• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New spell... what level or tweaks?

random user

First Post
I created a custom spell (well spell-like ability actually) to use against my players, but thought it might work as a spell as well (or it might not... which is why I'm posting).

I have no idea what level the spell should be, however. Any opinions on that would be welcome. Also, if anyone has any thought on tweaks, those would be welcome too. I'm not sure it will actually be viable as a spell, but it certainly was useful to throw against my players since they had no idea what it would do.

This took place on a tundra. Converted to a spell, I would allow it to be organic as well as ice.

Frozen Vines

The target area of this spell must be a 15' by 15' square. If any creature larger than size tiny is in this area when the spell is cast, the spell fails. Targets size tiny and smaller are affected as by a wall of ice. The caster may choose any number of targets to be unaffected by the vines when casting the spell. The vines will attack all other targets if they are within range.

Upon spell completion, a pillar of ice and vines (similar to appearance as a roper) forms. The vines have a reach of 10' and have unlimited attacks of opportunity (though only one against each creature for each action). The next round vines will attempt to trip any and all persons within reach with discernable legs, or simply attack if there appear to be no legs. The vine structure is rooted in place.

The vine structure has: AC: 15 (all natural), HP:40, BAB +15, trip +23 (15 BAB, 4 for large size, 4 for unusually stable), damage: 2d6 cold damage, immune to cold, magical fire destroys immediately.

Because my players didn't know the stats on them, they were fairly effective, tripping several people and doing some damage before they were destroyed. However, I feel that against players who know the stats, it has a number of contradictions which make it less effective...

It has a high base attack, which suggests it should be high level; however it has low ac and hp which make it easy to kill, and it deals out little damage. One thought is to make it a series (like Bigby's) where it grows stronger over time. For example, the high level version should probably not have a round delay in between creation and first attack.

Any thoughts or tweaks?

(And in case you were wondering, the idea for this spell stemmed from the totems that shaman use in World of Warcraft.)

JimAde

First Post
Well it's notably less nasty than Evard's Black Tentacles, so level should be below 4th level.

The final level depends on the duration and so on, but I'd lean toward 2nd level. I think it's comparable to Web as far as controlling the battlefield. It is able to do damage (unlike Web) but is also easier to evade.

I'm a little confused by the description because it sounds like a creature at some points, and like a spell effect at others. How do you treat it? Does it have a limited number of normal attacks based on its BAB, or does it automatically get to attack everybody in its reac on its turn?

Just a note: The +4 for unusually stable only applies to defending against trips, not tripping others. If you just want to say it has improved trip, though, it has the same effect, and I assume you don't want this thing to provoke AoO when it trips, right? :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Fire should do double damage, not destroy immediately. Should have almost the same effect if there is a fire spell cast at it, but removes the "Whack it with a torch" idea.

Instead of saying "Unlimited attacks of opertunity" try this.

"The vines will attack anyone standing in it's reach on it's turn. Any creature that moves through it's reach will also be immediately attacked. While it can only attack under these circumstances, there is no limit to the number of attacks the vines can make."

BAB is a bit high. Might try BAB is 1/level of caster, maximum of 5*spell level (If 20+, then no max).

I don't like the "Ignore my friends" feature of this. Make it attack blindly, but dismissable by the caster (duration 1 rnd per level).

On an interesting side note, I would rule this a summon, so augment summoning would boost it's strenght (no HD, so no HP change though).

If you make all the changes it should be a 3rd level spell if you're talking arcane, 4th level spell if you're talking druid/cleric.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads