• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New PrC: Kineticist

Axelos

First Post
Okay, made a few more changes. I eliminated the Spring Attack and Evasion prerequisites and changed the wording of the fast movement prerequisite so now it only requires character to have +10 over the base movement rate for the character's race.

You can see the current version by clicking the link in the first post.

Minaret

First Post
This is a really novel PrC – DM’s are going to love it as an NPC. Keep working on it and play-test it under "real-world" conditions. :)

I do have a few concerns from a game mechanics standpoint. My concern is that the PrC will have such an easy time building up points during combat that his batteries will never get low (an hour per level may be too long of a storage period). When the other spell-casters are tapped-out this PrC will just keep going and going.

A possible solution would be to increase the points needed to power the class abilities as well as shorten the storage time.

Just some things to think about. Overall, cool idea.

- Minaret

Axelos

First Post
Minaret said:

I do have a few concerns from a game mechanics standpoint. My concern is that the PrC will have such an easy time building up points during combat that his batteries will never get low (an hour per level may be too long of a storage period).

I think the character will be more likely to use his points as quickly as he gets them. In dungeons or other environments where you expect more trouble just beyond the next door or around the next corner, he might be more prone to bank them up, but in general I think most points will be used in the same combat they're earned in, with just a few extras possibly saved up from the last few rounds to give the PrC a quick boost at the beginning of the next encounter (or to enable him to accomplish some other task).

I've been going back and forth on the time limit for the kinetic point storage. It's been as high as a flat 24 hours and as low as one minute per kineticist level. I'm going to try play-testing it at its current setting, which is one hour per level.

In fact, I think the version I have now is the final pre-playtest version. After some playtesting I should have a better idea what to do.

On that note, anybody interested in helping me playtest this PrC? Or for that matter anybody going to just go ahead and use it, who would be willing to share the details of how it worked out after the fact?

Remove ads