D&D 5E *New Player* Paladin(Ancient)/Warlock(Archfey) Tank/Smite Battery 5e

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Unlike some previous editions, multiclassing isn't a path to power. Much of your adventuring career the build you put forth will be weaker than a single classed character of equal level. You did avoid one of the big pitfalls of delaying ASIs/feats, but you are missing the level 5 power bump. Also with so many early feats your attack ability scores will fall behind what is the normal.

• Remember divine smite adds to melee weapon attacks only, not EB.
  • Warlock slots are not per encounter, they are per rest. A short rest in 5e is 1 hour, and in a 6-8 encounter adventuring day you can expect to get 2 of them.
  • At character level 5 most melee users have doubled their damage output with extra attack. This doesn't seem to be on your plan at any point in the 1-8.
  • Some clarification from Sage Advice - the opportunity attacks from Polearm Master need to be with the polearm, you can't use warcaster to substitute in EB. Not that this is definite but just so you know.

Frankly, I don't want your first experience with 5e to end up with you getting a wrong impression and not having fun playing a character that doesn't come together until later and your first months you'll be behind the curve. You may want to consider a single classed character simply to keep up unless you are really married to your concept.

Failedlegend

First Post
Unlike some previous editions, multiclassing isn't a path to power.
Never viewed it that way, I've always viewed it as the path to more fluid character advancement/roleplaying, 5e seems to loathe multi-classing, as if the devs added it to satisfy the people who wanted it but they didn't really want it. Note: My characters rarely ever stick with my initial level break/classes I just break it down to see if the idea would work, they almost always adjust for story purposes, main reasons I actual plan to follow the initial plan this time is because I don't know the system very well and I doubt adventurer's league spends much time on "character development" like my home group would Much of your adventuring career the build you put forth will be weaker than a single classed character of equal level. You did avoid one of the big pitfalls of delaying ASIs/feats, but you are missing the level 5 power bump. Also with so many early feats your attack ability scores will fall behind what is the normal.
[*]Remember divine smite adds to melee weapon attacks only, not EB.
Hmmm, I totally read it as "when you hit a creature you may expend a spell slot to deal radiant damage to your target" totally missed the "melee weapon" part...noted, still a good ranged option and still works on OAs thanks to Warcaster
[*]Warlock slots are not per encounter, they are per rest. A short rest in 5e is 1 hour, and in a 6-8 encounter adventuring day you can expect to get 2 of them.
Oh, that's kind of dumb, short rest has always been like 5-10 mins. That really lessens Warlock's niche to nearly pointless, you'd be better off with a Sorc than, no?
[*]At character level 5 most melee users have doubled their damage output with extra attack. This doesn't seem to be on your plan at any point in the 1-8.
That is a big downside yes but I do know that Eldritch blast gets a second shot at Level 5 and I think other cantrips get a boost as well, of course once I pick up Polearm Master I can do 2 smites in a single attack, 3 once I get extra attack
[*]Some clarification from Sage Advice - the opportunity attacks from Polearm Master need to be with the polearm, you can't use warcaster to substitute in EB. Not that this is definite but just so you know.
I don't think I can use Polearm master at all on an OA as it requires a bonus reaction, Warcaster is a "reaction" so it does mix nicely with Sentinel though...that said I am starting to wonder if an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster suit this better mechanically but a single class lock might be better for this character.
I don't want your first experience with 5e to end up with you getting a wrong impression and not having fun playing a character that doesn't come together until later and your first months you'll be behind the curve. You may want to consider a single classed character simply to keep up unless you are really married to your concept.
I am really excited about it but I'd be willing to consider other options if it still fulfilled my "fluff" (Might check out EK, AT or Draconic Sorc as Gish options)

Last edited:

Blue

Eldrich blast and booming blade both increase at 5.

Yes, but with all of the ASI going to feats, you have a lowered chance of landing them and lowered ability score damage. Plus polearm master bonus attack requires the attack action, so that excludes booming blade. Sentinel's attack a creature within 5 who ignores you is not an opportunity attack, just a melee weapon attack, so warcaster won't let you sub in BB.

EB won't synergize with the divine smites so even though it goes up you're missing part of the build.

Yes, two cantrips improve, but it doesn't work out the same bump that others get.

Blue

That is a big downside yes but I do know that Eldritch blast gets a second shot at Level 5 and I think other cantrips get a boost as well, of course once I pick up Polearm Master I can do 2 smites in a single attack
Polearm Master will let you spend your bonus action for an extra attack, but only if you are using the Attack action so it won't work if you are using Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade, so you won't get the cantrip boost at the same time. EB, as you said, does continue to improve at 5th.

Warcaster is a "reaction" so it does mix nicely with Sentinel though.
Actually, Warcaster is pretty explicit "When a hostile creature's movement provakes an opportunity attack from you..." which works great with Sentinel's ability to get an attack even if they disengage. However, it doesn't work with "When a creature within 5 feet of you make an attagain agianst a target other than you, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature". It's not triggered by a move nor an opportunity attack, so warcaster doesn't apply.

Failedlegend

First Post
Hmmm, well I'm not planning on dropping the Pally/Lock concept yet but I'm gonna check out Moon Druid, Pure Feylock & Nature Cleric. Druid + Wildshape is of special interest since it replaces your physical stats. Although Nature Cleric would also work and even grants me shillelagh. Pure Feylock keeps the really fun sounding EB and of course BB, might go Pact of the blade though and give in to having a good dex.

Last edited:

Failedlegend

First Post
Oh and just to clarify one of the reasons I'm considering non-tank options is because it seems that the group I'm planing to join has no shortage of tanks. So druid can be good at anything, cleric tank/heal and lock pure damage, EK would be an idea as well but i don't see it really see it fitting the "forest guardian" ascetic

Last edited:

Remove ads