• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New prestige class: Night Lyricist

MadLuke

First Post
Hi to all,
I've created this PrC and I'd like to know waht you think about it. I can say in advance is a mix among Shadow adept, Lyric Thaumathurge and Zhentarim spy, and I apologize in advance for my bad english or traslation mistakes.

Bye, MadLuke.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NIGHT LYRICIST

“Night music brings relief… And torment.”
― Shaneera Lacroix, Night Lyricist

The music is always emotion, yet it is only after the sun went down beyond the horizon that this also becomes particularly evocative, touching the soul of the listener with unusual intensity.
The Night Lyricist are bards who have chosen to devote all their efforts in cultivating the most mysterious and seductive of their noble art. For some of these, the night is a source of solace and peace, to others of intrigue and torment, depending on personal moral convictions.

REQUIREMENTS:
To qualify to become a Night Lyricist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Knowledge (Arcane) 6 ranks, Perform (any) 9 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells; ability to cast at least one spell with Shadow or Darkness descriptor.
Special: Bardic music 5/day.

Hit Die: d6

CLASS SKILLS
Skill points at each level: 4 + Int modifier.
The Night Lyricist class skills (and the key ability to each skill) are Listen (Dex), Knowledge, Arcane (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Diplomacy (Chr), Balance (Dex), Forgery (Int), Intimididate (Chr), Perform (Chr), Move silently (Dex), Hide (Dex), gather informations (Chr), Bluff (Chr), Sleight of hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Use magic device (Chr).
See chapter 4 Skills in the Player’s Handbook for skill description.

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the Night Lyricist prestige class.
Spells per day: When a new night lyricst level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in bard class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
Bardic Music: You gain one extra daily use of your bardic music ability per night lyricst level. You can use bardic music from this class to create any effect you know as a bard.

Cloak of Shadows (Su): You gain the ability to draw shadows to you, making it harder for others to see you. This grants you a +1 circumstance bonus for every Night Lyricist level on Hide checks. At 3rd level, once per day as a swift action, you can make your outline shadowy and indistinct, as the blur spell, for a number of minutes equal to your class level. When you reach level 6 you can use the Blur effect 3 times per day. At 8th level you can use the blur effect at will. At level 10, twice per day as an immediate action, you can make it harder to know your exact location, as if you were under the influence of the displacement spell, for 10 rounds.
Night Music (Ex): the night inspires a lyricist better than anything else. When making a perform check at night, he receives a +2 circumstance bonus. This disregards the actual conditions of light or if the place where it is located outdoors or indoors, and counts only the actual time of day.
Magical aura (Mag): A night lyricist can use his familiarity with the darkness to hide his powers to others. A night lyricist gets the ability to use the spell of Nystul magical Aura at will with caster level equal to class level, to hide his own items from identification.
Low-light vision (Su): at second level, a night lyricist gains the low-light vision, if he was not provided.
Night secret (Mag): at level 3 a night lyricist learns new spells which he adds to its normal bard list. If he is good-aligned, the spells are: 1st and 2nd remove fear and shadow mask in case of evil alignment spells are: 1st and 2nd Cause Fear and darkness spray.
At level 6, if the alignment is good spells are: 3rd and 4th good hope and spectral weapon; if alignment is evil spells are: 3rd and 4th despair and Armor of darkness.
At 9 th level, if he is good-aligned 5th and 6th level spells are: heroism and undead to dead, if the alignment is evil, spells are: 5th song of discord and 6th circle of death.
The neutral night lyricist can choose for each level of the spell list to take the spell. In any case, once chosen can not be changed, unless the lyricist and former alignment changes are no longer compatible.
Protection from scrying (Ex): Starting at fourth level, a night lyricist adds his class level to Will Saves against spells of divination (scrying), as well as the Spot checks made out to the sensors created by those spells.
Night spells (Mag): night inspires a night lyricst better than anything else. When casting spells at night, the CD for the benefit of a saving throw by +1 circumstance bonus. This disregards the actual conditions of light or if the place where it is located outdoors or indoors, and counts only the actual time of day.
Undetectable alignment (Ex): A night lyricist can use his familiarity with the darkness to hide from others his moral inclinations. This ability works as the undetectable alignment spell, except that it is always active.
Shadow walk (Mag): A night lyricist of at least 7th level, can cast walk in shadows spell once per day (caster level equal to his night lyricst level).
Darkvision (Su): At 7th level, a night lyricist can see in the dark as if it were under the effect of a darkvision spell.
Night form (Ex): for one minute a day you can become incorporeal and gain all the advantages of the incorporeal subtype. Get also flight capacity of 12 ft./round with perfect maneuverability.

THE NIGHT LYRICIST
Level BAB Fort save Ref save Will save Special Spellcasting
1 +0 +0 +2 +2 Cloak of Shadows, night music +1 level of bard class
2 +1 +0 +3 +3 Magical aura, low-light vision +1 level of bard class
3 +2 +1 +3 +3 Cloak of Shadows (blur 1/day), night secret +1 level of bard class
4 +3 +1 +4 +4 Protection from scrying +1 level of bard class
5 +3 +1 +4 +4 Night spells, undetectable alignment +1 level of bard class
6 +4 +2 +5 +5 Cloak of Shadows (blur 3/day), night secret +1 level of bard class
7 +5 +2 +5 +5 Shadow walk, darkvision +1 level of bard class
8 +5 +2 +6 +6 Cloak of Shadows (blur at will) +1 level of bard class
9 +6 +3 +6 +6 Night secret +1 level of bard class
10 +7 +3 +7 +7 Cloak of Shadows (displacement 2/day), night form +1 level of bard class

Last edited:

Samloyal23

Adventurer
you gain the ability to draw on you at any time or any shade element that hinders the view. This gives you a +1 for every level of Night Lyricist to Hide skill checks. At level 3, once a day as an immediate action, you can make your side dishes confused and indistinct,

Say what? I can tell there are some good ideas in this class, but you need to go back and edit the article for clarity. I do not understand what this paragraph means...

MadLuke

First Post
Say what? I can tell there are some good ideas in this class, but you need to go back and edit the article for clarity. I do not understand what this paragraph means...

I rewrote the "Cloak of shadows" paragraph. Better?

Sorry for my bad english... and for Google translations. :-(

Bye, MadLuke.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Try this:

You gain the ability to draw shadows to you, making it harder for others to see you. This grants you a +1 circumstance bonus for every Night Lyricist level on Hide checks. At 3rd level, once per day as a swift action, you can make your outline shadowy and indistinct, as the blur spell, for a number of minutes equal to your class level. When you reach level 6 you can use the Blur effect 3 times per day. At 8th level you can use the blur effect at will. At level 10, twice per day as an immediate action, you can make it harder to know your exact location, as if you were under the influence of the displacement spell, for 10 rounds.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
It's good. I'd add some effects related to sleep and dreams, maybe as further choices for the Night Secrets ability, you need some variety there...

MadLuke

First Post
It's good. I'd add some effects related to sleep and dreams, maybe as further choices for the Night Secrets ability, you need some variety there...

I didn't find anything really useful about sleep or dreams. Likewise there are always a lot of possible alternatives to any skill or feat... I won't care, I'm confident the class is already pretty and well balanced this way.

Bye, MadLuke.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads