• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Term: Ghetto Critical Hit

pawsplay

Hero
I don't like the usage of "ghetoo" to mean, "Things that suck." Ghettoes are places real people live, and although life there can be difficult, the people living there and their lives do not suck.

ProfessorPain

First Post
I don't like the usage of "ghetoo" to mean, "Things that suck." Ghettoes are places real people live, and although life there can be difficult, the people living there and their lives do not suck.

I am not usually a fan of Political Correctness, but in this instance I agree with Paws n Play. I didn't start life in the Ghetto, but I have found myself there a number of times, and i have lots of friends who live there. Paws is right, people live in ghettoes. The use of the term feels racist here. There is an implicit sense that people in the ghetto don't matter. Something about the term being used by people from a predominately white hobby to denote "things that suck" bothers me. I know no one intends it to be offensive, so I am not blaming anyone. Just saying this use of the word in this context provokes a negative reaction in me.

to denote "things that suck"

OK, so the idea is that "ghetto" means inferior? That doesn't even make any sense based on the literal definition of the term. Ghettos are sometimes poor, but that isn't what defines them.

Because ghettos are, by definition, ethnic enclaves, it doesn't take a huge leap to see how this could be offensive to any number of people. Hopefully, a moderator will take a look at this and realize this thread needs to go away before it gets out of hand.

wow. ....wow. I never knew D&D players were so temperamental.

I mean I don't want to get my account banned for 3 days because I hurt someone's feelings...I didn't even start this thread, nor did I try to egg it on. ..................but jesus, is this really where we're going? I mean is this honestly how we run things around here? ...Really? Really?

....Really?

PS. I've been poor, it sucks. I could take offense as much as anyone. But, seriously.....this is how we are around here? That little piece of my soul that RefriedBean resurrected is now dead again, and then some.

The use of the term feels racist here. ... There is an implicit sense that people in the ghetto don't matter. ... Just saying this use of the word in this context provokes a negative reaction in me.

Ditto for me. Brooklyn born, but I live in the woods in Washington State now (and I'm white).

pawsplay

Hero
wow. ....wow. I never knew D&D players were so temperamental.

I mean I don't want to get my account banned for 3 days because I hurt someone's feelings...I didn't even start this thread, nor did I try to egg it on. ..................but jesus, is this really where we're going? I mean is this honestly how we run things around here? ...Really? Really?

....Really?

PS. I've been poor, it sucks. I could take offense as much as anyone. But, seriously.....this is how we are around here? That little piece of my soul that RefriedBean resurrected is now dead again, and then some.

AFAIK, the moderators haven't said anything. People have stated their discomfort with the term. Where things go from here depends entirely on the ability of people posting in this thread to be civil and assume good faith.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads