• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New screenshots of character visualizer, virtual tabletop

Benimoto

First Post
I just noticed that over at Boing Boing they have some new screenshots of what I assume is the character visualizer and virtual tabletop parts of D&D Insider.

They also mention that we'll see more of the application at DDXP this weekend.

Relevant to the Rogue weapons discussion we've been having lately, one of the screenshots shows the weapons characterized as "military", "simple" and "superior", with the rapier in the superior category.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I'll just say this, I am glad I am using table-top, cause my imagination works a lot better then those pictures/characters :p

Huh... Now that is interesting, I wonder then where the whole "Pick"-proficiency falls into this.

Fallen Seraph said:
I'll just say this, I am glad I am using table-top, cause my imagination works a lot better then those pictures/characters :p

Huh... Now that is interesting, I wonder then where the whole "Pick"-proficiency falls into this.

Well it basicaly confirms the 8 PHB1 classes too....

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
The character modeler looks like dog crap; fantasy cliche at best.

With the innovations already present in MMORPGs today, you'd think that WotC would actually hire expert character modelers. These people are a dime a dozen, and hungry for work.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Benimoto said:
Relevant to the Rogue weapons discussion we've been having lately, one of the screenshots shows the weapons characterized as "military", "simple" and "superior", with the rapier in the superior category.
Interesting!

And for the record: Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, Warlord, Wizard.

edit: and to answer a question from another thread: Rapiers are in. As are Katars.

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
The armor and weapons look ok. But the faces aren't very good. Too round with unattractive hair.

I don't play WoW, but the WoW character modeller pretty much set the bar that I think WotC should try to exceed.

I dunno how WOW or any other MMO characters look but I know what the graphical quality of Crysis is and these character portraits look awful. A real retro 90's computer game look, yuck.
Not only are the detail levels and image quality very poor but they have real 'clipping' problems. The characters hand, for example, don't even go around the weapons (doesn't help that the weapons are so stupidly porportioned).

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Though I guess you got to figure make it too pretty and only high-end computers would be able to run it which would be very annoying if you and ALL your friends you want to play online with have to upgrade their computer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads