• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

new poll so everyone will be happy!!!!!!

eberron 6 months later rank 1 to 10, 10 being the best ever and 1 as the worst

Votes: 7 3.8%

Votes: 5 2.7%

Votes: 8 4.3%

Votes: 2 1.1%

Votes: 6 3.2%

Votes: 11 5.9%

Votes: 12 6.5%

Votes: 35 18.9%

Votes: 25 13.5%

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • I have not played.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • What is eberron?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Didn't like it.

For me, all the rumors of its worthlessness proved true. I hated the techno/magic elements; the regions seemed derivitive if not blatantly ripped-off from other settings, and the whole noir thing failed to rescue what was otherwise a poorly planned setting. Oh, and the dinosaurs made it feel like Jurrasic Park gone wrong. Very wrong.

IMO

Disappointing to see so many of Wotc's new publication slots devoted to this setting. Guess we'll just have to ride it out.

Last edited:

Vocenoctum

First Post
When I initially saw Eberron, I determined I'd give it 4 books to see how it was as a setting. I figure that'll be enough chance for them to flesh out the setting.
The Core and Sharn have been hollow so far, perhaps Races of Eberron will be the book I need... we'll see.

tylerthehobo

Explorer
Eberron *could* be great, but it has ADD

There's just too much in it. I'm not talking about too much fluff vs. crunch - fluff is great - I love fluff. But, it's all this fluff that is supposed to interrelate and just doesn't. It's all over the place. It's as if a marketing committee asked a bunch of folks "in their target demographic" (whatever that may be now) what things they thought were cool. Harry Potter? Check. Steampunk? Check. Indiana Jones? Check. Shannara? Check. Cthulhu? Check. Great! Let's stitch it all together! Sadly, you can't really effectively just run the Indiana Jones portions without running some of the steampunk and noir, as well. I've tried my best to homebrew it enough to make it playable, but every time I buy a new adventure/supplement, I kick myself and think that I could have paid $10-30 for something I would actually use more than once before wincing.

It looks like WotC has devoted a serious amount of resources to getting Eberron off the ground, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that the focus of it gels a bit as we get underway.

Let me also add the caveat that I think Keith Baker is a great designer, and based on his frequent board postings a heck of a guy, too. I have a feeling - and this is just a gut feeling - that he may have had something really cool originally, and too many cooks just spoiled the pot.

IronWolf

blank
I'm just not too into it. Now I will be the first to admit that I am a bit stubborn as to how I picture my fantasy world and Eberron is just not it. I am not into the Warforged at all, not real fond of trains or flying ships and even the sky-scrapered cities throw me off a bit.

Perhaps the setting is just fine for some, but with several other settings to choose from (WotC and other d20 makers) I just don't find myself spending much time there.

apegod

First Post
shock the monkey said:
For me, all the rumors of its worthlessness proved true. I hated the techno/magic elements; the regions seemed derivitive if not blatantly ripped-off from other settings, and the whole noir thing failed to rescue what was otherwise a poorly planned setting. Oh, and the dinosaurs made it feel like Jurrasic Park gone wrong. Very wrong.

IMO

Disappointing to see so many of Wotc's new publication slots devoted to this setting. Guess we'll just have to ride it out.

Monkey man,
My group is loving Eberron in play for the same reasons you dislike it. We really like this setting and have played all the published material. If you haven't played it, I suggest you give it a try. Great setting. Orginal large map was disappointing. But the new on available on the WOTC website is great.

Dithered between 8 and 9, finally went with 9. I find Eberron to be one of the best campaign settings published--and that coming from someone who usually prefers more "traditional" fantasy, and was convinced (from advanced material) that I would hate the setting.

I love the fact that it fits together. Historically, culturally, magically/technologically, it actually reads like a world. They took all the standard D&D-isms, and took them into account in development. They worked a pulp/adventure feel, and designed the setting to accomodate. (As I've posted in the past, the world is almost a perfect metaphor for Europe between World War I and II. Indiana Jones as a half-elf fits here perfectly.)

I can't wait to see what else the line brings, and as long as the quality stay anywhere near where it's been, I'll continue buying every one of them.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I liked it when I picked it up, and even though Sharn wasn't really geared for me, I'm still liking Eberron and await future releases.

Kane

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads