• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New World of Darkness core book free on DTRPG!

Ok, I downloaded it and read quite a bit. Pretty cool, but I have one question for those who have played the storyteller system before (I'm a newb).

Why are * (dots) used instead of numbers?

joe b.

Crothian

First Post
jgbrowning said:
Why are * (dots) used instead of numbers?

I don't think a reason was ever given, it just is a differnent way to do it. I always say though that the first person who fills every dot wins!! :cool:

Turjan said:
That's easy. If you have problems with numbers greater than three, you can just use your fingers :).

I assume you're being facetious? Remember, I'm a newbie for the system so an obvious answer is probably eluding me.

joe b.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
IIRC, the dots represent the number of d10's you get in your dice pool in order to make skill checks. Every die you roll that exceeds a target number counts as one 'success'. In many cases only one success is necessary to complete a task, but complex actions or very difficult tasks may require multiple successes... and of course, more successes = better result.

For example, if you have 4 dots in your strength score, you get 4 d10's to make checks related to strength. :)

Turjan

Explorer
jgbrowning said:
I assume you're being facetious? Remember, I'm a newbie for the system so an obvious answer is probably eluding me.
You are right ;). Crothian and Herobizkit gave the answer; there is no real reason behind it. It's like asking why FUDGE uses these funny dice instead of normal d6's: because someone thought it's cool :).

Herobizkit said:
IIRC, the dots represent the number of d10's you get in your dice pool in order to make skill checks. Every die you roll that exceeds a target number counts as one 'success'. In many cases only one success is necessary to complete a task, but complex actions or very difficult tasks may require multiple successes... and of course, more successes = better result.

For example, if you have 4 dots in your strength score, you get 4 d10's to make checks related to strength. :)

Yeah, they do a pretty good job of explaining how it works, but I was just wondering why dots instead of the arabic numerals that everyone knows.

Turjan said:
You are right . Crothian and Herobizkit gave the answer; there is no real reason behind it. It's like asking why FUDGE uses these funny dice instead of normal d6's: because someone thought it's cool .

Fudge uses different dice because it's needed for the system. They need a + a - and a {null}. Randomly generating that is easier with dice specifically designed for it, like rolling 1-10 is easier on a d10 than on a d20, although the d20 can do it.

So the dots are really just because someone thought it was cool? That's seems like strange reasoning to me... Isn't there any real reason for it?

joe b.

Turjan

Explorer
jgbrowning said:
Fudge uses different dice because it's needed for the system. They need a + a - and a {null}. Randomly generating that is easier with dice specifically designed for it, like rolling 1-10 is easier on a d10 than on a d20, although the d20 can do it.
I just mentioned Fudge dice, because I've seen long and - in my eyes - pointless debates about this :).

So the dots are really just because someone thought it was cool? That's seems like strange reasoning to me... Isn't there any real reason for it?
What's a "real" reason? You don't need an eraser for your char sheet or have to cross out numbers? You can fill out your char sheet by using a gun? Who knows ;)?

Turjan said:
What's a "real" reason? You don't need an eraser for your char sheet or have to cross out numbers? You can fill out your char sheet by using a revolver? Who knows ;)?

This could be cool. Are there anythings that would make you lose dots long enough for you to have to record them on your char sheet (say something like level drain or somthing)? That would make the dots mechanically better than using numbers.

joe b.

Remove ads