New Special Materials Beyond Neutronium. Quark, Strange, and Black Hole Matter

With abrogate you can deactivate abilities even from objects?
No, but you could disarm a foe or find some other means of breaking through. The damage blocking effect only blocks attack rolls so any attack that isn't an attack roll will still get through. Also Ultimate Weapon Focus will cut through this power as it makes your attack roll infinite. Hmm. I'm thinking of making Ultimate Weapon Specialization and Event Horizon simply negate one another. It was supposed to be a sort of foil for that ability.. Thoughts?

Obly99

Hero
I'm thinking of making Ultimate Weapon Specialization and Event Horizon simply negate one another. It was supposed to be a sort of foil for that ability.. Thoughts?
Interesting idea, why?
Also Ultimate Weapon Focus will cut through this power as it makes your attack roll infinite.
I have always understood Perfect Defense, Transcendental [Saving throw] and Ultimate Weapon Focus as different from infinity.
Even if one has infinite strength it cannot hit one with Perfect Defense because it specifies that you cannot be hit. Conversely, if you have Ultimate Weapon Focus you would hit regardless of one with infinite Dexterity because it specifies that you always hit. I have always meant infinity as "restrained" because even if you have infinite dexterity a natural rolled "20" hits you the same because it hit automatically while a "1" makes you fail regardless of why, because its an automatic fail. With Perfect Defense, Transcendental [Saving throw] and Ultimate Weapon Focus this does not apply as they are abilities that avoid you roll.

Interesting idea, why?

I have always understood Perfect Defense, Transcendental [Saving throw] and Ultimate Weapon Focus as different from infinity.
Even if one has infinite strength it cannot hit one with Perfect Defense because it specifies that you cannot be hit. Conversely, if you have Ultimate Weapon Focus you would hit regardless of one with infinite Dexterity because it specifies that you always hit. I have always meant infinity as "restrained" because even if you have infinite dexterity a natural rolled "20" hits you the same because it hit automatically while a "1" makes you fail regardless of why, because its an automatic fail. With Perfect Defense, Transcendental [Saving throw] and Ultimate Weapon Focus this does not apply as they are abilities that avoid you roll.
Hmm I could agree with that, that said however, it could be very exploitable, it gets rid of non fighter types capacity to defend against such things, giving fighters, who already have an advantage in IH due to the bonus feats they receive being able to be turned into divine abilities, even more of an advantage, so, to me, I wouldn't allow it to work as such at first blush. I've always allowed the two things to just be layers of the same idea. I still make Ultimate Weapon Focus roll to crit and roll to fail, that makes combat more dynamic regardless, so I keep that in, but I can definitely see where you're coming from with that. I would need to see how it played out balance wise and see how it all connects to be certain.

That said, regarding the Event Horizon power working with Ultimate Weapon Specialization, I like Ultimate Weapon Specialization, but I've always felt it was a fairly pedantic power, just too strong but in a way I like, and I feel one of it's biggest issues is there's no real counter to it. I'd love to make a parry type ability that allows you to Ultra Instinct away from attacks, and sort of work as a foil for Ultimate Weapon Specialization. I guess Elusion sort of does that already.

I think I will make it negate it.

I think that'll allow things like Trans Attack Period to make more sense and be really useful in that situation and things like Ultimate Weapon Focus to really shine.

Last edited:

Bootlebat

Explorer
I agree with what you said but one thing puzzles me:

I understand the crit part (you still have to threaten) but why roll to fail when you literally have a power that says "you can't fail".
I think he means "fail to get a crit", not "fail to hit altogether".

I understand the crit part (you still have to threaten) but why roll to fail when you literally have a power that says "you can't fail".
Because fate and chance should still be a thing. Unless specifically negated through Inner Eye, you should always have a chance of failure imo. But, run your campaign however the rules make sense to you. If you feel the ability should make you never fail on a nat 1, then go for it, there's definitely an argument to be made in favor of your perspective.

Last edited:

You know what guys, looking at the power again, I'm getting it mixed up with my basic rules for infinite stats. I was kind of winging my response last night from bed, so I didn't have the books in front of me, so I digress. If someone has infinite strength or infinite dex they can still miss with a nat 1, Ultimate Weapon Focus doesn't have that problem. It quite literally says that, specifically, so I just fuxked up. My bad.

Last edited:

Bootlebat

Explorer
You know what guys, looking at the power again, I'm getting it mixed up with my basic rules for infinite stats. I was kind of winging my response last night from bed, so I didn't have the books in front of me, so I digress. If someone has infinite strength or infinite dex they can still miss with a nat 1, Ultimate Weapon Focus doesn't have that problem. It quite literally says that, specifically, so I just fuxked up. My bad.
According to the rules all deities don't automatically fail on a natural one. Did you just change it in your campaign?

Remove ads