New Microlite20 thread

Qatux

First Post
Hi folks. I am also late in discovering Microlite20 and like others have mentioned I have ended up here because registration is closed at the main Microlite20 forum.

I've been going over various flavors of D&D (original, classic, retro-clone, etc.) and I was just curious if there was a reason behind the "roll higher than AC to hit" rule in Microlite20. As far as I can tell every other form of D&D has the mechanic as "equal or higher than AC (or some target number in a table)" to hit.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I don't know how to search a single long thread and I have tried many Google searches already. I know it is a minor point, but I tend to get hung up on little details like this. Thanks!

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've been going over various flavors of D&D (original, classic, retro-clone, etc.) and I was just curious if there was a reason behind the "roll higher than AC to hit" rule in Microlite20. As far as I can tell every other form of D&D has the mechanic as "equal or higher than AC (or some target number in a table)" to hit.

I don't recall the reasoning behind that being discussed or coming up before, but I could be wrong and someone with a better memory than me can probably answer.

I've played a lot of Microlite20 games in the last year, and we've just used the standard d20 "roll equal to or higher to AC/DC to hit/succeed", and haven't ever noticed anything out of whack. I think we just assumed that was the way it was supposed to work all along, but I'd still be curious to learn more about why it's different in the M20 rules.

Darrell

First Post
I've been playing m20 pretty much since Greywulf wrote the thing, and I've always assumed it was standard d20 'equal or better' for attacks. I think it may just be his 'shortening' of the phrasing to cut down as much as possible. The whole concept of m20, after all, is to be able to use standard d20 resources with no conversion (other than the 'on the fly' type) necessary.

Regards,
Darrell

Qatux

First Post
Thanks for the responses guys. (I didn't see them until now because for some reason the subscription notification didn't get sent.) I guess I was reading things with too much of a rules-lawyer-eye.

I'm looking for something simple to introduce a young relative to RPGs and microlite20 seems to be the best thing I've found so far. I haven't played much since BECMI D&D and AD&D 2E, and I'm amazed my younger self absorbed all those rules.

Anyway, thanks again for the clarification!

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I'm looking for something simple to introduce a young relative to RPGs and microlite20 seems to be the best thing I've found so far. I haven't played much since BECMI D&D and AD&D 2E, and I'm amazed my younger self absorbed all those rules.

I've been using Microlite20 to successfully run a "D&D" game for my nephews (ages 10 and 7) for a few months now. They both had no trouble at all comprehending the simple rules, and because it really is easy to import a lot of existing d20 material into M20, they feel like they can use the "grown up" books (they're naturally attracted to all the cool artwork) to pick out monsters to fight, equipment, treasure etc., which is great because they are reading more, using their imaginations and becoming "converts" to tabletop roleplaying even thought they are living in the Playstation2/Wii/Gameboy age. The younger one really likes to design his own monsters and make his own dungeons, which I think is really cool. B-)

I think that's another good thing about Microlite20 that doesn't get emphasized enough - it serves as a great introduction to roleplaying for younger kids as well, but because of its design that allows you to use all the "big" source books, they still feel like they are playing a real grownup game of "Dungeons & Dragons".

RandallS

Explorer
The first playtest draft of Microlite75 (0e plus supplements plus magazine articles plus more) is ready for people interested to look over -- and hopefully comment on. M75 includes more classes (Paladins, Rangers, Monks/Martial Artists, Illusionists, Druids, and Thieves) from the 0e supplements, spells up to 9th level, and much more. It's Microlite74 on steroids. :)

Download your free copy of Microlite75 Playtest Version 0.1 from Mediafire: Microlite75-Playtest-0.1.pdf. It's a 250K PDF with about 19 pages of rules, spells, and monsters.

SethDrebitko

First Post
Hey folks new M20 guy just wanted to say hello, and answer a few questions. The website has moved over to KoboldEnterprise.com (though the old site is still up) as well as the OPEN forums. All the blog posts are moved over and I am finishing up the downloads as well.

That said Randals M75 is pretty slick and worth a look if you're into the old school thing.

Seth Drebitko
The adventure's just begun!

RandallS

Explorer
Two new M20 items:

The Microlite20 RPG Collection: A large number of Microlite20-based games and Microlite20 variants have been published over the last 3 or 4 years. I was testing PDF combining programs for a client today and decided to test them by making a combined PDF holding all the free Microlite20 basic, variant, and complete game PDFs I had on my drive: over 40 plus some characters sheets and the like. There are free Microlite20-based fantasy games, science fiction games, modern games, superhero games, and after the holocaust (or the zombies) games. The final PDF file was about 400 pages (and 17.5 megs because some of the PDFs had illos). I figured that after I'd created this, I might as well make it available. If you'd like to have a single PDF file with the rules for Microlite20 and many of its variants, you can download it from Mediafire via this link: [link removed].

I've uploaded a revised version with a new link. It's about 660 pages (and 20 megs) and includes more games than the original. Download from Mediafire via this link: Microlite20-RPG-Collection-Spring-2010-Revised.pdf

Microlite75 Playtest Draft 0.2: The second playtest draft of Microlite75 is available from Mediafire. It's a 350K PDF file: Microlite75-Playtest-0.2.pdf

Lots of changes: Variable weapon damage, monsters converted to d8 and Supplement level damages, spell costs reworked. Combat expanded. New spells. More. Many minor changes.

Last edited:

Remove ads