New Witcher - Blood Origins - Spoilers allowed

Hussar

Legend
Just binged this. Ok, that was a TON of fun. Good action, fun story, decent plot. Gorgeous shots.

For all the complaining about Caville not being the Witcher next season, and all the back and forth about ignoring the source material, well, if this is what ignoring the source material gets me, then, well, I have zero problems binning the source material. That was a ton of fun. Actually wouldn't have minded it being a couple more episodes long, to be honest. And that's a rarity for me.

What did folks think?

I heard it’s awful. Destroys source material, special effects are bad and people feel bad for yeoh . At first I thought it was just angry fans but most online magazines aren’t that high on it as well

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I liked it, suprised that got Yeoh to sign up, so good for them they got her.
It was a fun romp that established some lore, got a fun use of a mad dwarf and could work as a fantasy module.
I can see where some old fans might be miffed but for most of us its a nice addition to the fantasy genre and on par with the first season.

Hussar

Legend
I despair of genre fandom. No matter what it is, it must be crap.

I’ve pretty much completely given up reading or watching anything produced by fandom. I’ve grown rather tired of being endlessly told that stuff I enjoyed is crap over and over and over again.

Dire Bare

Legend
I despair of genre fandom. No matter what it is, it must be crap.

I’ve pretty much completely given up reading or watching anything produced by fandom. I’ve grown rather tired of being endlessly told that stuff I enjoyed is crap over and over and over again.
Truth.

I had picked up a lot of negative chatter about Blood Origins . . . . and I rather enjoyed it! It wasn't perfect, but good acting, fine story, decent action and effects. It was an enjoyable weekend!

A lot of the negative chatter I've heard focuses on how the story differs from the source material, both "The Witcher" and "Blood Origins" and . . . I don't care. Never has there been an adaptation of a novel, comic, or video game that was fully matching the source material details.

Maybe if I was already a fan of The Witcher novels and/or games, I'd feel differently . . . but I don't think so. When I go to see a movie or TV show adapting one of my favorite properties, I expect it to be different. If the differences are enough to ruin the enjoyment for me, that's happened, but I don't go on a crusade to convince the rest of the world it's crap and an abomination . . . .

Hussar

Legend
There was a time when I might have banged the drum about movies/TV differing from the book, but, generally speaking, I only did that when I honestly didn't enjoy the movie version or thought the book was just a lot better. But, that's really died out for me. Mostly because, sure, if I didn't like some movie, I'd just say, "Hey, I didn't like that movie. The book was so much better."

What I don't get is why everyone and their mother seems to feel the need to validate their opinion by repeating it endlessly. Ok, I get it, you didn't like X. Please, please, stop telling me that you didn't like X. You may very well be the ten thousandth person who has felt the need to tell me that X sucks. I mean, I didn't really care for the Willow Disney show. I watched the first one, I might watch the others if I have a slow day, but, it wasn't for me. But, what I don't do is jump online in every freaking conversation and bang the drum.

I just don't get it I guess. I talk about stuff I like. I generally don't talk about stuff I don't like. I don't like it, why would I talk about it? And listening to people hate-watch stuff is just beyond my ability to understand. If you didn't like the first two episodes as in, you REALLY didn't like them, why on earth would you keep watching? Pick a genre show and you'll see people who hate watch. I've got a friend who hate-watched the Rings of Power and then felt compelled to tell me everything he thought was wrong with the show. :erm:

Why does anyone thing that other people give the slightest rat's petoot about the stuff you don't like?

((Note, the "you" in this rant is not directed at any specific person))

There was a time when I might have banged the drum about movies/TV differing from the book, but, generally speaking, I only did that when I honestly didn't enjoy the movie version or thought the book was just a lot better. But, that's really died out for me. Mostly because, sure, if I didn't like some movie, I'd just say, "Hey, I didn't like that movie. The book was so much better."

What I don't get is why everyone and their mother seems to feel the need to validate their opinion by repeating it endlessly. Ok, I get it, you didn't like X. Please, please, stop telling me that you didn't like X. You may very well be the ten thousandth person who has felt the need to tell me that X sucks. I mean, I didn't really care for the Willow Disney show. I watched the first one, I might watch the others if I have a slow day, but, it wasn't for me. But, what I don't do is jump online in every freaking conversation and bang the drum.

I just don't get it I guess. I talk about stuff I like. I generally don't talk about stuff I don't like. I don't like it, why would I talk about it? And listening to people hate-watch stuff is just beyond my ability to understand. If you didn't like the first two episodes as in, you REALLY didn't like them, why on earth would you keep watching? Pick a genre show and you'll see people who hate watch. I've got a friend who hate-watched the Rings of Power and then felt compelled to tell me everything he thought was wrong with the show. :erm:

Why does anyone thing that other people give the slightest rat's petoot about the stuff you don't like?

((Note, the "you" in this rant is not directed at any specific person))
We should mark these threads as fans only threads then!

Dire Bare

Legend
We should mark these threads as fans only threads then!
Why should we need to?

If you didn't like "Blood Origins", that's okay. It really is. But why jump into a thread on the topic, just express your negativity? Why the need to be so toxic and negative?

Hussar isn't complaining about folks who didn't like the show. He isn't complaining about folks with more nuanced views, who have things they liked and didn't about the show. He's complaining about folks who just pop in to threadcrap, to remind everyone how terrible something is and you must be damaged in some way if you liked it.

Sadly, that's a part of fandom. Dealing with toxic and negative fans. That's why we have the "+" threads on these forums. We actually can mark threads, not "just for fans", but "just for positive conversation". Which can include debating the merits of a thing, without crapping all over it and those who like it.

You might guess . . . . I'm with @Hussar on this one. So tired of the toxic negativity in fandom these days.

I think that’s the fandom for a lot of things today

Me personally I expect more for a product I’m paying for. I’m not going to get into the negatives of this show as I probably will skip . If enough complain then maybe good enough will be fantastic

My opinion. Say you went to a sports event and had fun (good for you). However the team is in last place and they just lost . I come into the thread and say or in person and say hey that team stinks because of xyz. That isn’t toxic anything. That’s reality or maybe I’m just old

Remove ads