• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E New to Pathfinder - what to get?

Mercurius

Legend
My tale is told here. In short, I'm switching over from 4E to Pathfinder in a few months and am getting myself acquainted with the game (I'm either going to run Pathfinder or a Pathfinder-enhanced 5E playtest, but that's another story). I've already got some of the basics: the Beginner's Box, Core Rulebook, the Gamemastery Guide, a bunch of Chronicles, and a few first volumes of Adventure Paths. Now I'm looking at the other books - the Bestiaries, the Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate this and that.

What to get? What's really good and just OK? It sounds like Bestiary 1 and 3 are better than 2? Please give me a tour through Pathfinder products! What are your favorites? What don't you like so much?

Thanks!

Donal Graeme

First Post
The only must-have as far as I am concerned is the Advanced Player's Guide. The APG is an incredible book for both DMs and Players, and I can't recommend it enough.

The Ultimate books are nice, as they can provide some good ideas for both players and DMs, but really aren't necessary. If you are new to Pathfinder and/or 3E their inclusion can over-complicate matters.

If you intend to run a fairly standard campaign, then the Bestiary 1 is a good start. Bestiary 2 and 3 have a lot of niche monsters which are more useful in different campaign settings, IE outside general myth and euro-centric fantasy. Unless you want to go that route, stick with the Bestiary 1.

Most of the other books are tools for GMs who don't want to run Adventure Path specific campaigns, but instead run their own campaign on Golarian, Paizo's campaign setting/world. If you are running a homebrew or an AP, they aren't really needed IMO. Now if there is something in particular that you want to run, please mention it, as the right product to help you might be out there. Otherwise, I think that covers most of it.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The APG is where I first started liking Pathfinder as more than just a replacement for D&D. I fell in love with archetypes. Witch has become my default spellcasting class for NPCs in at least two settings.

The Ultimate books only continue changes that began in the APG - worthwhile, but not groundbreaking.

The Auld Grump

Zarthon

Explorer
I would suggest the APG and what ever bestiarys you can get.

I'm a huge fan of monsters and I find by having lots of reference material it is way easier to make your own monsters or just tweak the existing monsters.

Game on.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Saying that the APG is mandatory is an understatement. It's the Pathfinder equivalent to Unearthed Arcana and-- aside from Unearthed Arcana itself-- it's hands down the best supplement for d20 D&D.

Pick up the Bestiary. If you like psionics, Dreamscarred Press' Psionics Unleashed gives it the full Pathfinder treatment.

Beyond that, I wouldn't buy anything else unless your group decides Pathfinder is going to be their primary game-- then Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat are basically the equivalent of WotC's Complete series. While occasionally (and legitimately) derided as hit-or-miss, those two books provide an abundance of good material. If you like the Golarion setting, the Inner Sea World Guide is about as good as campaign setting books get.

Mercurius

Legend
Oh yeah, I do have the Inner Sea World Guide as well. I don't plan on using Golarion but am a bit of a setting junky and enjoy reading about it (thus the Chronicles stuff).

What I didn't include in the OP is that I am budgeting for one or two books right now and then might pick up more later if I commit myself to running it for an extended period.

After reading the replies, I'm going to pick up the first Bestiary and the Advanced Player's Guide. If all goes well, I'll pick up Bestiary 3 and then Bestiary 2.

Thanks again for the replies - XP all around!

IronWolf

blank
You've definitely received good advice already. The APG would be on my must buy list. Having at least the first Bestiary is a good start as well.

Enjoy Pathfinder!

SnowleopardVK

First Post
After reading the replies, I'm going to pick up the first Bestiary and the Advanced Player's Guide. If all goes well, I'll pick up Bestiary 3 and then Bestiary 2.

Thanks again for the replies - XP all around!

I'd agree with that order of Bestiaries. I've actually been getting more use out of 3 than 1 lately, but I can't deny that the 1st one has the most classics. 2 is probably the least useful, but there are still lots of neat options in there. I'm especially a fan of a lot of the monster as PC races in Bestiary 2. They can be used for interesting but still easy to build enemies.

And of course the APG is wonderful. But I think others in this thread have already commented on its worth enough, and I don't really need to add anything more about that.

Dark Mistress

First Post
Beyond those listed you have. I will echo others and say the APG is the next book after the core book one should get.

I would also pick up Inner Sea Magic book as the next book after the APG. Or after Best 1 depending how comfortable you are running with out a monster book handy.

Next i would say Best 1 and then the other two. Which one to get next depends on what you like.

The Ultimate books are pretty good, but i don't consider must haves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads