• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I say it like people think this is going to be some major breaking point for the fandom. I predict thatv when it's all said and done, the amount of people who refuse to buy 24 and the number who already had deep seated issues with the current 5e will be a perfect circle.
I don't know about that. If you're happy with 5e as is, what's your motivation to spend $150-200 on the core books again? New art?

What new edition? This is 14 + Tasha's + errata with new art.
Mate mate mate mate mate, mate mate mateyson. Maaaaate.

It's not going to happen.

This is as much a new edition as 2E was. No amount of DARVO is going to fix that. You predicted wrong. Your buddy Treatmonk who said "the big changes are over" before this came out - he was wrong. But what you're doing, ironically, is edition-warring. It's first stages, but we can presumably expect you to be yelling at people referring to the new edition as an edition for the entire next decade lol.

Remathilis

Legend
Quality of life changes left on the cutting room floor don't sell books
I think you're missing my nuance.

Cunning strike is a quality of life change. It gives the rogue new toys and options, but it doesn't change the fundamental gameplay loop of the rogue. If you didn't like what the rogue was doing in 14, cunning strike isn't going to change that.

The same is true of something like wild shape. If you fundamentally hated using monster manual stat blocks for your wild shape, the limited # of choices per day isn't going to fix that. It certainly doesn't fix the other issues with stat blocks other than the temp HP issue.

Basically, they are aiming for people who think 5e is fine, but could be better* vs people who have issues with 5e. This isn't changing the room layout, it's some fresh paint and new curtains. If you already liked the room, that's not a problem, but if you were going for change, it's not enough to keep you in a place you don't already like living in. The best case scenario is someone who was straddling the fence after looking at the playtest so far and starting to look at 5e clones might instead think the changes are less radical and opt for the 24 books instead.

* Obviously they are aiming for new players too, but that's I feel irrelevant to changes between 14 and 24.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Considering that 5E is the most popular version of D&D of all time.. why anyone would think WotC would move away from that, rather than just fix the few things that could be better is beyond me.

If you had major issues with 5E14, why would you even want to consider the idea of playing 5E24? Just how good did you think it was going to be?

Remove ads

Remove ads