• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Wizard Summoning Spells!

kerbarian

Explorer
What I'm not clear on is: If a summoned creature follows its Intrinsic Nature, does the DM follow the Intrinsic Nature instructions, or does the player? Thematically, I'd say the DM should, because the summoned demons are supposed to be hostile to the caster and twist the letter of their servitude to hurt the wizard if possible. However, in general players get to make any choices related to their powers. What in the rules text would make this any different?
FWIW, I asked customer service about this and was told that the summoner follows the intrinsic nature directions and makes any allowed decisions, not the DM.

LostSoul

Adventurer
This is an awesome article.

Where are the rules for summoning? I tried looking them up in the compendium but it didn't say much.

How long does the summoning last? Can you give the summoned creature any command, or just the one listed in the power? Let's say you're in the "Talk to the Duke" skill challenge - could you summon a succubus and have her make Diplomacy checks for you? If you fail an Arcana check, could you summon an Imp and have him make the check for you? "I don't know much about the Black Tower of Vumerion, but maybe this guy does."

I don't have my books with me, but I recall that they focus on the combat related aspects of summoning and not the 'out of the box' thinking.
Which I think is kinda sad.

Summons are like any other power, limited to the 'end of the encounter' rule of 5 minutes outside of combat.

While I wouldn't allow the succubi to make the actual diplomancy check for you, summoning her to act as your 'voice' could net you some strong modifiers to the skill check... depending on how you do it of course. Calling her up in her natural form in the middle of the court-room could be hazardous to your success :)

So, I guess it depends on the GM. Inventive use of powers should always be rewarded.. IMHO

{what happened to the rules glossary on DDI? }
{kay.. a bit of google-fu on the rules netted me this:[sblock]Summoned Creature

A creature you summon uses these rules unless a power description says otherwise.

Allied Creature: When you a summon a creature, it counts as an ally. The power determines where it appears.

Your Defenses: The summoned creatures defenses are equal to your unenhanced defenses (powers sometimes add pluses to creature defenses)

Hit Points: The creature's max hp is equal to your bloodied value. If it dies you lose a healing surge. If no healing surges left, you take damage equal to half your bloodied value.

No healing surges: The creature starts with no healing surges, but if a power allows it to spend a healing surge you can spend one for it and it gains the benefit, but you don't.

Speed: The power determines this.

Commanding the creature: The summoned creature has no actions of its own. You spend actions to control it. You must have line of effect on it. The two of you share knowledge but not senses.
For a minor action it will: crawl, escape, fly, open or close a door or container, pick up or drop and itme, run, stand-up, shift, squeeze, or walk.
The power determines what other actions can be used for what effect. If a special command is a minor action, you still only use it once per turn,

Attacks and Checks: You make attacks and checks through the creature. It uses your unenhanced stats to make the checks.

Duration: Unless stated otherwise, the creature last until the end of the encounter or until dismisses (minor action).[/sblock]}

Last edited:

Based on what I found online regarding summoning rules there is another aspect that is very tactically interesting with these new summons:

"Commanding the creature: The summoned creature has no actions of its own. You spend actions to control it. You must have line of effect on it."

I am sure that both the summoned monster and the smart bad guys will know this.. and possibly orchastrate a loss of LOE at just the right time :)

I might be tempted to HR that the summoner also had to stay within the powers range in order to command the creature, but that might be a bit too much.

Drevvin

First Post
I think it would be fun from the non wizard playing character point of view to see him after he summons the Balor to forget to command it and watch it tear him in half lol that would be great. *Thats what you get for summoning a badass demon lol*

kerbarian

Explorer
How does the timing work for the succubus's intrinsic nature?

When it hits, "the target is dominated until the end of your next turn". Then, on your next turn you don't give any commands, so "If you haven't given the succubus any commands by the end of your turn, it shifts 1 square and attacks the nearest enemy within range that is not dominated."

Has the domination from the previous turn expired by the time the succubus's intrinsic nature kicks in or not? i.e. can a succubus continue to dominate the same creature every turn with its intrinsic nature, or would it have to switch back and forth between two targets? It seems like the domination expiring and the intrinsic nature are both end of turn effects, but I'm not sure how it would work out given the wording of intrinsic nature.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads