• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Race for Review - Minotaur (civilized)

Khaalis

Adventurer
I think you mean brave instead of brace under Minotaur Characteristics, right?
Yup. Thanks for the typo catch. I need new eyes to edit since I miss stuff after having stared at it so long.

And I think STR 13 for Mighty Swing a too low pre-requisite (specially for a race that earns +2 racial bonus). I would've made it 15 (and maube CON 15 also). It´s a very strong feat that allows any attack power he uses (almost) to simulate the effect of a Tide of Iron or other powers that have that feature as a differential. I think it would also be wise to limit this somehow (maybe restricting to melee basic attacks, or making it work only against defenders that are smaller than the minotaur.
I can see STR 15. As for only on smaller creatures, that would definitely reduce its usefulness.

Would this be better as a Paragon feat? Or would STR 15 and "on basic attacks" be enough to balance it?

Otherwise, the text and the editing is really great (ti's a shame, tough, that the main image shows only a male minotaur, but that's how life is). You could cut it and stretch it a little (maybe to copy the class image effect on the page), just to clean the empty space below the picture.
I've tried to edit the art and they don't seem to work so well. Most of the PHB art was specifically drawn to fit that space, but most art is drawn to be more a classic square palate or page shape. Also the only male/female art I could find were some campy (or X rated) WoW Taurens, so that was a no go. Most art tends to be that way, and I cant afford to commission art. lol

generalhenry

First Post
Does +3 seem broken when compared to not being able to use it on ranged weapons?
very yes. Throwing hammers and axes are weak weapons.

That and dwarves don't have +2 str or oversized weapons.

Nothing in the MM uses maze.
how about an unfailing sense of orientation?

I wanted them to be slightly less pigeonholed than just saying one or the other.
yes, but CHA for Bull men?

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
very yes. Throwing hammers and axes are weak weapons.
But ranged capability isn't weak. However, I can see the point. However making it +2 on melee axes and hammers then makes it less powerful than the dwarven version. Any suggestions?

how about an unfailing sense of orientation?
How would you word this, since nothing else like it really exists? Direction sense is basically a Nature check (common DC). Something like this?

"You have an innate sense of direction and automatically succeed all Nature checks made to determine direction."

yes, but CHA for Bull men?
Charisma measures your force of personality, persuasiveness, and leadership - not your looks. So why not CHA?

generalhenry

First Post
Any suggestions?

drop it.

Dwarves and eladrin have the feats as crutches as they would other wise be wimpy in melee. Minotaurs do not need the any melee damage boast.

"You have an innate sense of direction and automatically succeed all Nature checks made to determine direction."

sounds fine

force of personality, persuasiveness, and leadership

again, bull men? Minotaurs are best known for being exiled onto islands and hanging out in mazes.

Khaalis

Adventurer
drop it.
Dwarves and eladrin have the feats as crutches as they would other wise be wimpy in melee. Minotaurs do not need the any melee damage boast.
That works. Makes sense after the comments. Getting proficiency in them is enough to show their proclivity for them.

sounds fine
I'll get that added in. I also think this should drop it back to a heroic feat.

again, bull men? Minotaurs are best known for being exiled onto islands and hanging out in mazes.
Only in Greek mythology. That stereotype doesn't match the fluff of the race as written. These minotaurs are more like a cross between (dare I say it...) a WoW Tauren and a Krynnish Minotaur. More outgoing, tribal, nomadic, traders and seagoers.

thesquidasaur

First Post
Umm.... was this meant as a troll?

The only thing taken directly from the MM is their Goring Charge and Oversized abilities and making "Ferocity" a racial feat, unless you count "Medium size, Normal vision and standard base 6 speed" as copying.

oh no. i am sorry.
i only saw goring charge. i meant no disrespect.
um, yeah. i just saw the pdf though and it is really good.

Wonka

First Post
I like it, fleshed out from the MM Minotaur and I think it works well. Just a few comments.

1) On page 3, the feat box has the Epic Tier feat labeled as Paragon ( ie there are two paragon feat boxes :) )

2) As has been stated, Mighty Swing is amazing, should definitely have a steeper str requirement, 15 or 16 seem fair.

3) As also has been said, the Maze Immunity feat seems practically useless, and really only seems to support the fluff.

Other than those (mosty have been previously stated) comments, I like the feel and especially the look of the thing, you id a very nice job of making it match the PHB!

Lokathor

First Post
4e is designed to only have 10 languages ever because they wanted to cut down on language barriers being a source of problems for PCs. You should probably list something like "Giant, Common" for groups that aren't using expanded language rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads