New Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Tenchuu

First Post
"We found these documents, and the spear, in a basement nearby... sort of," Jin said. "We're not sure where the basement really was. It was... transplanted from another place, like a black king on the white side the chess board."

Jin started thinking aloud. "What if that basement was really from this island. It would explain how the thieves had the items. Or maybe they stole the items from the island and the basement was their lair..."

Talking with purpose again, Jin said, "We still have unfinished business with the bandit leader."

Phoenix8008

First Post
Realizing that Fargo isn't really a threat, Talon pats his leg to call Dayna over to him. She stops growling at the dwarf and pads over to the shifters side so that he can scratch behind her ears for her.

Talon nods at Jin's explanation before adding, "Yes. Like Jin say, yesterday we go in cellar door here in Daunton but wind up in cellar of somewhere far away. Beat thieves and take some weapons and this chest with these papers in it. Find that map there on small getaway boat. Killed all the thieves except for leader who got away. After we get necklace that was lost into wrong cellar, we wound up back in right cellar and came out door back here in Daunton. Just figured out what papers say today though."

"But you from that part of world and know story all ready. Made me nervous that you were here to steal papers and weapons back somehow. Sorry about being angry. Here..." Talon says as he twists the grips on the longspear to retract it to its normal length. Spinning the weapon around, he plants the tip of the spear on the floor with the haft pointing upward. "You can check it out and touch I guess if it that important. Figure you want to see important end with runes and stuff. I think it says 'When it is my turn, I will show you my power.' "

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"You can check it out and touch I guess if it that important.
Fargo's excitement is palpable, "Thank'ye kindly." He shambles over to the spear and hefts it, examining the extending flame-blade, and the base of the spear.
Figure you want to see important end with runes and stuff. I think it says 'When it is my turn, I will show you my power.' "
Fargo nods in agreement...and thought. A light seems to enter the dwarf's eyes and his jaw hangs a little, "Nah. I' couln' be..." He upends the spear and grips the bottom of the shaft with his hands, where the runes are inscribed. Giving the shaft a twist, the butt of the spear unscrews revealing a cylindrical compartment in the base of the spear. As Fargo rights the spear again, he holds his hand below the empty compartment as if to catch something. A faint sliding noise is heard from inside the spear, and a ghostly blue light grows in the palm of Fargo's hand until a small crystalline cylinder (about 3 inches in length and a half inch in diameter) drops into it. The cylinder is transparent-blue and appears to contain a violent, yet silent storm. The dwarf's fingers close around the carved stone, his face in a contorted image of pain, "Tis... th'... real.. thin'...." He looks around, "A pouch.... A pouch..."

Talon offers a belt pouch, and Fargo places the stone in the pouch, still being held by Talon. Then he squeezes the handle on the spear.... The blade extends, but there is no luminous display as was previously seen, "Righ' lad. Na' th' stone."

Talon, not quite understanding, but curious, gives the pouch to the sailor, who slides the stone back into the butt of the spear and screws the pommel back on. With the spear reassembled, Fargo tries the handle once more. As the blade extends, the expected blue electric arcs (curiously they are the same color as the stone) shoot upward and scatter across the ceiling like so many cloud-to-cloud lightning bolts. Fargo laughs and hands the spear back to Talon, "Tha' there's a legun' ye go' i' yer 'ands. Don' le' i' slip from ye na." He gives the shifter a wink.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Talon in unsure as the dwarf disassembles his spear, then starts to get mad as he seems to have stolen its power away. But after the stone is replaced and the power returned, Talon is relieved. After a moments thought though, he asks Fargo "That easy to disable the magic of my spear? Maybe I can pour molten metal down shaft to seal it in. Hmmm..." The shifter rubs his chin as he thinks. Then his eyes open wide and a look of wonder comes over him. "But what if I could find more of those stones and fit them in the shaft instead!?" he asks the dwarf. "Could it be made more powerful?"

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=JNC]Not my intent, but if you want it to be, maybe Cov can use it the backstory. How did Woe get a spear from Rioc Parvel. Sounds like there's a story there...[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
"Wow. The extending spear would be handy for a dwarf fighting giants, huh? This spear deserves a good name. Maybe 'Giant-Bane'. I bet its killed some giants in its time. Or maybe 'Avalanche', or 'Stormsplinter'. Not sure what, but something. Oooh, how about 'Storm-Shard'! I like that alot." Talon says with enthusiasm before a thought strikes him. "Fargo, you can find Kartuk, right? And with these directions you can find Rioc Parvel from there? I wonder what happened to Hankel..." Talon muses.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"Wow. The extending spear would be handy for a dwarf fighting giants, huh? This spear deserves a good name. Maybe 'Giant-Bane'. I bet its killed some giants in its time. Or maybe 'Avalanche', or 'Stormsplinter'. Not sure what, but something. Oooh, how about 'Storm-Shard'! I like that alot." Talon says with enthusiasm before a thought strikes him. "Fargo, you can find Kartuk, right? And with these directions you can find Rioc Parvel from there? I wonder what happened to Hankel..." Talon muses.
"Aye. Aye wander too." Fargo scratches his beard, "D'ya remember anythin' 'bout the basent wi'th'bandits? Anythin' that'd tell ye whare i'as?"[sblock=OOC]Feel free to use the first few pages of Wayne's Basement to jog your memory.[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
"The back of the basement had a tunnel leading to a stream or river. Not that wide, but fairly brisk pace. The front of the basement was some kind of food and spirit storage. A fair amount of food and a glut of alcohol. Ensconced lanterns surrounded the room, providing fair light, without smoke," Jin recalled.

Remove ads