• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW! Robe of Defense - Custom Item Help

stegma

First Post
Here is the new Robe of Deffence. As in an earlier thread everything was a mess and after lots of calculations, lots of debate and hints from party members. This is what I came up with.

If anyone has the time, can you go over this calcuation befoer I hand it over to my DM for approval? THANKS!!!

====================================================================

Robe of Defense

This robe grants the user to instantly buff him self with a variety of spells when entering combat or when needed. One buff can be activated per round as a free action.

Shield: +4 AC and Protection from Magic Missile (1 Minute)
Blur - 20% Miss Chance (3 Minutes)

1(Shield) * 3(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *0.6 (3 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 1200g
2(Blur) * 3(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *0.6 (3 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 7200g

1200 + 7200 x 1.5 = 12,600 (Item Value)
Craft Cost: 6,300
Craft Time 13 Days
XP: 504

===================================================================
ITEM UPGRADE - INVISIBILITY + ABOVE BASE AFFECTS

2(Invisibility) * 3(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *0.6 (3 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 7,200

(12600 + 7,200 x 1.5) – 12600 = 17,100 Gold (Item Upgrade Cost)
Item Value 29,700
Crafting Cost: 8,550
XP: 684
Craft Time: 18 Days

*** Grants Invisibility for 3 minutes. Stops functioning if subject attacks or casts a spell on opponent.

ITEM UPGRADE – RESIST ENERGY + INVISIBILIY + ABOVE BASE AFFECTS

2(Fire) * 3 (CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *0.4 (2 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 4,800

(29,700 + 4,800 x 1.5) – 29,700 = 22,050 Gold (Item Upgrade Cost)
Item Value 51,750
Crafting Cost: 11,025
XP: 882
Craft Time: 23 Days

*** Resistance to Fire Damage. Once 30 Fire damage absorbed the spell stops functioning.

TOTAL ITEM VALUE AFTER ALL UPGRADES 51,750.

Infiniti2000

First Post
1. What 'use' is the use-activation?
2. shield at CL3 lasts 3 minutes.
3. shield should cost 3,600 gp (1 * 3 * 2000 * 0.6 * 1).
4. "Once 30 Fire damage absorbed the spell stops functioning." Why would you include this restriction? If you really want to include it, I would allow a 25% decrease in the price of that ability.

BSF

Explorer
You are still trying to activate as a free action, that should require the Quicken Spell feat being applied.

That would move Shield to effectively being a 5th level spell and Blur to being a 6th level spell.

Effectively bumping it to the following:
5(Quickened Shield) * 3(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *0.6 (3 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 18000g
6(Quickened Blur) * 3(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *0.6 (3 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 21600g

18000 + 21600 x 1.5 = 59400 (Item Value)
Craft Cost: 297000
Craft Time 55 Days
XP: 2376

Get rid of the free actions to activate and you drop the requirement to use Quickened versions. It really is the free actions to activate that kill you as far as cost goes. But hey, that does allow you to act normally on your turn. That is pretty danged valuable in itself.

I won't go over the upgrades as I am sure you can apply them yourself when you get to the point of upgrading.

stegma

First Post
Ok I read a good site on what exactly "Use activated" means.... so yes .. Use activated can be a standard action or a free action. It realy deppends on what it is.

In this case ... i understand it would be a Standard Action..

Blaah ok ... well.. ill have to think about this if its worth getting.

stegma

First Post
Hey - everyone kind of forgot to compare this item to the continuous items in the books. When you compare that to the prices than it has to make you think.. hmm oh yea.

Comparing to for Example:
Ring of Protection +4AC – 16,000 which is continuous
Cloak of Displacement Minor – 20% Miss Chance at 24,000 Gold. Continuous Use.

The Robe has been reworked a bit (swift actions and slightly more expensive)

This robe grants the user to instantly buff him self with a spell when entering combat or when needed. One spell per round can be activated as a Swift Action.

Shield: +4 AC and Protection from Magic Missile that lasts 3 Minutes / 3 Times per Day
Blur: 20% Miss Chance that lasts 3 Minutes / 3 Times per Day

1(Shield) * 3(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *0.6 (3 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 3600g
2(Blur) * 3(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *0.6 (3 times/day) *1 (slotted) x1.5 (Added Ability) = 10,800g

Total Item Value: 14,400
Craft Cost: 7,200
Craft Time 15 Days
XP: 576

DM Approved :) - Hey Everyone, dont forget that this is a fully customizable game. Rules are there to help you but even in the book it states that the pricing guidelines arent 100% accurate and always compare it to existing items to give you a better idea of what it should be.

Wish

First Post
300k for blur and shield? That's a little extreme. He can get 90% of the same effects for 1/10th that, and it's always on (+3 mithral bucker and minor cloak of displacement.) You're making way too much of the "free action" bit, when you need to be comparing it to existing items (like boots of speed, which activate as a free action, or a minor cloak of displacement, which is effectively a constant blur effect).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wish said:
300k for blur and shield? That's a little extreme. He can get 90% of the same effects for 1/10th that, and it's always on (+3 mithral bucker and minor cloak of displacement.) You're making way too much of the "free action" bit, when you need to be comparing it to existing items (like boots of speed, which activate as a free action, or a minor cloak of displacement, which is effectively a constant blur effect).
Actually, it was around 30k. He just accidentally added an extra '0' to the end ;)

Remove ads