• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Template for my Campaign

Greatfrito

First Post
Okay, I'm just looking for any thoughts on the CR modifications for this template, and any input possible for how I should work it.

Don't let the name fool you: these creatures are not from the plane of shadow, but instead draw their name from the terrible catastrophe that forever marred them with a natural aversion to magic of all kinds, and an evil disposition. I don't quite know how this template should work out.

Shadowkin Template
===================================
*Dex +4 : Shadowkin creatures are more agile, partially because they are lighter than real-world creatures.
*Hide / Move Silently +4 : Shadowkin are adept at sneaking around.
*Spell Resistance 15 + HD/Class Levels : Shadowkin are innately resistant to magical effects, and can shrug them off with no effort.
*Spellcasting Aversion: Shadowkin have an innate chance for any magic they use to fail. They must make a concentration check (DC 20) in order to cast any spell, or to use any triggered magic item.

Okay, that's pretty much it... really simple, I know. Probably needs work, but that's why I'm posting it now.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Spellcasting Aversion shouldn't really be a fixed check (it basically means low levels always fail and high levels always succeed. End Result: Only high level shadowkin are casters Effect: Pretty much zip.) it should either be scaling with spell level (Perhaps DC 20 + 2 * Spell Level) or absolute (can't use magic) or a penalty to DCs or caster level. (which lasts forever)

Hmm, somewhere between CR +1 and CR +2, probably on the +2 side due to the high SR. With some kind of scaling of Spellcating Aversion it'd probably drop back to +1.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Spellcasting Aversion will only harm certain classes and/or monster types and is thus inherently imbalanced -- this template will not add a flat +X CR.

Consider instead some fixed effect that's bad for any class/monster type -- for example, Cure Aversion: Shadowkin life force is incompatible with normal magic. They are immune to any cure spell, including heal. They benefit or suffer normally from restoration and inflict effects.

-- N

Kalanyr

Explorer
Oooh, maybe they can't lower their SR and have to check any spell they cast or magic item against it before it can be used. That would be a PITA.

CombatWombat51

First Post
Kalanyr said:
Oooh, maybe they can't lower their SR and have to check any spell they cast or magic item against it before it can be used. That would be a PITA.

I like the idea of not being able to lower their SR.

Oh, and I also wanted to mention that +6 to Hide and MS is quite a lot... you probably know that, though

Greatfrito

First Post
Replies

Hmm, looking at it, I think I'm going to just say that they can't cast spells or use spell-like abilities (supernatural would be okay then). I think that that would be the best way to look at it.

I know though, that this makes the template very different for different creatures (ie. Dragons would be screwed, but the Tarrasque wouldn't suffer). Should there be two different CR modifiers (one for creatures with spellcasting, and one without)?

Either that or just restrict it so that it can't be applied to creatures that naturally cast spells *shrugs*

And yes, they shouldn't be allowed to lower their Spell Resistance, which, with the above change to Spellcasting Aversion, should make them pretty much dead-magic in and of themselves. That seems to work for me.

And yes, I know the +6 to Hide and Move Silently is a lot, but hey, other than the no-magic thing, that's their shtick.

Thanks guys. What would you pin the CR at now, after these changes? +1? +2? I know it can't be higher than that.

[Edit:]

Oh, what would you think the CR would be if they got the Shadow Blend ability, ala the Shadow Mastif?

Shadow Blend (Su): In any condition of illumination other than full daylight, a shadow mastiff can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability. A daylight spell, however, will.

Last edited:

Greatfrito

First Post
Just wondering if I can get a final guess at the CR modification for this thing, as I'm planning on using it... very soon.

The final version boils down to:

* +4 Dexterity
* +4 Move Silently, and Hide
* Spell Resistance 15 + HD (The Shadowkin cannot willingly lower his spell resistance, and thus is must always be checked, even against beneficial spells)
* Magic Aversion: Cannot cast spells or use spell-like abilities, though supernatural effects are still allowed.
* Shadow Blend (Su): In any condition of illumination other than full daylight, a shadowkin creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability. A daylight spell, however, will.

Is it still a +2 CR? +3? +1 even?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Unintended Consequence: trouble traveling.

"Okay, let's teleport into the castle!"
"Caster level check, please."
"Darn! Looks like we left the Shadowkin behind... again."

Again, I think that simply making him immune to one type of magic that's beneficial -- including Drow-ish Daylight Blindness, or immunity to Conjuration (Healing) effects (as suggested before).

-- N

Kalanyr

Explorer
I don't think its supposed to be a PC race, so teleportation probably isn't an issue. (and its no more trouble than the forsaker okay so thats not a good counter)

Remove ads