• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Player Needs Help/Advice

esstillia

First Post
Hello, I am a 23 year old female from Florida. I have been playing D&D for about two years on and off and this is my first time posting on a website. O.K. so let me get to the point, I play a half elf sorceress character and my party has recently obtained a magical sword from an adventure. My character had lied to the rest of the party and told them that she had been hired by a group of people to get the sword promising some sort of reward [the reward was never specified to the group]. However, she has really been hired by the Anarchist faction get the sword. She then gave the sword to the Anarchists, and as a reward, they let her become an official member of the faction. But she has no reward or anything to give to the group and that's where I am at right now. Our party is on Sigil right now. So basically what I want to know is, how can I get away with not paying anyone a reward? Our DM refuses to give me any advice so I need all the help I can get. Thanks everyone.

-Esstillia

Crothian

First Post
Lie again to the group. tell them that the group that hired you ripped you all of and that they now need to go after that group. Only use a differnet group then the one that actually hired you, most of the groups in sigil have enemy groups so pick them. Then tell your anarchist group that you are staging this daring raid or whatever to get credit and possible get more rewards from your real group.

Welcome to En World!! :D

was

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Lie again to the group. tell them that the group that hired you ripped you all of and that they now need to go after that group. Only use a differnet group then the one that actually hired you, most of the groups in sigil have enemy groups so pick them. Then tell your anarchist group that you are staging this daring raid or whatever to get credit and possible get more rewards from your real group.

Welcome to En World!! :D

I agree with Crothian. If possible, make the different group a lawful faction.

esstillia

First Post
Yah, I thought of that, but the problem is that one of my party members went with me to the bar where the headquarters of this faction is, and he witnessed the conversation there so he knows who I gave the sword to.

was

Adventurer
esstillia said:
Yah, I thought of that, but the problem is that one of my party members went with me to the bar where the headquarters of this faction is, and he witnessed the conversation there so he knows who I gave the sword to.

Maybe that guy was a traitor,or spy, and stole the sword to deliver it to another faction.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Welcome to the boards!

Say they were Fated, and they peeled you then gave you the laugh. Noone will disbelieve that story. They're called "Takers" for a reason, after all. Then, find out any plans the Revolutionary League has against the Fated (there are always a few), and use the other PCs to up your influence with the Anarchists by helping with said plot! They'll think they're getting revenge when they're really helping you impress the higher ups in your own Faction. :D

esstillia said:

Pay him off. With a future favor if you have to. Or promise him a higher reward in the next mission. :]

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
esstillia said:

And that was obviously a different person under an assumed identity in a fake headquarters. It was all a scam for them to get the sword so they set up a pretty complex operation to fool the rest of the PCs.

But if you don't want to go that route, then say the payment was in form of information about some treasure through some gate or something. Odds are the characters will eventually come across some hard to get treasure that you can claim is the reward.

Crothian

First Post
Also, you might want to edit the titel and include Planscape in there as we have some very knowidgible Planscape people round here that can give more specific advice.

Stormborn

Explorer
Oh, then you are in trouble. Unless of course you can subvert the other PC to your cause. Or possibly pay them out of your own pocket. Do any of the PCs in the group have an alliance (or an allignment that would make working with the anrachists a problem) with one of the factions in Sigil? If not then you might not be totally out of luck, if you can come up with a convincing angle to get the PCs to do another job arranged through you. If you can you might be able to work out how the loot from the one can help cover the reward from the other.

Personally, I try not to set up situations where this kind of thing can happen. Because honestly, sounds like you have set yourself up for some PvP action, and if its you against the party your sorceress is going to wind up dead or worse. But, that ship has already left the barn, so to speak, and so you have to figure out what to do now. If all else fails tell the truth, but not before comig up with a brilliant plan "to make it up to them." A sob story about why you had to trick them in the first place might help too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads