• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New wealth related feats and occupation

JoelF

First Post
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Occupations

Street Person
Street People include beggars, bums, panhandlers, minor con men, and those unfortunate enough to fall through the cracks of society without a safety net.
Prerequisite: Age 12+
Skills: Choose three of the following skills as permanent class skills. If a skill is already a class skill, you receive a +1 competence bonus on checks using that skill.
Bluff, Escape Artist, Gamble, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (Streetwise), Listen, Move Silently, Slight of Hand, Spot.
Bonus Feat: Select one of the following: Alertness, Deceptive, Low Profile, Nimble, Run, or Stealthy.
Wealth Bonus Increase: -2
Special: The wealth decrease cannot make a character’s starting wealth be below zero. In addition, when making a Profession check to increase your wealth bonus after gaining a level, apply a –1 penalty.

Feats

Frugal
You are very careful with your money and skilled at finding the best deal possible. You save money better than most people.
Prerequisite: Wisdom 13+
Benefit: When making a purchase with a purchase DC greater than your wealth bonus, you reduce the wealth bonus decrease by one if you take 20 on your check. This still takes 20 times longer than normal for a purchase.
Also, you may save for a specific item that is 11 or more points higher than your current wealth bonus. To do so, you must save for a number of weeks of game time equal to its purchase DC. After that time, you can purchase the item as if its purchase DC was 10 lower than normal. During the entire time you are saving for the item, your wealth bonus cannot decrease. If it does, your saving efforts are wasted and you must begin again. If your wealth bonus increases while saving, this has no effect on your efforts to save. If you take this feat during character creation, you can use the saving ability it grants for one item per character level.
Normal: Purchasing expensive items reduces your wealth bonus as presented on p. 91 of the D20 Modern rulebook.

Financial Guru
You are skilled at investing your money.
Prerequisite: Intelligence 15+, wealth bonus 18+
Benefit: When purchasing items with a purchase DC of 15 or higher, do not reduce your wealth bonus by 1.
When making a Profession check to increase your wealth bonus after gaining a level, apply a +1 bonus.
Normal: Purchasing items with a purchase DC of 15 or higher reduces your wealth bonus by 1.

Last edited:

Moonsword

First Post
Okay, let's hit these in order.

First: the occupation. Most players are not going to take that, IMO only. I could be wrong. Please keep reading, this is _not_ a flame. No offense, but I wouldn't, as a player . As a GM, however, this is extremely useful. This occupation allows GMs more flexibility in creating characters than in the core rules. I view that more as something to stick in my box of tricks than to use as a player, but still... Nice work. Kudos, and I will probably use it when I run campaigns. It's also very well balanced, in case a player does happen to take it. Windfall could be a problem though. I doubt it, but it is a possibility to consider.

Next, Frugal. Well balanced, and quite functional. Pretty innovative, as well. I might not use it (though I very well could, depends on my PC), but a lot of people probably would in this case. It's just not my cup of tea, and I would use it for certain NPCs. It is useful, and can help flesh out characters of any sort, player or otherwise.

Last but not least, Financial Guru. This is the only potentially unbalanced one of the group. Something that does happen in D&D is that when a character no longer meets the prerequisite for a feat, they can no longer use it. I believe that is also true in d20 Modern. If it isn't, this is not as large a concern. You might want to change thje feat to read that this applies even if the character's wealth bonus drops below 18, but include a bottow, say 9 or so. At that or below, they have to start taking money out of their portfolio and stocks to help pay expenses, so it becomes a concern, and the character no longer has enough money to play the sort of games he can otherwise. A needed feat, however, and again useful in fleshing out NPCs, especially the 'rocket scientists' of Wall Street.

All around, I give you a high A for both effort and product. Good work :) !

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
These really are quite clever - the Street Person occupation is extremely useful, especially for NPCs. I agree with Moonsword's advice on Financial Guru. Actually, I would remove the +18 Wealth bonus requirement altogether and replace it with some number of ranks in Profession. This would model the ability to "start (again) from nothing and build an empire" that those Wall Street Wiz Kids seem to have, at least in the movies.

Nice work :)

Last edited:

Remove ads