• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Newb looking for 3.5 class help!

GunnerRecall10

First Post
Hello all. I am joining a campaign, and am slotted to be a spellcaster. I prefer group cohesion, and this is what the group needs. However, I am really into dark magic and demons and things in the DnD world. I have looked through some of the classes, and I need suggestions.

Are there any spellcasting classes related to dark magic casting? As is maybe blasting with hellfire, or draining life, or anything of that nature? Acolyte of the skin has too low spell progression, I want to be straight caster, and it seems all of the other demonic classes are related to summoning. While I wouldnt mind having this ability, summoning isnt what is like to focus on.

Any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Oryan77

Adventurer
Check out the Fiend-Blooded PrC from Heroes of Horror. You may also want to focus on Necromancy spells since they are thought of as more "dark".

GunnerRecall10

First Post
Can the prereq's and skills be posted on here? I dont have access to the book. To give you an idea, were starting at lvl 7. Id prefer to take sorcerer as my base class.

Callista

First Post
Sorcerer... hmm. Well, you're going to have to pick your spells carefully. You could get the flavor you want with just your spell selection, you know; it's not like you have to go into a PrC if you don't want to when you've got a relatively powerful class like sorcerer.

If you weren't set on Sorcerer, I'd say Warlock... step down in power, maybe, but almost exactly the kind of thing you're talking about, and not a really weak class per se, just not as flexible as the sorcerer.

Now: Do you want "dark" or just flat-out "evil"? There's a difference. It is, for example, quite possible to be a Good-aligned necromancer (at least in worlds where the DM hasn't ruled that channeling negative energy irresistibly draws you to Evil--I've only seen this once, though, and most DMs don't do it). We've got a guy in our group playing a CG Warlock who gets his powers from demons. Needless to say, it's sometimes difficult to tell he's not actually evil.

I wouldn't really be worried about picking a PrC with the right "flavor". I think you should just pick a PrC that lets you become a little more versatile, and use your spell selection to do what you want instead.

Posting prerequisites is probably kosher; it counts as a small excerpt that doesn't actually let you play the class; you'll have to borrow someone's book (or buy one of your own) for that. But I'm not a copyright lawyer. Some of the prereqs are going to be difficult for you because a lot of PrCs are wizard-focused and require Knowledge skills other than just Arcana.

As for your spell selection, there are some really lovely spells that focus on hellfire and/or life-draining. They're called Evocation and Necromancy spells. :)

For example, Ray of Enfeeblement is a 1st level spell, for strength damage. If you get a really good roll on a weaker enemy or hit twice, you might even take him down entirely. Scorching Ray, 2nd level, is your basic fire damage spell; just describe it as hellfire and you're good.

If you're really into fire, Elemental Savant might be an interesting PrC. You do lose caster levels, but that doesn't happen 'til 5th level, so you could get out before then if you liked. Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 8, Knowledge (the planes) 4, energy substitution, peaceful contact with an elemental or outsider.

GunnerRecall10

First Post
Thank you for the feedback Callista, it is very helpful. I suppose I could see playing a Wizard if that's required, just thought Sorc would be an easier choice.

I prefer a PrC because they add a little bit of a narrowed focus if that makes sense. For example, a Monk is a monk, however a tattoo'd monk has a little bit more flavor because of the tattoos etc that make the class unique.

Something about working towards prestiging and getting the necessary required prereq's is interesting, rather than just taking specific spells to call myself a "dark sorcerer" for instance, if that all makes sense, but I'm certainly taking your ideas into account.

BENINHB

First Post
SELL YOUR SOUL!! Be a warlock!!!

Blast people with hellfire, hear Demonic Whispers telling you secrets, Fly on wings of darkness, turn Invisible at will, control shadows, Unleash dark swarms on your enemies

Lack of versatility a problem?? Use UMD to punk magic devices into working for your cause your so awesome.

Magesmiley

Explorer
A few things that will help us help you:

1. What rule books does the DM allow?
2. If you've got your ability scores rolled (or the points buy) that is helpful.
4. Starting money (and any limits on how you can spend it)?
4. You mentioned that you are new - how new is new? Never played before? Just a one-off game? Short campaign? Are you looking for something easy to play or more complex? Depending on your skill and comfort level, more complex options and builds may decrease your enjoyment of the game.

That said, if Complete Arcane is on the list of acceptable books, take a very hard look at the warlock class (as was previously suggested). The general concept behind the class fits well with what you are looking for. You get a few supernatural abilities to work with, but you can use them endlessly (including the class's eldritch blast). In some ways its much easier class for a newer player than the sorcerer.

Dandu

First Post
Fiend Blooded from Heroes of Horror requires 8 ranks in K. Planes... which is not a Sorcerer class skill. Despite this, all the example characters are Sorcerer 6/Fiend Blooded X, and cannot quality for their own prestige class.

The other requirements can be met by a 5th level Sorcerer*, so I suggest talking to your DM and getting the prerequisite changed to something like 4 ranks in K. Planes.

Consult my Sorcerer guide for more information on what can be done with Sorcerers.

Read the Warlock Information Compilation for Warlock advice. Offhand, a Binder1/Warlock8/Hellfire Warlock3 will allow you to blast with Hellfire quite easily.

Warlocks would be simpler to play, but Sorcerers are going to be more versatile and powerful.

*While I cannot post the prerequisites, I can advise that if you were to build a Fiend Blooded Sorcerer, to take the feats Eschew Materials, Blood Calls to Blood, and put 8 ranks in Concentration and K. Arcana, like this character has.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads