• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New PDF Software?

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Just to be clear, Acrobat (Std or Pro) is not a layout tool; it is the tool you use to create a PDF from already existing content and add functionality to the PDF once it's created.

Even without Acrobat, you can generate a PDF with free or low-cost tools. I've seen CutePDF, PDF995, and PrimoPDF/NitroPDF come up in this regard, but I have no experience with any of these. CutePDF, PDF995, and PrimoPDF offer "print this as a PDF" functionality for free. The pay products (PDF995 Suite appears to be nag-ware) appear to offer Acrobat-like functionality. Any tool that will allow you to edit (not just generate) a PDF should enable you to manually add bookmarks if you so desire.

Now, what you use to create the content that you want to turn into a PDF is a whole different ball of wax. OpenOffice is a usable layout tool, as is Microsoft Word... IMX, it's tough to get really classy-looking output from these. Not impossible, just tough. (Note that my experience with OpenOffice Writer is sorely outdated, but it continues to claim a Word-like environment, so I think it's safe to say they're about the same, time- and effort-wise.) In Microsoft Word, it's possible to generate PDF bookmarks automatically using the document outline (at least, this is true if you have Acrobat installed). I've read OpenOffice Writer works the same way (and its PDF generator is built in).

Dedicated page-layout software makes it easier to produce classy-looking output, but note that most users new to page-layout software experience a significant learning curve. InDesign and Quark XPress are the kings of this market, and their price tag reflects this. Microsoft Publisher and Serif PagePlus are cheaper. Scribus is free. All are going to offer varying levels of PDF export support; InDesign (being an Adobe product) is the winner here, IMX.

Last edited:

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting Acrobat 9. It installed and works fine with my system. I was able to learn it fast and should be producing more PDFs with it soon.

Be on the look out for more 1948 game supplements, more Oz stories, a couple collections of artwork and a 6-part comic book series set in 1948 coming soon.

time to get to work.

invokethehojo

First Post
Just to be clear, Acrobat (Std or Pro) is not a layout tool; it is the tool you use to create a PDF from already existing content and add functionality to the PDF once it's created.

Dedicated page-layout software makes it easier to produce classy-looking output, but note that most users new to page-layout software experience a significant learning curve. InDesign and Quark XPress are the kings of this market, and their price tag reflects this. Microsoft Publisher and Serif PagePlus are cheaper. Scribus is free. All are going to offer varying levels of PDF export support; InDesign (being an Adobe product) is the winner here, IMX.

I'm writing a game system and while it won't be ready to publish for a year or two I need to start figuring out the programs I'm going to lay it out with (assuming this is a feat I can accomplish myself). I really don't know anything about creating PDF's, and unfortunatly I don't know anyone that does. I can afford to buy an expensive design program, but I don't want to if it's not necessary, and as you mentioned there is a learning curve. Your entry here leads me to believe you know a lot about this topic. I'm the kind of person that does a lot of research before I buy something, but with this topic I really don't know where to start. Can you point me in the right direction or give me some pointers?

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Personally, I learn best by doing, so my suggestion would be to start by creating something *now* and evaluating whether what you create meets the standards you're setting for yourself. If so, then you don't need to look much further; if not, then you will need to determine whether acquiring new skills with your current software is the ticket, or whether new software will meet your needs.

As I said, I find trying to create publication-ready documents with word-processing software uncomfortable and difficult -- I find myself spending too much time "fighting" the software's proclivities and enforcing my needs upon it. Because I find it easier to create with (after learning through trial and error how to use it), I would recommend taking the plunge into page-layout software.

So here's a few online resources you can consult to familiarize yourself with some of the concepts involved in page layout.

On the general topic of desktop publishing (DTP):
How to Do Desktop Publishing
Learning Graphic Design Basics
Tasks, Techniques, and Tutorials of Page Layout and DTP
Simple Rules of Good Typography *
* I quibble with a couple specific points: hanging bullets outside the margin and Fibonacci sequence as point sizes. Otherwise, good suggestions.

On the more specific topic of page-layout/DTP software:
Using Page Layout Software
Desktop Publishing Software Tutorials

Download and use a trial version of InDesign (requires Adobe account [free]):
Adobe - Downloads
30 Tutorials That Will Teach You InDesign

Download and use a test-drive version of Quark XPress:
QuarkXPress 8 – Downloads

Download and use a trial version of Microsoft Publisher:
Publisher Home Page

Download and use Scribus:
Scribus Home Page
Scribus Documentation

HTH. HAND (and a Nice Read while you're at it :) ).

Last edited:

invokethehojo

First Post
Thanks Marius, that will save me a lot of time.

At my job I use word to layout comany documents and I've designed a few brochures like that, and I've found the same thing you did: I spend a lot of time fighting the software. The thought of laying out a 200 page book like that gives me a headache. With the time I've got and with the help you've provided me I'm sure I can choose a program and at least figure out if this is something I can do myself or something I need to hire out.

the-golem

Explorer
With the last semester of school, I actually had to do a design portfolio for one of my classes. Being the cheapskate I am, I confined myself to Open Source Software.

I've found that, quite honestly, OpenOffice Draw is much better to use as a layout/publishing tool, compared to its own Writer. There is also Scribus, but I haven't used it as muchch as OO Draw. Either way, both can export to PDF.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I have been using PagePlus by Serif for about five years now - not bad, and has some handy features (one that I thought would be a waste of time turned out to be one of the most used - once I got it through my skull that maps are images, and can be stuck to the image bar :erm:).

My favorite version is 12, about two editions ago, but that is just because of familiarity. Current is 14. Bookmarking and layers are both supported.

The Auld Grump

Kafen

First Post
Scribus and Open Office are what I use for my print items. I do not do a lot of PDF distribution as the games are all local at the moment, but I use Bullzip for things like watermarks, custom sizes, and whatever PDF options I need. All three are free options.

If you work with a local print shop, you can produce some good results at a decent price without charging people an arm and leg.

Remove ads