• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Newbie Character Advice: Paladin

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
If you're able to rechoose feats, I recommend dropping Combat Expertise and Dodge in favor of Improved Shield Bash (PHB) and Shield Specialization (PHB II). Eventually, pick up Agile Shield Fighter (PHB II) and Shield Ward (PHB II).

Shield Specialization trumps Dodge because the +1 AC bonus is always active. Shield Ward makes it even better, since that feat lets you apply your entire shield bonus to touch AC and to resisting bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, and trip.

Improved Shield Bash (retain shield AC when bashing) and Agile Shield Fighter (TWF, but only with shield, and no 15 Dex pre-req or needing one weapon to be light) are a great synergy with your Exotic Weapon Proficiency--you burned that feat so you could use your bastard sword in one hand, right? Pick up a +1 Bashing heavy spiked steel shield. With all of the above feats, that shield:

1. Gives +4 to AC
2. Gives +4 to touch AC
3. Gives +4 to resist bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, and trip
4. Is a +1 weapon that does a base of 2d6+1 damage (magic, piercing)

When you full attack with your sword and shield, you'll be:

Sangur (+1 flaming bastard sword) +5 melee (1d10+3/19-20x2 plus 1d6 fire) and +1 Bashing heavy spiked steel shield +5 melee (2d6+2/20x2).

-z

Lorenzojr

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
Sangur (+1 flaming bastard sword) +5 melee (1d10+3/19-20x2 plus 1d6 fire) and +1 Bashing heavy spiked steel shield +5 melee (2d6+2/20x2).

Can bashing be put on a shield with spikes?

"A bashing shield deals damage as if it were a weapon of two size categories larger (a Medium light shield thus deals 1d6 points of damage and a Medium heavy shield deals 1d8 points of damage)"

I'm also doing up a Paladin, and smashing people with my shield sounds like a larf

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Darklone said:
Well, I do like Bastard swords... Get one level of Exotic Weapon Master ;)

Besides, it's all about style, baby!

But, you dont need the feat at that point since you are using it 2-handed.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
RedFox said:
So many conflicting opinions. :confused:

Yeah well there's no RIGHT way to play a D&D character. :p Only ways people think is right.

Speaking of right, are you expecting to go into combat with a mount? I only ask because Dragon 349 has a nice feature that allows you to substitute your mount feature for a weapon instead. Said weapon grows with you a good bit AND can be improved via normal means.

Just offering ideas unless you want to use the charging smite alternate class feature.

Darklone

Wrathamon said:
But, you dont need the feat at that point since you are using it 2-handed.
But, if you want to use it twohanded with 2*str bonus instead of 1.5*str bonus, then you'll be willing to spend the feat ;)?

RedFox

First Post
Well I went ahead and got Dodge, and figure I'll probably still go up toward Whirlwind Attack. I mean, why not? BTW, does anyone know if there's a way to change your familiar from a heavy warhorse to something else (like a hippogryph or sommat) later on, or would that require burning a feat I can't afford?

BTW, Combat Expertise came in REALLY handy last Sunday. We ended up facing off against two imps in a narrow (5' wide) tunnel. I was on point and my warhorse was squeezed in behind me, the rest of the party behind it. One imp showed up at the rear and was dispatched, the other appeared right in front of me.

Damn thing stung me in the face ten times before I started using Combat Expertise. The dice were simply not with me, even though I'd prepared holy weapon (or whatever it's called, 1st level Pal spell that turns your weapon good and auto-crits against evil critters). I simply couldn't hit the damn thing in twenty+ rounds. I actually started making secondary poison Fort Save rolls before I downed the pesky critter, and that was only after the druid managed to squeeze past the thing (provoking along the way) to give me a flanking bonus.

And all this because the party didn't want me to "waste" my Smite on the thing. Well... the remaining encounter of the day was a bunch of 1/3 CR goblins. :\

Combat Expertise is golden.

Exotic Weapon and Dodge are expensive feats for a paladin (I wouldn't bother with EW Master with such a low Str, Cha should be your main stat anyho).

For tankage I propose Shield Spec (PHBII)/Shield Ward(PHBII)/Divine Shield(CWar). Cha bonus to shield AC, duration half character level (starts to work at level 9+). And you get a very nice bonus to touch AC and resist bull rush/disarm/grapple/overrun/trip.

And you can't squeeze in enough Extra Smiting (CWar). This is your damage (Cha to hit; CharLevel to damage). Excellent for Sword/Board style.

Practiced Spellcaster (CArc) isn't too shabby either for a full paladin (e.g. +2 Divine Favor at level 6; +3 at level 10).

From scratch:

1. Shield Spec (Buckler - A free hand > 1AC); Shield Ward
3. Combat Expertise
6. Extra Smiting (now 4 smites/day)
9. Divine Shield (Cha bonus of 5-6 by now; 4 rounds duration)
12. Extra Smiting (now 7 smites/day)
15. Extra Smiting (now 10 smites/day)
18. Extra Smiting (now 12 smites/day)
20. (now 13 smites/day)

With your current build:

3. Shield Spec (not Dodge, and don't increase Dex but Cha at level 4!)
6. Shield Ward
9. Divine Shield (Cha bonus of 5-6 by now; 4 rounds duration)
12. Extra Smiting (now 5 smites/day)
15. Extra Smiting (now 8 smites/day)
18. Extra Smiting (now 10 smites/day)
20. (now 11 smites/day)

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
WWA doesn't usually synergize well for the paladin. You can only smite once per round, for instance, it's feat intensive, doesn't work in heavy armor, etc. You've already got Combat Expertise, though, and Dodge and Mobility are certainly useful enough in their own right. Spring Attack has some hidden benefits, such as fighting against creatures with greater reach.

You can have WWA by level 12; that's pretty good. just forget about PA for now; you're using your weapon one-handed, anyway. With the flaming property on your weapon, WWA can work out pretty well if you can bring it into play.

At some point, you are going to want magical mithril full plate, as taking Spring Attack as a dump is not a great idea. Keep in mind that WWA is at your highest BAB, so if you get a chance to enhance Sangur, don't mess with boring plusses; save your pennies for the holy property.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads