• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New playtest packet available.

B.T.

First Post
Tome of Battle? Over powered..the group has no Druids/Clerics or Wizards with any competance at all right?

I didn't say his reaction was correct. You know how everyone thought the 3e warlock was wicked OP because it could do 11d6 damage at will with a touch attack while ignoring that the wizard can drop out 20d6 damage in an AoE and be playing his class ineffectively? It's kind of like that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I didn't say his reaction was correct. You know how everyone thought the 3e warlock was wicked OP because it could do 11d6 damage at will with a touch attack while ignoring that the wizard can drop out 20d6 damage in an AoE and be playing his class ineffectively? It's kind of like that.
People sometimes compare in narrow fashions.. ie they will compare things of similar thematics.(and ignore the fact that a druid can likely outfight a fighter and possibly even the warblade at anything but the very low levels and still have spells to contribute)

Henry

Autoexreginated
One thing I just now noticed in the packet is the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Belt of Giant Strength. The idea that they're going back to the 1st edition way of presenting them thrills me to no end!!! I hope this is a nod to the earlier versions that stays in there.

Grimmjow

First Post
One thing I just now noticed in the packet is the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Belt of Giant Strength. The idea that they're going back to the 1st edition way of presenting them thrills me to no end!!! I hope this is a nod to the earlier versions that stays in there.

why is this good? I'm not against it in anyway but why is this better then just gauntlets of strength?

triqui

Adventurer
why is this good? I'm not against it in anyway but why is this better then just gauntlets of strength?

It is much much worse.
It favors dumping stats, and it means those items will go to secondary melee chars. If your fighter has18 str and your melee cleric has 16, a 19 (or even 20) str gauntlet or belt will go to tje cleric beceause it is a waste in the fighter

It should give stuff valid for thr melee. Like adventage in str checks, the ability to use oversized weapons, or straight +2 damagee

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
This. My son came up with the idea of carrying around a pillow as an alternate weapon to attack his allies with just to keep his rage going. I pointed out that the pillow would still be doing a minimum of 2 points of damage per hit due to the bonus damage while raging. Kinda took the wind out of his sails.

Yeah. The pillow is a clever ploy, but:

1. the image of a raging, bloodthirsty pillow fight doesn't fit.
  2. By attack, they clearly mean attempt to kill things. A barbarian just doesn't get the same thrill out of hitting someone with a floral patterned Sealy.
I would allow this if the barbarian in question* were wearing a chainmail bikini.

*Male or female, of course.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It is much much worse.
It favors dumping stats, and it means those items will go to secondary melee chars. If your fighter has18 str and your melee cleric has 16, a 19 (or even 20) str gauntlet or belt will go to tje cleric beceause it is a waste in the fighter

It should give stuff valid for thr melee. Like adventage in str checks, the ability to use oversized weapons, or straight +2 damagee

I would suggest that the game and its designers should not go out of their way to "meta-proof" the game from those people. If players are actually dumping stats because they think/know they are going to be getting a set of Gauntlets of Ogre Power at some point and thus don't want to "waste" their point-buy points when they create their character... then you know what? They are an outlier and the game shouldn't bother wasting their time setting up rules trying to bring them "back in line".

4E tried to do just that. Create rules that took into account what they expected players would do and how they would behave. And they ended up getting shat from people on it. I mean after all... they went into 4E's design knowing that players were going to be given magic weapons by their DMs. So to curb "monty haul" syndrome and slap the wrists of those players who get given too much too soon and thus blow the DMs encounter design out of the water... they built the math of the game to take those magic items into account.

But then... they got shat on by everyone else because now the game was telling them they HAD to give out these magic weapons to everybody every five levels because otherwise... it would blow non-Monty Haul DMs encounter design out of the water.

They can't win.

So no... if a small segment of the playerbase is going to game the system... then that's THEIR gaming group's issue. It's not something WotC or the D&D populace on a whole should try and curtail or "save them from themselves". Because they tried that once. And it didn't ultimately work.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Again, I couldn't agree more [MENTION=7006]DEFCON 1[/MENTION]. (By again, I mean, I must have agreed with you recently b/c I can't XP you yet).

I don't want to see DnDN pander to all of these meta-game antics either. If people are going to play that way, good luck to them, but the game doesn't need to base the core around that. Never had any probs like the eg described in our game.

Greg K

Legend
Again, I couldn't agree more [MENTION=7006]DEFCON 1[/MENTION]. (By again, I mean, I must have agreed with you recently b/c I can't XP you yet).
Covered!
I don't want to see DnDN pander to all of these meta-game antics either. If people are going to play that way, good luck to them, but the game doesn't need to base the core around that. Never had any probs like the eg described in our game.
Agreed. Not a fan of pandering to those players.

Remove ads