of their attack. Once per encounter, if they have Combat Advantage, a Rogue may add their level to the damage. Once per day, if they have Combat Advantage, they may add twice their level.

Warriors and Rogues can fight unarmed (kicks, punches, etc) doing d6 damage. Their unarmed damage increases by one dice type (d6->d8, d8->d10, etc) every 5 levels. If they are wearing no more than loose fitting clothes their unarmed attack counts as a light weapon and theygain a +2 mobility bonus to AC. If they are wearing armor their unarmed attack does not count as a light weapon and they gain no extra AC bonus.

Warriors and Rogues can also trade their regular weapon damage for Exploits. Exploits are special attacks, that mechanically work like Mage Spells, but replace the damage of a weapon with the damage or effect of the Exploit. A Warriors or Rogues can spend up to their level number of hit points on a single Exploit but only if they have an appropriate weapon. Unarmed attacks can be an appropriate weapon for some Exploits. Warriors (but not Rogues) can perform an equivalent Exploit to the Healing Word Spells but the hit point cost is twice what it would be for a Mage. The Healing Word Exploit does not require a weapon or implement.

Warriors and Rogues can use a number of hit points per day equal to their level to power Exploits. These hit points heal normally. After that, hit points lost to activate Exploits cannot be healed normally and "Second Wind" and Heroism won't heal the loss either. The loss is only fully recovered after an extended (6-8 hours) rest.

Mages can wear up to light armor. They can cast Spells and perform Rituals. Mages have a +3 bonus to Knowledge.

Mages can use a number of hit points per day equal to their level to power Spells. These hit points heal normally. After that, hit points use to cast Spells cannot be healed normally and "Second Wind" and Heroism won't heal the loss either. The loss is only fully recovered after an extended (6-8 hours) rest.Mages can spend up to their level number of hit points on a single Spell only if they have an appropriate attuned Implement (Wand, Staff or Athame). Other wise they can only cast basic Spells.

Exploits and Spells

The first basic combat Spell/Exploit is a Bolt. The basic Bolt affects one Target, is a hand to hand attack and costs no hit points. The basic Bolt can do three different levels off effect depending on the choices of the Player.
· Effect 1 does 1d6 damage.
· Effect 2 does 1d4 damage and causes a Condition until the end of the Player’s next turn.
· Effect 3 causes a Condition on the Target until the Target makes a Saving Throw.
· For 1 hit point a Bolt can be made a ranged attack with a range of Short. For 2 hit points a Bolt can be given a range of Medium. For 3 hit points a Bolt can be given a range of Long.
· For 1 hit point two effects can be added together. For 2 hit point three effects can be added together. For 4 hit points four effects can be added together.

The second basic combat Spell/Exploit is a Burst. The basic Burst affects all Targets in its area and costs 1 hit point. The basic burst can do two levels of effect.
· Effect 1 does 1d6 damage to all Targets in the Area. The area of the basic Burst is the square it is cast on plus a radius of 1 (9 squares total). Target gets a Saving Throw for half damage.
· Effect 2 causes a Condition on the Target. The area of the basic Burst is the square it is cast on plus a radius of 1 (9 squares total). The condition lasts until the end of the Player’s next turn or until the Target makes a Saving Throw, whichever comes later.
· For 1 hit point the origin square can be immune to the effect of a Burst.
· For 1 hit point a Burst can be made a ranged attack with a range of Short. For 2 hit points a Burst can be given a range of Medium. For 3 hit points a Burst can be given a range of Long.
· For 1 hit point two effects can be added together. For 2 hit points three effects can be added together. For 4 hit points four effects can be added together.
· For 1 hit point the radius can be increased by 1 (20 squares total). For 2 hit points the radius can be increased by 2 (36 squares total). For 4 hit points the radius can be increased by 3 (49 squares total).

Combat Spell/Exploit damage increases by one dice type (d4->d6, d6->d8, etc) every four levels.

A Healing Word is a Spell/Exploit that gives the target another Second Wind in combat. Each Healing Word Spell will only work on a given target once per day. The basic healing Spell/Exploit is the Minor Healing Word.
  • Minor Healing Word costs 1 hit point for Mages and 2 hit points for Warriors.
  • Lesser Healing Word costs 2 hit points for Mages and 4 hit points for Warriors.
  • Greater Healing Word costs 4 hit points for Mages and 2 hit points for Warriors.
  • Major Healing Word costs 8 hit points for Mages and 16 hit points for Warriors.
Heroism
Every Player Character has a number of d6 Heroism dice, equal to their level, which can be added to the following rolls once per encounter: Attack, Damage, Skill, Hit Points. They can be added, 1 die per roll, before, during or after a roll. At level 11+ you can add 2 die per roll. At level 21+ you can add 3 die per roll. A Mage can not use Heroism on any Spell effects unless he is using an attuned Implement.

Any Player can give their Character’s Heroism dice to another Player’s Character instead of using them on themselves.

Skills
There are 3 standard skills: Physical, Subterfuge and Knowledge.

Roll higher than the given Difficulty Class to succeed.

Skill rank = 1 + 1/2 your level (round down) + any bonus due to your class or race.
Skill roll = d20 + skill rank + whatever stat bonus is most applicable to the use + situation modifiers

For example:
Climbing would use Physical + FORT bonus.
Dodging a falling rock is Physical + REF bonus.
Finding a trap is Subterfuge + WILL bonus.
Disabling a trap is Subterfuge + REF bonus.
Use Physical + FORT or REF bonus for Fortitude and Reflex saves.

Level Advancement
Every level add +5 to Hit Points
If the level divides by two (2,4,6…) add +1 to all attack rolls and +1 to all skills
If the level divides by three (i.e. level 3,6,9,etc.) add 1 point to FORT, REF or WILL and +1 to one skill and +1 to Level Bonus for AC.
All melee and missile damage (but not Spell and Exploit damage) is doubled at level 21and beyond and are considered magical attacks.
Combat

Hit Points = FORT Stat+ (REF Stat OR WILL Stat)+ (5 x Level). If HPs reach 0 Character is unconscious and near death. Further damage directly reduces FORT. If that reaches 0, Character dies.
Armour Class (AC) = 10 + REF bonus + (Armour bonus OR Level bonus).
Melee Attack Bonus = FORT bonus + Level
Missile Attack Bonus = REF bonus + Level
Magic Attack Bonus = WILL bonus + Level

Roll d20 + REF bonus for initiative order. Everyone can do one thing each turn; move, attack, cast a spell, etc.
For melee or missile attacks, if your d20 roll plus Attack Bonus is higher than the target's AC (10+ REF + Armor or Lvl Bns), you hit.
For magic attacks you must beat the target's level+ the appropriate bonus (REF for rays or bolts, WILL for illusions, charms, or mental effects, FORT for alterations like flesh to stone).
A natural 20 automatically hits and does maximum damage regardless of the opponent's defences.
A Natural 1 is always a miss.

Warriors and Rogues using a light weapon can use their REF bonus instead of FORT when attacking. They can also wield 2 light weapons and attack twice in a round (at the same time in combat order), but with a -2 to all attack rolls that round. If only one attack is made, the second weapon can be used to parry, granting +1 AC. Rapiers count as a light weapon, but two rapiers cannot be used at the same time. The hand to hand attacks of the Unarmed Warrior and Unarmed Rogue count as light weapons. Hand to hand attacks for Mages and Commoners do 1d4 damage and do not count as light weapons.

Second Wind
Once per Encounter, between Encounters, a character can get a "Second Wind". This will heal 5+Con Bonus+Character Level number of Hit Points. Use of a "Second Wind" on an unconscious character automatically brings that character back to 1 Hit Point and then heals them normally. Healing Words can give a Character another "Second Wind". Each "level" of Healing Word will only work on a Character once per day. Healing Words can be used at any time.

Combat Advantage and Conditions

A character has Combat Advantage (CA) if their target is incapacitated, confused, blinded, unable to see them, or the character is behind them. Rogues can get CA on a successful Sneak. A character with CA gets +2 to hit that target and adds their best Stat bonus to Melee damage in ADDITION to any other bonuses. (Yes this means that a Rogue Sneak Attack is absolutely frightening…) Exploits and Spells can create Conditions. A Target affected by a Condition, gets -2 to all rolls for each Condition until they make a Saving Throw but that COndition does not nessesarily provide CA to an opponent.

Saving Throws
Roll d20 at the end of your turn, if you get 11 or more, you are no longer affected by any Condition (including Unconsciousness).

Other Hazards

Falling: 1d6 damage per 10', half damage on successful save.
Spikes: add +1 point to falling damage per 10' fallen, max +10
Poison: Save to avoid or for half, depending on poison. Effect varies with poison type.
Extreme Heat & Cold: If not wearing suitable protection, roll to save once every 10 minutes, taking 1d6 damage on each failed save.

Remove ads