• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New, Original 4e Campaign Setting

I was fine with the 3e version of Dark Sun that Paizo made, it undid most of the post-Prism Pentad revisions in the second Dark Sun campaign. I felt that the idea of the hidden Avangion sorcerer king didn't fit the setting, especially when most of the sorcerer kings no longer remained.

And even if it introduced Elan and Maenads to Dark Sun, it did it in ways that I felt were consistent with the setting.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I really don't think you're going to see one for some time: WotC isn't doing one, and with the GSL third party companies aren't exactly going to jump on it either. What I am really looking forward to is the translation of Earthdawn to 4E, since I think it would be an excellent alternative, and deals very well with many of the issues people have had with the 4E rules.

We'll have to see if it ever comes out, mind you...

--Steve

Spatula

Explorer
I find the lack of a 4E specific setting that showcases the systems internal paradigms and design philosophy to be one of the biggest disappointments from WotC.
There is one... the "implied" setting. It's in all the books already and the designers mostly can't stop talking about it.

Dark Sun makes some sense as a psionics tie-in, but then so did Eberron and that didn't happen. I can't think that DS was a big seller even in the 2e days though, which makes a 4e-ized version seem unlikely. As Dragonlance is one the remaining setting with a lot of name recognition, I would guess that DL is #3. Revisiting the "real" DL (i.e. the time periods that most people are actually familiar with) could be a big hit if done right.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads