• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Ah, hadn't heard about any change of that nature. If so, then it would seem there's no real loss.

Also, having looked for "tool proficiency," apparently they actually are adding a rule to let a stacked skill+tool proficiency matter. If you have a relevant proficiency in both skill and tool, you get Advantage on the check. Of course, that just (again) makes Advantage horrifically over-used, but at least it's being over-used in a way that makes up for some other fault. I guess.
I went back and checked the Experts playtest packets and saw that under the Thief subclass 'Fast Hands' ability it says "Make a Dexterity Check (Slight of Hand) to pick a lock or disarm a trap with Thieves' Tools or to pick a pocket." So at least in that section lockpicking and trap disarming were listed as Sleight of Hand. Haven't found the base rule though that would say that all lockpicking/disarming were Sleight of Hand though. It's probably in there, I just haven't seen it.

Well, the rogue got a glow-up. And actually look fun in combat, with Advantage basically being an assumed property unless you mess up. (I count a handful of builds: Shortsword/Scimitar, Shortbow + Rapier (what happened to the hand crossbow?), or with Dual Wielder twin daggers or rapier and scimitar (or possibly rapier and dagger). Surprised they nerfed the Gloom Stalker so badly. Cunning strikes almost brings back the 4e rogue - or at least the thief.

Druid's a huge improvement over 2014. The "overcoat of temp hp" is still around - but the moon druid is a whole lot less oppressive. At level 2 they can't do Broken Moon Druid Stuff because they're just a normal druid, and at levels 3-4 the brown bear and dire wolf only give 15-20 temp hp rather than 35ish. Still obnoxious but no longer a broken piece of junk that should never have seen print. Sea Druid - excellent.

Cleric: Divine Order is a whole lot less interesting, but first level makes sense.

Bard - I need more playtesting with this forked bard. It feels like a simple, generic, and not terribly good solution to say "any one list until L10 then all three". College of Dance is a good concept that looks decently executed.

Monk - looks like an improvement. I think maces are going to get popular for monks; Sap is good. Four Elements looks both fun and above all functional - which the old one wasn't. Uncertain about Shadow as it's removed two of the big things (Pass Without Trace and Silence) but probably for the best. And the soggy middle has been hardened a little; level 7 gives you extra offence and level 13 gives you something good as well. They still have the Martial problem of getting less with the feat levels than casters do (i.e. no new spells).

Paladin: Ehh. This is polishing and niche protection from the cleric (which they needed). I'm concerned about the sheer resilience of Lay On Hands as a bonus action.

Ranger: Yes, Hunter's Mark needed the concentration return if it was going to work with Nick. And a bit of fluffy ribbon abilities are good. Not sure gloom stalker needed such a nerf. Or hunter needed to follow the principle "At higher levels pick an ability that wasn't good enough at lower levels"

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I haven't been this excited reading new D&D content since the 5e Alpha leaked. And I haven't even gotten to the Rogue yet, which sounds like it got the best update yet. Reading class and subclass descriptions and abilities should fill my head with endless character ideas, and this is doing exactly that.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Why is everything so wordy? Example:

When a spell you cast with a spell slot restores Hit Points to a creature, that creature regains additional Hit Points on the turn you cast the spell. The additional Hit Points equal 2 plus the spell slot’s level.

Why not?

When a spell you cast with a spell slot restores Hit Points to a creature, that creature regains an additional 2 Hit Points plus the spell slot’s level.

Remove ads

Remove ads