• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New to the scene

pawsplay

Hero
I'd try a group finder. ENWorld might be a good place to start, but there sites like penandpapergames.com that are dedicated to it.

Wik

First Post
Hm. Online D&D?

Well, there are play by posts (PbP) that are hosted on this site, but they're very slow-going. On the plus side, they're very forgiving on new players - many times, the GM can handle most of the rules side of things.

Play by chat is also fun, though I don't know of any sites that are dedicated to it. wotc is putting forward an online gaming table in a few months on their D&D Insider site which should be worth checking out - apparently, it'll even have a chat feature, so the table banter can remain.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Bummer about that, Elementgreen. I'd suggest playing in a local game regardless what system is used. Most games use very similar concepts for most things, only the exact dice rolled differs. You'd definitely get an idea of how things work that way. Plus you might have a bit of fun on the way. Which is what it's all about after all.

I've never played on on-line game so I can't say much about how they work. But basically things are run either by sending emails or by using live messengering.

good luck with it. No gamer likes being without a game.

Elementgreen

First Post
Hm. Online D&D?

Well, there are play by posts (PbP) that are hosted on this site, but they're very slow-going. On the plus side, they're very forgiving on new players - many times, the GM can handle most of the rules side of things.

Play by chat is also fun, though I don't know of any sites that are dedicated to it. wotc is putting forward an online gaming table in a few months on their D&D Insider site which should be worth checking out - apparently, it'll even have a chat feature, so the table banter can remain.

Haha my bad, I meant PbP. I just posted a character sheet on the Character thread (it was a pain just to do that >.>)

LightPhoenix

First Post
Don't listen to Trouvere, he's... well, suffice to say I disagree so strongly with his post that anything I say will inevitably be a personal attack at this point.

He does introduce a point though - always make sure you're with a group you're comfortable with, either in person, play by post, or whatever you find whenever you find it. You will find that you won't be a good match for every group, or they won't be a good match for you. This is normal, and to be expected. If for some reason you're not having fun, try finding another group (or in this case, PbP). No one poster is characteristic of the hobby as whole... there are many different ways to play.

A while back there was a post/essay on play styles by... I want to say Monte Cook, but I don't know if that's who wrote it. It did a good job characterizing how people play D&D; whether it's about the story, or the tactics, or the character building, or what not. Maybe someone can jump in and provide a reference for it, it's a good background on how the game is played.

Wik

First Post
I know one way to have them go faster.Guess who doesn't get forgiven so easily. :mad: :p

Sorry, trouvere. But you're talking to a guy who FINALLY got back to a computer after three months or so. And there's no guarantee I can stay on my comp regularly for any length of time (working 7 days a week right now!).

See, it can be hard for some players (namely, myself) to keep in the game when real life intrudes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads