• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New PDA: What to buy

Vrylakos

First Post
I recently lost my first PDA, through sheer carelessness on my part.

However, since it has become my essential second brain, I need a new one.

I was using a Toshiba e335.
I liked it well enough, though Toshiba's stance on Windows Mobile 2003 sort of annoyed me. I do wish the directional button supported true diagonal movement, but oh well.

I got that pda new out-of-the-box via Ebay, for about 180 dollars.

Thankfully, I've got a new 256 mb SD card that I never put in it.

SO... I want a new PDA. A Pocket PC. I'd like it to have an SD slot.
I'd like a transflective screen, even though I'm only vaguely sure what that it.

I'll probably play a bit of Nethack on it, but mainly I use it for keeping track of money, phone numbers and addresses, and some game aids.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should buy? Or where to get it?

jdavis, I summon you!

Vrylakos

Ayrk

First Post
I love my Dell Axim X5 Advanced. It has both a CF and SD slot, long lasting battery, and does more than I ever hoped it would. It is also noticeably cheaper than other comparable PDAs like the iPaq.

With a CF GPS in it, I'm guided by satellite to wherever I wish to go, with a CF Wireless adapter, I'm surfing the net in my house, and with a CF or SD card, I'm watching a full length movie on the plane.

I bought it on a lark and now I can't live without it. For more info, I suggest checking out www.aximsite.com. It is a great site about the axim and PDAs in general

mroberon1972

First Post
I second the statement about the Axim. Best piece of hardware dell ever sold. I got the folding keyboard, and store the whole thing in a hip pouch. Makes a great word processor!

Silvanos

First Post
Gonna put another fat agree on this one. The Dell is the most bang for the buck out there. Since Dell is still trying to break into this market, they are CHEAP.

Great buy.

Drew

Mercule

Adventurer
I'll piggyback, here.

I've been thinking strongly about getting a PocketPC. I've also been thinking about getting another cell phone (my wife and I currently share, but that's getting really old). It'd be great to be able to get an integrated unit so I only have to fill up one pocket.

I'm aware of smart phones, but those have a reduced screen size as well as a couple of other issues I'm not fond of. What I really want is a PocketPC that happens to be able to receive phone calls. I don't care about wire web or any of the other "bonus" (and worthless) features on the phone side of things. Just a good, solid PPC that works as a phone handset (no ear buds or speaker phones).

Anyone know of something like this or am I dreaming?

WingOver

First Post
Mercule said:
I'll piggyback, here.

I've been thinking strongly about getting a PocketPC. I've also been thinking about getting another cell phone (my wife and I currently share, but that's getting really old). It'd be great to be able to get an integrated unit so I only have to fill up one pocket.

I'm aware of smart phones, but those have a reduced screen size as well as a couple of other issues I'm not fond of. What I really want is a PocketPC that happens to be able to receive phone calls. I don't care about wire web or any of the other "bonus" (and worthless) features on the phone side of things. Just a good, solid PPC that works as a phone handset (no ear buds or speaker phones).

Anyone know of something like this or am I dreaming?

I'm interested in the same thing. It would be nice to have one device that could perform several functions like that. I did a little research a couple of weeks ago and concluded that I'll wait for the next generation or so before I consider buying one.

Microsoft's site lists a few pocket pc phones, but they all have the previous windows mobile 2002 OS:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/buyersguide/buy/ppcpe/default.mspx
This article at PC World may also interest you:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,111642,00.asp

Later generations may have ATI's mobile 3d processor. I heard they had a functioning prototype phone that could play Doom (or one of the Quake games, I forget). Now that would be sweet. :)

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
I have had my Dell Axim an entire year now, and I still use it every day (three to five hours worth, for writing). I purchased the thumb keyboard for it, and it's been the best must-have accessory. It's easier for me to use in weird locations than the fold-out. :)

Also when I bought the Axim, the price couldn't be beat by anyone else. I don't know if that's still true though.

gravyboat

Explorer
The axim x3i is the newer model from the x5, the "i" stands for integrated wireless 802.11b standard. The wireless in any other brand typically sends the price up much further than what dell charges for their x3i. A very good handheld device.

Zelgadas

First Post
I'll give a little plug for something other than the Axim. First, let me say that I'm not what you'd call a 'power user'. I use my PocketPC to keep track of my bank account, to play a few games, and to schedule stuff. I don't surf the net (my PPC doesn't even really have that capability, outside of AvantGo), and I don't really play any powerful games; just free stuff I can download. That said, I'm quite pleased with my HP Ipaq 1910. It's got an SD slot (though it only supports expanded memory, not other types of expansion cards, like WiFi), it's got a transreflective screen, and it's got everything I really need in a PocketPC. Like I said, though, I'm not a power user; your mileage may vary. I forget exactly what it cost me, but a quick Google search reveals that they're retailing for about $200-300.

Remove ads