• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Product: D&D ADVENTURE GRID

From: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/dd-adventure-grid
A tactical accessory for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

65DX_AdventureGrid_ProductImage.png

This sturdy double-sided, grid-lined play surface is ideal for when your Dungeons & Dragons campaign gets tactical. One side features a stone floor good for dungeon and city encounters alike, while the other features terrain useable for a wide range of rural and wilderness encounters. Additionally, the D&D Adventure Grid folds up for easy transport and storage, and can be used with both wet-erase and dry-erase pens interchangeably.
[h=3]ITEM DETAILS[/h]Price: $24.95 C$33.95
Release Date: 17 October, 2017
ISBN: 9780786966219

Paizo does good sales with their battlemaps, so it makes sense.
I like that the "wilderness" side is darker on the edges and lightens in the middle to make it easier to see details you're drawing.

Staffan

Legend
I do have to wonder what this brings to the table above what a Pathfinder Basic Flip-mat does, other than a D&D logo on the packaging. Paizo sells me two double-sided blank maps (grass, stone, street, water) for the same cost as this one (they generally sell one for $15, but the basics only come as a two-pack these days). I tried counting the squares and it seems this is 24"x30", the same as Paizo's.

I do have to wonder what this brings to the table above what a Pathfinder Basic Flip-mat does, other than a D&D logo on the packaging. Paizo sells me two double-sided blank maps (grass, stone, street, water) for the same cost as this one (they generally sell one for $15, but the basics only come as a two-pack these days). I tried counting the squares and it seems this is 24"x30", the same as Paizo's.
Probably nothing.
But it might be more recognizable in stores and come up on online searches for "D&D" more readily.

The Old Crow

Explorer
Paizo does good sales with their battlemaps, so it makes sense.
I like that the "wilderness" side is darker on the edges and lightens in the middle to make it easier to see details you're drawing.

The lighter in the middle part might sell me on this. I bought something similar a while back from Paizo, but the mats were a lot darker then they were pictured on the package, and I have only ever used the lightest one. The rest are too dark to easily see anything drawn on them.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I'm kind of confused by this product.

Don't get me wrong, I get the grid thing. I like grids, especially for complicated environments, or cramped combats. Plus, I draw maps on graph paper just for fun.

But, the picture of the product makes it look like a hardcover book. The white space between the front and rear covers gives the appearance that the product has pages, like a book.

Is there only one reversible grid, and the hardcover is basically a folder to protect it when packing it up and transporting it between sessions? Is the grid, when folded up, so thick it fills the kind of space shown? If so, that sounds very thick for what has been (above) hypothesized to be a 24 by 30 inch grid.

Staffan

Legend
Is there only one reversible grid, and the hardcover is basically a folder to protect it when packing it up and transporting it between sessions? Is the grid, when folded up, so thick it fills the kind of space shown? If so, that sounds very thick for what has been (above) hypothesized to be a 24 by 30 inch grid.

FWIW, the Paizo equivalents fold down to about the same thickness as a 64-page softback sourcebook.

MechaPilot

Explorer
FWIW, the Paizo equivalents fold down to about the same thickness as a 64-page softback sourcebook.

That's very interesting. i didn't know that. I've always used gridded paper, and not any kind of dry-erase product, so I have no frame of reference for thickness on those. Thank you.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm glad to see this product, even though I don't think I would find it that useful.

I think that WoTC / Hasbro should focus on selling game more game aids like this. Rulesbook revenue will only take you so far.

Also, this seems like it would be very useful for a new DM just getting into the game. Many casual gamers are not going to want to spend a lot of money on Chessex battlemats (which they will probably ruin the first one when they try dry erase markers on them).

But for me, I have a very large Chessex battlemaps. More over, I really don't need a grid. I use a measure stick which allows me to use gridless felt battlemats with various scenery/patterns printed on them or I can just use the table, or lay a dry erase board flat on the table.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads