• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New to D&D. Warlock - Sorcerer Multiclass

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
What happens with the warlock spells slot level, will they level up to level 5? Or do they stay at level 2? Will the spellslots increase until they are 4, or will they stay 2 as they were when I did level up the warlock levels?
They will stay as two level 2 slots, unless you take more warlock levels.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Weird. My MC warlock doesn't even *have* eldritch blast! I've been solving all my problems totally wrong this whole time!?

I wouldn't say it's "wrong"... I think it's more that your patron is just holding out on you. You need to go back to him and find out why he's keeping back the good stuff, then renegotiate the deal. Maybe he's waiting for you to impress him first and then he'll give you Eldritch Blast, but you should just demand he give it to you now! ;)

Corwin

Explorer
I wouldn't say it's "wrong"... I think it's more that your patron is just holding out on you. You need to go back to him and find out why he's keeping back the good stuff, then renegotiate the deal. Maybe he's waiting for you to impress him first and then he'll give you Eldritch Blast, but you should just demand he give it to you now! ;)
Actually, I asked him for powers that were useful. Not boring d10s of blastiness. I can already do damage just fine, thankyouverymuch. Besides, you have to waste valuable evocation(s) to make it worth while. And there are way, way better evocations out there.

mellored

Legend
What do you think is the advantages for being a SorLock instead of going singleclass sorcerer? What do you think of the disadvantages?
The advantage is more spells and more cantrips. Overall your more versatile.

The disadvantage is those extra spells are all low level. You don't get any of the high level spells, like mass suggestion, force cage, or wish. Or you get the several levels later.

The biggest thing to consider when multi-classing is any feature that heals for X or deals X damage. 2d10 damage is great for level 1, but it's not worth the action at level 16. This less of a problem with weapon classes since the features (battlemaster dice, sneak attack, rage, flurry of blows) all add together, with the big except of multi-attack. Things like scorching ray will quickly fall to the wayside. Though fortunately, warlock's eldritch blast automatically scales giving you a solid damage no matter what you multi-class with, which is the main reason why it's popular.

However any control spell, modifier to the d20 (advantage, to-hit, skills, AC, saves), and utility stays valuable. Making an enemy miss a turn works just as well for low-level kobolds as it does for high-level dragons. Similarly, advantage adds about 45% to succeed no matter the level. Being able to fly up a cliff is also level indifferent.

Lethol

First Post
Thank you for your help! I am learning more and more about sorlocs in particular and multiclassing in general for each post!

I have two minor questions, one about walock invocations and one about cantrips in particular... What is the restriction when you are casting a cantrip? Do they take up a spellslot, or are they "free" to use once before rest? With only 3 warlock levels, I only have two spellslots. If they are taking up a slot, what is the difference between a cantrip and a spell? If they are not taking up a spellslots, how do they work?

How do invocations work? I guess they are passive abilities that don't have to be cast. let us say that I choose agonizing blast and repelling strike. Do they function by themselves when I use eldritch blast, or do I have to prepare them in any way. If not, can I use both of them at the same time or do I have to choose between them.

Thanks!

Zardnaar

Legend
This build is know as the Sorlock, it was invented back around October 2014 on the WotC boards. It is stupidly effective and you are the best archer in the game. Take hex+agonising blast and take the Sorcerer level 1st (proficiency in con saves).

Sorceror 1, Warlock2, then all the rest as Sorcerer levels. If you want you can sacrifice all your Sorcerer spell slots (keep a few for hex maybe) and quicken Eldritch Blast a lot.

At higher levels you can easily burn through 75+ Sorcery points a day for 8d10+8d6+40 points of damage per round and keep it up for at least 35 rounds of combat per day (expected fights 6-8 encounters of around 3 or 4 rounds each).

Basically you can keep this up all day long and probably cast the odd Sorcerer spell here and there. Take warcaster and spell sniper as your feats, bump charisma to 20. You do not really need warcaster that much either as you are proficient in con saves and can get hex back after a short rest or use a Sorcerer spell slot for it.

In a real game you will be able to quickened EB every encounter in the early levels + cast the odd Sorcerer spell, by the mid levels you can quicken twice per encounter and in the late game its more or less at will. If you get bored spamming Eldritch blasts just start playing as a Sorcerer instead or twin spells like Haste and Greater Invisibility.

Last edited:

Wepwawet

Explorer
I have two minor questions, one about walock invocations and one about cantrips in particular...
Not so minor questions, these are basic features of the class.

What is the restriction when you are casting a cantrip? Do they take up a spellslot, or are they "free" to use once before rest? With only 3 warlock levels, I only have two spellslots. If they are taking up a slot, what is the difference between a cantrip and a spell? If they are not taking up a spellslots, how do they work?
Cantrips don't use spell slots at all. You can cast them whenever and how many times you want. They're "basic" magic tricks you've mastered in your training.

How do invocations work? I guess they are passive abilities that don't have to be cast. let us say that I choose agonizing blast and repelling strike. Do they function by themselves when I use eldritch blast, or do I have to prepare them in any way. If not, can I use both of them at the same time or do I have to choose between them.
Some invocations are permament passive abilities, like the ones you mention. Those are always on, affecting your Eldritch Blast.
There are some other passive invocations that are always on, like the one that gives you darkvision. And there are other invocations that give you a spell or special ability once a day, or once per rest...
Each one tells you how it works in the description.
Youdont prepare invocations either. You have the ones you choose and that's it.

Lethol

First Post
Eldritch Blast is really awesome. I am amazed that such a strong skill is allowed to be a cantrip. To me, it seems like it could be a high level spell! I will try not to be too addicted to it... It seems so important to remember that the Sorcerer are a powerful class in it's own. And, how fun is it for other players, and the DM if I are overusing Eldritch Blast. I will try to use it as a tactical advantage (like a sniper riffle in a fps game).

Remove ads