• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

mamba

Legend
Yes, I do that all the time. Honestly, I've given good rating stories completely different versions of things in these tests all the time. The question isn't framed as a comparison, it is framed as an absolute rating of the proposal by itself, q-5. I see no basis for assuming that if someone gives a good rating they necessarily prefer it to the original. Hence why they refer to the absolute rating, with a look to qualitative feesback.
I find it highly unlikely that the majority of those filling out the survey rate it independently of anything else. I grant you that some do, but that is probably the worst of both worlds. Instead of having one result with a defined meaning, you have a mix of ideas what the rating expresses, making the whole thing more unreliable.

Also, if this were really meant objective / independent of the current alternative, why would the threshold be 70% across the board? I am sure some existing feature tested at say 75%, why would a 70% approval then be enough to replace it? The approval is relative to what we have, the 70% threshold exists so they do not change things when there is no sufficiently large gap in preference.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Really. Literally? How? How different is a 2014 rogue to a 2023 rogue? Even the One rogue isn’t very different.
Probably have a Level 1 Feat.
It can’t change much and retain backwards compatibility. That’s the point of evergreen.
Yes, and that's all to the good of the hobby.
How has stealth changed from 2014-2023? Even One stealth rules appear to be ejecting any actual clarification of the rules.
Stealth works as it is. Sage Advice has some words to share on that, and likely that language will be massaged even if they aren't bothering to test it, because I doubt that it will be a change aside from wording.
What new tool rules do we have? New skill rules?
There are plenty of new Skill rules that have made it to the most recent Rules Glossaries, and they seem to have elicited no controversy. Some of them are what I would consider pretty interesting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I find it highly unlikely that the majority of those filling out the survey rate it independently of anything else. I grant you that some do, but that is probably the worst of both worlds. Instead of having one result with a defined meaning, you have a mix of ideas what the rating expresses, making the whole thing more unreliable.
Not necessarily. The framing doesn't suggest a direct comparison to current options, and nothing about how WotC talks about the results suggests that.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
ok, but as you said, it is very likely that close to 69% like it better. So saying that fewer people like the new version than the current one is almost certainly false. That was my point.

@Parmandur claimed that because it only got 69%, the current version which sometime ago got 71% approval is the more popular one, because that is the higher percentage of the two. I think this is almost certainly false.
No he's right. Wotc has never asked if responders prefer a or bas a single question. A survey can ask "do you like driving pickup trucks?" Then as a separate question "do you like driving sports cars?" With a one to five for each. And the results tell you nothing about if drivers prefer one or the other. All you are capable of gleaning from those two questions is if respondents like driving each vehicle or not

The surveys are basically push polls designed to generate results that support anything you want it to on a lot of areas.

mamba

Legend
Not necessarily. The framing doesn't suggest a direct comparison to current options, and nothing about how WotC talks about the results suggests that.
the fact that they do look for a 70% approval and not for a rating that is higher than the one the current version got three years or so ago does suggest that

Parmandur

Book-Friend
the fact that they do look for a 70% approval and not for a rating that is higher than the one the current version got three years or so ago does suggest that
It suggests thst they are not concerned Ed with the scenario of a majority yearning for a change, which is probsvly right.

mamba

Legend
No he's right. Wotc has never asked if responders prefer a or bas a single question. A survey can ask "do you like driving pickup trucks?" Then as a separate question "do you like driving sports cars?" With a one to five for each. And the results tell you nothing about if drivers prefer one or the other. All you are capable of gleaning from those two questions is if respondents like driving each vehicle or not
I agree with your two questions, but I disagree with most of the survey being set up this way

If WotC e.g. asks whether people like the wildshape templates, do you think people who do not approve of them do so because they do not like the current implementation of them, or because they prefer monster statblocks? I am sure it is a mix, but the end result of it not getting approved absolutely is that we stay with stat blocks, so this is not just a matter of do you like sports cars, the question is do you like sports cars better than the trucks we currently have, because if you do not approve, then you are stuck with the truck.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree with your two questions, but I disagree with most of the survey being set up this way

If WotC e.g. ask whether people like the wildshape templates, do you think people who do not approve of them do so because they do not like the current implementation of them, or because they prefer monster statblocks? I am sure it is a mix, but the end result of it not getting approved absolutely is that we stay with stat blocks, so this is not just a matter of do you like sports cars, the question is do you like sports cars better than the trucks we currently have, because if you do not approve, then you are stuck with the truck.
But WotC already knows what people think of Wildshape currently. The question they were trying to solve was how to help people who were intimidated by too many options, and Templates and the limits on known Wildshapes are two solutions that they tried out. Helping a small percentage of people buy alienating most is an inferior solution to pleasing a larger slice of everyone.

Remove ads

Remove ads