• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Term: Ghetto Critical Hit

RefinedBean

First Post
I just in general don't like it when "ghetto" is used in the positive sense much at all. The word makes me think of certain sections of town in the middle ages and certain "camps" during the Holocaust. Never really got into the whole slang reinvention of it.

The song "Ghetto Superstar" must have confused the heck out of you, then.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer

Actually, never even heard that song. :)

I'm fine with just dropping the whole issue, though. I know it's my own personal thing, and it's only partly due to history. A lot of slang terms I just don't like regardless. I'd sooner stab myself than actually use the term "bling" in normal speech, for example.

Agamon

Adventurer
I and my players tend to roll the d20 and damage die at the same time to save time. So what do you call:

1. Rolling max damage, but missing? (Sucks to be you?)

2. Rolling max damage and a crit? (Waste of dice?)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I and my players tend to roll the d20 and damage die at the same time to save time. So what do you call:

Even if you don't roll at the same time, you could get a similar effect. Say you roll a natural 20 and confirm it...only to miss due to miss chance? :) (Some groups do miss chance first, which I guess abates this downer.)

Also...getting a nat 20 on a weapon-like spell like a ray, confirming, then failing to overcome SR. (My group you can actually retry to beat Sr on a confirmed crit, in which case it no longer counts as a crit. Cause that would be really lame.)

Remathilis

Legend
Even if you don't roll at the same time, you could get a similar effect. Say you roll a natural 20 and confirm it...only to miss due to miss chance? :) (Some groups do miss chance first, which I guess abates this downer.)

Also...getting a nat 20 on a weapon-like spell like a ray, confirming, then failing to overcome SR. (My group you can actually retry to beat Sr on a confirmed crit, in which case it no longer counts as a crit. Cause that would be really lame.)

We call any botched confirm a "Yup/Nope" (occasionally replacing Nope with a more frutier term.).

CapnZapp

Legend
I just in general don't like it when "ghetto" is used in the positive sense much at all.
Never really got into the whole slang reinvention of it.
That's because you're not realizing many more people are living in ghettoes now than ever. They can't afford the luxury of associating the term with past misery alone. Blinging up the term is free and makes you feel good, so why not do it? :)

And for the record, no, I'm not just being silly about it. I honestly feel the term can't be reserved only for its historic and/or Jewish origins.

More generally, a specific generation can't claim ownership of language - that always fails!

In a way, you could even compare this with the discussion revolving around trademarks made generic (Jeep, Xerox...)

CapnZapp

Legend
Wasted ghetto crit?!

Even more in need of a term would be the scenario when you roll to hit and damage at the same time, and you roll maximum damage when you crit anyway, thus "wasting" the ghetto crit...

(And yes, I'm using the word "wasting" deliberately... :cool: and I ain't meaning no "steady decline in vitality" here... :p)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever

2. Rolling max damage and a crit? (Waste of dice?)
1. "The dice gods are laughing at you."

2. If it's the same type of die as your extra critical damage, we say "I'm using that."

A follow-up on earlier questions, the player who coined the term "ghetto crit" made it up months ago. He hasn't been to any conventions, game days, bunny ranches, etc., and he doesn't read these boards much. To judge from its use elsewhere, I guess other people invented the term as well. :shrug:

I just in general don't like it when "ghetto" is used in the positive sense much at all. The word makes me think of certain sections of town in the middle ages and certain "camps" during the Holocaust. Never really got into the whole slang reinvention of it.

Ahahahahaha....wow.

I think a little peace of my soul that long ago died has been resurrected.

Thank you RefriedBean...it's refried, right. It is. Thanks.

Remove ads