• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New User, 4.e and God questions.

Evray

First Post
Hi, I'm new to the site so forgive me if I blunder and happen to make some sort of socially unacceptable mistake.

Anyways, I started playing DnD when my brother introduced me. He played with his friends a bit but they only got into about one campaign and never played again. My brother got me into it but really just introduced me, I never learned anything except what it was, I began reading the books myself but barely payed attention. I started playing with two friends (Me as DM) with no real rules at all, we basically rolled dice and I just made it up if they did something or not. It went well and we had fun but slowly over time as more people from our social group came into the game, we began to actually start reading the rules, seeing what our modifiers were for, what reflex and will etc was.

Finally once our majority of current players were in, we played with 3.e and 3.5 books that I had.

We got 4.e, I studied them and taught the players and now we are playing a vigorous campaign in 4.e

Now that you have my un-important background we can get around to my question at hand.

First off, I recently dealt with the power of a ranger's blade cascade, a clearly broken game daily power I've read that many people are aware of. I am not one to go against the books even IF they clearly are broken. The players happen to have an artificer, whom can buff the ranger strong enough he can deal anywhere from 300-1300 damage on one blade cascade. In fact he rarely does less than 500, everyone becomes disappointed when he does. He also has two items that refresh daily abilities, which he uses on his blade cascade. Now maybe because I've never really opened up to the DnD community I am new to this, but a player who can instantly kill a boss such as an ancient dragon or orcus is clearly over-powered, especially when these creatures have no immediate interrupts to dodge it. One easily beefed blade cascade, adding in criticals, modifiers, little extra d6 dice here and there, makes a nearly ungodly attack even against... well gods. I've discovered that lowering the strength of the main boss and increasing the amount of enemies in an encounter has quelled his power because he can only one shot certain enemies and if many enemies are worthy opponents it makes it difficult.

What is some advice as to helping out to keep the game still fun, and to not completely destroy the ego of the ranger player, yet fix this broken mechanic in a subtle way as to not invoke the wrath and anger of players who may feel like they are being cheated? No my players are not angry evil monsters, but its just the idea that I do not want them to feel like I am attempting to destroy there power.

My second question is, I have the Draconic books, inside are detailed monsters such as Tiamat and Bahamut (both dragon gods) I am wondering if anyone like Bane or any of the other Gods have actual detailed pieces like this, such as aspects, a monster sheet, and ways to kill/defeat the opponent, tactics etc.?

I am looking to make a few different Gods part of the campaign and want them to be physically present as enemies but do not want to build my own monster sheet for them, but still want one. Does any book have them?

Sorry if this was a long bit, thank you for all help and any information or solutions.

Mesh Hong

First Post
Welcome aboard, Are you using the errata'd rules for blade cascade?

Blade Cascade
Ranger Attack 15

Time seems to slow down as your weapons fall upon your hapless
foes like rain from an ominous sky.​
Daily​
Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
weapon​
Requirement:​
You must be wielding two melee weapons.​
Targets:​
One or more creatures​
Attack:​
Strength vs. AC. Alternate main and off-hand
weapon attacks until you miss or until you make five
attacks. As soon as an attack misses, this power ends.​
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage per attack.

FireLance

Legend
WotC has issued errata for blade cascade and other game elements that have been found to be too powerful or otherwise not working too well. A link to the latest update document is: here.

As for gods, I think Vecna has been detailed in Open Grave and Torog in Underdark.

Cormacolinde

First Post
WotC have published erratas, official corrections to the books and rules that fix a number of glaring issues with certain powers, feats, etc. These can be found on the Wizards web site:

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Official D&D Updates)

Look in the rules update archives for the whole thing. Blade Cascade, among others, has been changed by these corrections, here is the text:

"Page 109: On the Attack line, replace the second sentence with “Alternate main and off-hand weapon attacks until you miss or until you make five attacks.”"

Which limits the damage output of the ability significantly. Obviously those rule corrections are entirely optional in your home game, but those corrections are made in the interest of game balance in order to help everyone enjoy the game.

Another correction which would interest you is how they changed salves of power to apply to encounter instead of daily powers.

If I can suggest something, an easy way to keep up with those changes is to subscribe to DnD Insider and use the Character Builder to make and print character sheets, thus always having the up-to-date information available.

firesnakearies

Explorer
Welcome to EN World, Evray!

Don't worry too much about making any "social mistakes". This is a very friendly and helpful community. I think you'll be amazed at how great these forums are.

You're right that Blade Cascade is definitely broken. In fact, it was one of the first powers errated for 4th edition. Since then, there have been many updates issued to the rules by Wizards of the Coast, fixing typos and altering poorly designed bits of the rules to make the game more balanced.

These rules updates/errata are available from the D&D website, free of charge. Here's where you can get them: Official D&D Updates Archive

Besides Bahamut and Tiamat, at least a couple of other actual 4th edition deities have been fully statted out thus far. The stats for Vecna appear in Open Grave, the 4E undead book, and the stats for Torog appear in the new Underdark book. Stats for Lolth will appear in the upcoming Monster Manual 3.

Best of luck!

As it was said already, check the latest updates. Many formerly broken items/powers/feats/etc. were "fixed".

There shouldn't be a way anymore to recharge a lvl15 daily except for some EDs. Veteran's Armor (AV) has lost that ability to point out one lost option.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
While Bane doesn't have stats (they say he's at the powerful end of gods thus safe from PCs) there is a Dragon Magazine article on DDI. I heartily recommend you check out the DDI resources as they have some true gems in there.

Gruns

Explorer
As many have already pointed out, I'd guess this is the original, un-erratted Blade Cascade. And while D&D Insider (DDI) was briefly mentioned, I figure I'll add the usual bit about if you plan on DMing, it is very much worthwhile to download Character Builder, pay the $9.95 for one month, get the updates and cancel. Renew every so often for the latest updates if you so desire. (Or do what I did and simple just don't cancel as intended...!)
Later!
Gruns

Yeah, DDI is worth the 6 or 7 bucks a month a yearly subscription costs. The Compendium has EVERYTHING that has appeared in any book as far as rules elements goes and they are always up to date with the latest errata. CB is way handy as well, and also always (pretty much) up to date. There is also a monster builder and an encounter builder which can be pretty handy for DMs.

I'm pretty sure aspects of some additional gods have also appeared in Dragon. I don't recall exactly which ones, but some that don't have actual full up god stats do have stats for an aspect. There are also stats for a number of other epic level god-like beings such as certain demon lords, a couple of arch devils, etc. You may also want to search around on the net for that sort of stuff, there are a lot of pretty good home brewed stat blocks for these kinds of things.

Evray

First Post
Thank You

Thank you for all the help. I'll introduce this to the guys tonight and see how they re-act.

I dont necessarily want the Templates for the Gods so the Players can fight them. But because I want to know an idea of the depth of these God's powers, to help give me a bit more understanding of the God's themselves in terms of battle.

If any of the gods need to be killed for whatever story reason, how do I go about killing any of them? I'm aware of all the possible outcomes of killing a God of course, but is there any regular rule? I know that if you can stop a God from discorporating you can kill it outright, but it only details how to stop discorporation in the currently detailed Gods that have templates.

Remove ads