• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Prestige Class: Shield Maiden

Nyrahil

First Post
For my Asgard based campaign I invented this PrC. I'd like to ask you guys about balance etc.

Shield Maiden

Shield Maidens are the protector of her husbands. They use wallshields to protect their husbands, while the man are wielding mostly two-handed weapons. Together these couple form a fighting power which should not be underastimated.
One will never find a shield maiden without her husband out of shouts reach. If a shield maidens husband should fall in battle the maiden will follow her husband after she avenged his death.
Hit die: d12

Requirements
Base Attack: +5
Heal: +4
Listen: +8
Innuendo: +4
Special: must have shield proficiency
Must be female
Must be married

Class skills
Craft, heal, innuendo, jump, listen, spot, sense motive

Skill points at each level: 2 + Int modifier

level bab fort ref will ac special
1 +1 +2 +2 +0 +1 Lover’s shield
2 +2 +3 +3 +0 +1 Uncanny dodge
3 +3 +3 +3 +1 +2 Four-eyes and two-minds
4 +4 +4 +4 +1 +2 Two-as-one
5 +5 +4 +4 +1 +3 Uncanny dodge
6 +6 +5 +5 +2 +3 Lover’s touch 1/day
7 +7 +5 +5 +2 +4 Lover’s touch 2/day
8 +8 +6 +6 +2 +4 Lover’s kiss 1/day
9 +9 +6 +6 +3 +5 Lover’s kiss 2/day
10 +10 +7 +7 +3 +5 Two-are-one

Class feature

Weapon and armor proficiency
The shield maiden is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor and shields

AC
The shield maiden recieves a dodge bonus as listed to her and her husband ac while protecting her husband with a shield.

Lover’s shield
If the shield maiden uses a total defense action she may try to block all attacks against herself and her husband (opposed attack roll; magic shield bonuses count as bonus to the attack roll for this) if both are within 5ft of each other.

Uncanny dodge
The shield maiden recives the uncanny dodge ability.

Four-eyes and two-minds
If the shield maiden and her husband are within 5ft of each other both gain the alertness and skill focus (Sense motive) feats.

Two-as-one
Due to their extensive training in combating together both members of the couple can occupy the same 5ft square. For the attacker there is a 50% chance that the attack hits the other member of the couple.

Lover’s touch
The shield maiden can use cure moderate wounds as a spell-like ability as a 5th-level druid on her husband and herself.

Lover’s kiss
The shield maiden can use cure serious wounds as a spell-like ability as a 7th-level druid on her husband and herself.

Two-are-one
The couple enhanced their fighting-style further. Now they are under a constant shield other spell, as long as they are within 5ft of each other.

Xarlen

First Post
I'm just saying this from a totally PC point of view. It seems the women are supposed to stand back and protect the Man, the Fighter, the one with the Weapon, while they hide behind a hunk of metal. ;)

uberkitty

First Post
maiden/matron

This is a picky language point:

"Maiden" literally means unmarried (or virgin) woman. It sounds like what you're proposing is a shield "matron." Or possibly shield "wife."

(I would suggest that you get rid of the problem entirely by not making the roles of shielder and fighter based on gender.)

Nyrahil

First Post
You do have a point there, but to my excuse I have to say that the concept of the "Shield Maiden" is something that was real for the germans in the times of the roman empire when they where still beliving in the asgardian gods. I just don't remember the right term for their "job".:confused:

Remove ads