• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New weapon

Felix

Explorer
For non-gnomes it is likely better just to pick up Rapid Reload and use a light crossbow since EWP would be necessary and you wouldn't have to bother with drums or clips...

So I guess my question is, is this weapon a flavor thing for your tinkering gnomes? If so, yeah... very cool. Power wise, it gives the advantage to your Gnome NPCs. Specially if these things are modified to Heavy Gnomish Repeaters, require a stand (much like a 60 cal), and voila! You've got defenses for your gnomish villages and cave complexes.

OfRiceAndHen

First Post
I'd figure 10lbs including an empty drum, but add 1 lb for 10 bolts. Also, might make the drum itself 1-2 lbs. Not too sure of the balance (hence posting it here for review).

And yes, I really just made it for the coolness factor :) You could probably upgrade it for larger peoples (i based this model off the small repeating crossbow from the PHB).

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
If your gnomes are really tinkerers, have them produce *drumroll*
Repeating Ballistae

Attacking every round! 3d8 per hit! 6d8 on a Crit! Make Chuck Norris a gnome and you're in business! Har har.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Hey OfRiceAndHen, I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but you only "thought" you thought of it. One page 43 of the 1st Edition Oriental Adventures:

Chu-ko-nu

"The chu-ko-nu is a repeating light crossbow, capable of firing several bolts before needing reloading. Mounted on the top is a magazine that can hold up to 10 quarrels. The cocking and reloading action is worked by a single lever, pushed forward and then pulled back. This allows a faster rate of fire than nomal. Up to two quarrels can be reloaded in the magazine per round. Thus, five rounds are required to completely reload the chu-ku-no. A character cannot fire and reload in the same round. It is heavier than a normal crossbow and has a poorer range."

The stats are as follows:

Fire rate=2, Range:S=5, M=10, L=15

AC adjustments, 0=-4, 1=-3, 2=-3, 3=-2, 4=-1, 5=0, 6=0, 7=+1, 8=+2, 9=+2, 10=+3

Oops! It just occurred to me that those AC rules are no longer in use. I'm afraid I don't have the conversions.

Cost is 3 "chi'en", or about 15 G.P.

There's also a nifty little picture of the thing, but I lack the means of posting it.

The book was written primarily by Gygax, so it's either his creation or something that he actually researched from the Asian culture.

If it makes you feel any better, in 1975/6 I was playing with a bunch of modeling clay, wind-up robots, and plastic space dudes all at once and decided my pretend sci-fi adventures needed a name. I chose to call my scenarios "Star Wars". My kingdom for a copywrite!

Nik_the_Pig

First Post
OfRiceAndHen said:
Well, considering I wasn't born til 1983 and have only played 3e games, I don't think I'll get into too much trouble :)

It scares me that people like you are adults now, I truely don't feel that old :)

Remove ads