New troglodytes

delericho

Legend
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Am I the only one who's never used a trog outside the long-ago D series?

"The Forge of Fury" features Troglodytes.

Smelly lizardmen just seem like a waste of space, or a sub-entry under regular lizardmen.

We don't need both Lizardfolk and Troglodytes, and more than we need Orcs and Goblins and Hobgoblins and Kobolds and Bugbears and Ogres. However, if the culture is sufficiently different, there is an argument for keeping the monster entries distinct, so as to make DMs more clearly aware of the differences, in the hope that they will be used differently.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Ugh. I was hoping that concept art for the Trog from earlier was just one artist's wonky interpretation of them, and not the standard. These things just look horrible.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Whizbang: I have used trogs and lizardmen (and had a player not too long ago ask me what the difference was). But remember, they have company: Dragonborn.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I call that cultural differences, myself, or a cultural difference with the "stinky" quality attached, whether it be by a 3E template or 4E special ability or something.
Trogs are to Lizardmen what Grimlocks are to humans. That's more than a cultural difference.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
While I like previous Trog art better, the new art makes a little more sense. As Simia noted, they look like burrowers. I don't like the relative smooth salamander-ish skin however. Trogs should be rough and stonelike. These trogs look more like mini slaadi.

Irda Ranger

First Post
TerraDave said:
Whizbang: I have used trogs and lizardmen (and had a player not too long ago ask me what the difference was). But remember, they have company: Dragonborn.
I think Trogs will still have a place in a world with Dragonborn, but having both lizardmen and dragonborn seems questionable to me. We don't have the statblocks yet, obviously, but from here it looks like a "cultural difference" (to use Whizbang's term) between those two races ...

Nebulous

Legend
grimslade said:
While I like previous Trog art better, the new art makes a little more sense. As Simia noted, they look like burrowers. I don't like the relative smooth salamander-ish skin however. Trogs should be rough and stonelike. These trogs look more like mini slaadi.

3e slaadi. I expect that 4e slaadi will be very different.

Remove ads