New to DnD and need advice about Druids

djmginger

First Post
So I've never played DnD before, but I've always been interested in playing. I've listened to some podcasts of people playing, Penny Arcade, Nerd Poker, etc. Most of my group is new too, the DM has only played one game before, and most of the other people are DnD virgins.

We plan on playing 3.5e. For now, since we're mostly new, we've only been given access to the core rules, and whatever non-homebrew stuff we find on the DnD wiki (he's lenient about races though), so alot of my references have been straight from the Players Handbook and d20srd.

I've decided on playing a Wild-elf Druid, I've already come up with a bunch of backstory, and I think I've figured out my first 3 feats, spell focus(conjuration) > augment summoning > natural spell.

HERE'S WHERE I NEED HELP:

I still don't have a very clear idea of what skills I should sink my starting points into. I'm guessing I should put some into concentration, but I'm not sure after that.

I'm also a bit confused as to my spell set. What do druids do best when it comes to spellcasting? Looking at the druid spell list I seem to have just about everything at my fingertips, CC, healing, summoning, damage, buffs, so I'm not sure what my purpose in battle is gonna be, especially before I get Wild Shape.

My last question is about the line in the wild shape description that says I need to be familiar with the animal I'm shifting into. Does that mean I'm restricted to creatures that I encounter during the campaign, or is there some other way I can access wild shape forms?

I greatly appreciate any advice given!

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
I've never played 3.5, but with access to the SRD, I'll do what I can to help you.

I have no clue about skills, so I can't really help you there, but maybe Handle Animal?

The spells seem to generally be for support, with some there for self defence, such as Longstrider allowing you to get aware from attackers.

In regards to Wild Shape, you'll need to talk to your DM. They might rule it as ones you encounter during the campaign, or they might let you have access to animals typically found in wherever you were before the adventure (e.g. if you lived in a forest, then you'd have had experience with bears, squirrels, deer, small birds, etc.)

Remove ads