• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New uses for Concentration

drexes

First Post
Inspired by Land Outcast's post under a different thread, I came up with this, a small sample list of uses for concentration other than for magic. I liked his idea alot but he and I were of different minds on system. So without further ado, here are some sample uses for concentration other than the standard uses given in the SRD.

Overcome Cover
With a DC 20 concentration check a character may reduce the benefits of cover from an opponent's AC. The character must use a full attack action to make a single attack. If the skill check is successful the opponent's bonus to AC from cover is reduced by two. If the check fails the character may still make his single attack but with no adjustment to the opponent's AC. This skill application may be used against all levels of cover except total cover.

Overcome Concealment
With a DC 25 concentration check a character may reduce the miss chance for attacking an opponent in concealment. The character must use a full attack action to make a single attack. If the skill check is successful the miss chance from concealment is reduced by half. If the check fails the character may still make his single attack but with no adjustment to the the miss chance.

Overcome Fear
With a successful concentration check a character takes control of his emotions, reducing his level of fear by one step. Overcoming fear requires a move equivalent action with a skill check with dc dependant on the level of fear the character currently suffers from as shown below. Only one level of fear may be reduced in a given round regardless of the results of the concentration check.
Shaken: DC 15
Frightened: DC 20
Panicked: DC 25

Overcome Sickness
With a successful concentration check a character may overcome a degree of sickness, reducing his status from nauseated to sickened. This skill application requires a move equivalent action and a DC 20 skill check.

Overcome Stunning
With a successful concentration check, DC 20, a character may overcome a degree of stunning, reducing his status from stunned to dazed. This skill application requires no action, but must be done when the character would normally recieve a turn.

Overcome Exhaustion
With a successful concentration check, DC 30, a character may overcome a degree of exhaustion, reducing his status from exhausted to fatigued. This skill application requires a move equivalent action. Only one such check may be made and if failed no retry is allowed. The character must recover from his exhaustion with rest. If the character rests sufficiently to become fatigued and then re-exerts himslef to the point of exhaustion the character can then make a check to reduce this status.

Focus
With a DC 15 concentration check a character can focus his efforts solely on the task at hand increasing his chance of success. The character adds a +4 circumstance bonus to a given skill check. The character is considered flat-footed while maintaining this focus and takes a penalty to his spot and listen of -5. This skill application cannot be used for prolonged tasks, such as craft checks, because the level of focus is too hard to maintain.

Let me know what you guys think and give me any suggestions you have for other uses. Land Outcast, I hope you don't consider this stealing...

Drexes

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I was just thinking about some new uses last night.

Sentry
On a successful DC 20 concentration check, you can focus your attention and ignore distractions. You gain a +5 to spot and listen checks, but you can do no other actions but keep watch. This mental state is draining, and fatigues a person if maintained for longer than 4 hours.

Failure: No penalty for failure
Retry: Can retry every 4 hours

Focused Combat
You can make a DC 15 concentration check as a free action on your turn whenever you are flanked. On a success, you reduce the flanking bonus for one opponet by 1. For every +2 over 15, you reduce the bonus for one additional opponent. With a DC of 40, you can completely negate the bonus from flanking for one opponent, you are no longer flanked by that opponent. The reduction in bonuses lasts 1 round.
Retry: Can retry once per round.

Mind over Matter
You can will your body to perform feats that are beyond its normal capabilities. A concentration check DC 15 as a free action allows you to gain a +1 to a strength or constitution check. After the check is complete, you suffer 2 points of temporary ability damage to your strength or con score (whichever was affected). You may increase the DC by 2, for every 2 you increase the DC you may add another +1 to the check (maximum total bonus is +4).

Failure: On a failure, you do not recieve the bonus but you still suffer the temporary damage.

drexes

First Post
Nice thoughts Stalker0, I like those, though I would make focused comabt a move equivalent action and not give a retry. The only other thing I am concerned with is that there needs to be a limit to the number of effects possible so the concentration doesn't overshadow other skills. When we have a bunch of suggestions we should try to make a weeded down list in order to give a nod to skill balance.

Drexes

Remove ads