• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Monster Swordwing!

Rechan

Adventurer
DSRilk said:
What is the numeric bonus? +2 to attack? +5? +1d6 damage? And where is this listed? Am I blind and just not seeing it (in which case, where is it), or am I simply daft due to old age and it's inherently known to everyone that when flavor text says "it gets a bonus to attack bloodied foes," it means +2 to attack or something?

Swordwing statblock:
Melee Armblade (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +30 vs. AC (+32 against a bloodied target); 2d6 + 9 damage (crit 2d6 + 21), and the target is marked until the end of the swordwing’s next turn; see also vicious opportunist.

I had to look close to find it.

chaotix42

First Post
Just Another User said:
When I read the name I tought it had to be a flying sword. With wings. Heck, D&D had worse monsters. Actually I think a monster like that existed in some previous edtion.

Have you ever played Devil May Cry 4? ;)

I too am underwhelmed by these guys. Are the other Soldiers previewed so far as limited as the swordwing in terms of options?

DSRilk

First Post
"Armblade (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +30 vs. AC (+32 against a bloodied target);"

Thanks, guys!

Wow, I AM blind. I looked and looked for that "against bloodied" type of text. I'm apparently going to have to read and reread the stat blocks before I use them. They seem easy to use, but the text apparently runs together for me in parts.

Dausuul

Legend
DSRilk said:
Thanks, guys!

Wow, I AM blind. I looked and looked for that "against bloodied" type of text. I'm apparently going to have to read and reread the stat blocks before I use them. They seem easy to use, but the text apparently runs together for me in parts.

I suspect it will be less of a problem in play. The "+32 against bloodied" doesn't jump out when you're just scanning the statblock, but when you're using the Armblade ability and go to look up the attack bonus, it's right there. It's a very smart layout IMO.

Kaodi

Hero
I am kind of underwhelmed by most of the info, and the name, but the illustration certainly gives the monster traction for me already. Way, WAY, better than what they are trying to pass off as " angels " .

But because of that early comparison post, in my mind they will probably be forever nicknamed " Scythers " hehehehe... Though perhaps we can call the Crownwings " Scissors " (sp?) .

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I'm confused about critical hits. I thought it was maximum dice of damage plus bonuses. The swordwing's critical hit is (2d6+21). How does that work out?

Caliber

Explorer
GoodKingJayIII said:
I'm confused about critical hits. I thought it was maximum dice of damage plus bonuses. The swordwing's critical hit is (2d6+21). How does that work out?

We've seen a few weapons that have this property too ... on a crit you do your normal crit damage and roll weapon damage as well. More than likely there'll be a feat offering something like this with other weapon too.

Rechan

Adventurer
GoodKingJayIII said:
The weapon has normal damage, and when it crits, it does MORE damage than its normal hit (i.e. 33 damage on a crit, rather than the 21 from a regular attack).

Or maybe it does the 21 auto-crit, and then you roll 2d6+21 in addition. I'm not sure.

Vomax

First Post
A standard critical hit is simply max damage for the normal attack. For the swordwing, a normal armblade attack is 2d6+9, so max damage is 21. Certain weapons, including the swordwing's armblade, do extra damage on a critical equal to the damage of the weapon, which is 2d6 for the armblade. So a critical hit with a swordwing's armblade is 21 (regular crit) + 2d6 (extra damage). It's just listed as 2d6+21 because that's how everything involving dice and static numbers is written.

NebtheNever

First Post
Tallarn said:
A plot hook occured to me straight away when reading this.

If they like to collect stuff, it would be fantastic if the characters learnt that a powerful artifact had been 'collected' by a group of stormwings - particularly if it was one they needed!

In fact, how about the last known location of an important NPC or ancestor of a PC was in an area that is infested with these things? Maybe the PC's could offer something in exchange for a family heirloom?

This is an excellent idea. I still think these things are kind of bland for epic, but they make for a good side quest while on an epic adventure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads