• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Use for Diplomacy - Divine Intervention

Old_Skool

Explorer
If prayer is intercession with a higher being on the behalf of one’s self or another person, it makes sense to me that a character with enough ranks in Diplomacy (and possibly the corresponding alignment, rituals, and temple membership) would be able to convince the gods themselves to help them in times of trouble.

The mechanics of this DC would be identical to that of the Diplomacy skill to influence NPCs: the character spends a full minute praying to his deity (or any deity, in a polytheistic pantheon) and asks for help. If the alignment of the character matches the alignment of the deity, and the character is in good standing with the deity’s goals and ideals, then the deity’s initial attitude towards the character is “Friendly.” If the character’s alignment is the polar opposite of the deity’s, or if the character has not properly atoned for any misdeeds against this particular deity, then the deity’s initial attitude is “Unfriendly.” Otherwise, the deity’s initial attitude is “Indifferent.”

The character makes a Diplomacy check as if influencing an NPC. If the character is able to improve that particular deity’s attitude to “Helpful,” and if the request is in accordance with the deity’s own goals and ideals, the deity will offer the character assistance of some sort. The nature of these “answered prayers” varies greatly between different gods, and most of them involve some sort of sacrifice on behalf of the character asking for help (the completion of a quest, a large donation of time or money to a particular temple, etc.).

Synergy: A character with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion) gains a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks made to ask for divine assistance.

What do you think? Broken?

Land Outcast

Explorer
What do you think? Broken?
Not at all, being the nature of the help and the nature of the requested "payment" on the DM's hands (and it happening ONLY if it is within the power's area of interest, and ONLY when the attitude is shifted towards helpful), I consider it an excelent mechanic

Starglim

Explorer
A deity has multiple epic levels and Wisdom beyond mortal understanding. If there ever was an example of a creature that shouldn't be swayed by Diplomacy, this is it.

It might be OK, though, to use the same mechanic and chart, but make the check d20 + WIS bonus + ranks in Knowledge (religion). Clerics will make this check easily, though not routinely, but anyone who's reasonably pious and Friendly with the deity has some chance.

I don't know that even being in good standing with a deity is important: to invoke Odin when dying a glorious death, slaying many of your foes, is more likely to gain a favorable response than a life of dedication. Other deities might intervene solely on the basis of whether it favors their agenda: they use a mortal as a pawn to make themselves known in the world.

Perform (sing) and (oratory) have been known to sway deities before.

I think you'd have to stat each deity separately. For example, maybe Odin is receptive to an Intimidate check - that's not to say that Odin is Intimidated per se - more that mode of appeal is most conducive to Odin's good favors. Apollo to a Perform check.

Or just use d20 + # of ranks to eliminate buffs and weird class bonuses.

Maybe divine intervention should always carry an XP debt equal to a miracle - 5000XP. Maybe these XP can be reearned twice as fast in pursuit of the goals of a deity who intervened on your behalf. Dunno.

Yair

Community Supporter
I really like the idea of "talking" to the deities, making them very personal. I think this kind of system is not really workable with standard D&D magic, as it essentially means unlimited spellcasting per day. But it can actually serve very well within a skill-based magic system. Influencing the deity with Perform, Intimidate, and Diplomacy checks seems most appropriate; Knowledge (religion) would fit better for ritualistic-spellcasting (i.e. round-scale spellcasting).

I really like the idea of making the gods NPCs, subject to interaction via skills like any other NPC. Fits very well into the default D&D polytheistic pantheon, Greek mythology, and so on.

Yair

Community Supporter
Land Outcast said:
Even if my highest priest was the one requesting favors, at the third time in the same day he prays for them, he'd find a lighting response.
Oh? As the god of healing, you would smite down your high priest for daring to ask that you heal the third sick in your infinite power, as you mercifully did twice today? As the god of divination, you would strike down the impudent fool who beseeches you for yet more wisdom? As the goddess of love, you would strike down the bard that weaves song after soul-uplifting love song in your glory?

Making interaction with gods follow interaction with NPCs is a good idea. Making the gods fickle and skimpy in granting powers only works under very limited circumstances, and like all role-playing related fluff is not a good balance for a game mechanics.

Remove ads